All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Peptamen?
      #347727 - 07/01/09 09:03 PM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

Hello all, I went to a new GI doc today and since I have lost a lot of weight and basically am malnourished because I'm scared to have D at work and so don't eat much, he recommended I take this shake called Peptamen. It's expensive, but he said it's the easiest way to get nutrition until we get my D (or A, as it is right now) cleared up. Here is the description:

Complete Peptide-Based Elemental Nutrition Developed specifically for the dietary management of those with impaired gastrointestinal function, PEPTAMEN® is ideal for those who require complete or supplemental nutritional support. PEPTAMEN is formulated for the dietary management of patients with short-bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, malabsorption syndromes, pancreatic insufficiency, chronic diarrhea, radiation enteritis and delayed gastric emptying. Features: Full-strength elemental nutrition from the first day of nutrition therapy Peptide-based for better absorption; 16% of calories from hydrolyzed whey protein Unflavored is isotonic (270 mOsm/kg H2O) for improved tolerance Available in cans (unflavored and vanilla) 70% of fat source as MCT to facilitate absorption; desirable n6:n3 ratio of 7.4:1 Contains taurine, carnitine and ultra-trace minerals for long-term feeding Meets or exceeds 100% of the RDI for 22 key vitamins and minerals in 1500 mL (1500 kcal) Lactose-free, gluten-free NOT FOR PARENTERAL USE NOT FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH GALACTOSEMIA PEPTAMEN diets contain ingredients (e.g., partially hydrolyzed whey protein from cow's milk) that may not be appropriate for individuals with food allergies

It has dairy, but again, this is marketed to people who have IBD and severe digestive problems, and I can't imagine they would include "bad" dairy.

Has anyone tried this? It's expensive so I wouldn't want to use it for a long time, but in the short run to keep me from having deficiency problems it seems pretty worthwhile.

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peptamen? new
      #347741 - 07/02/09 11:23 AM
erindAdministrator

Reged: 03/19/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there,

Unfortunately there is no "good" dairy for IBS. That's likely to make things worse for you. Have you tried the Eating for IBS Diet? if so for how long? This is the best thing to get your IBS stable. I would also try the acacia as this will help with your diarrhea and calm down the enteric nerves. If you're having trouble with cramping and spasms, the peppermint tea or peppermint capsules work great.

If you wanted to supplement with a shake, I wouldn't risk the potential of setting off your IBS even more with this product. Unfortunately many nutrition shakes for IBS contain ingredients that will aggravate the symptoms even more. I would start making your own breakfast shakes. There are many shakes posted, so I would do a search.

I hope this helps,
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist
Heather's Tummy Care / Heather & Company for IBS, LLC
IBS Education, Support, & Products
Toll Free: 866 640 4942 Direct: 206 264 8069 Fx: 206 264 8072
80 S. Washington St. #304, Seattle, WA 98104 USA

Patient Support Site: HelpForIBS.com
Wholesale Accounts: HeathersTummyCare.com
Co-Packing Services

Join Heather's IBS Newsletter Here
Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

#347744 - 07/02/09 11:33 AM
MikeCA1870

Hi Erin,

Yup, I follow the diet. Actually, for the past week I have been following the "crash" diet (all SF all the time, no IF, no triggers, pretty much nothing except white bread, white rice, pretzels, and bakes lays). Along with acacia, that's my diet, and I have simply been see sawing between D and C without any sign of stabilization. Utilizing just the diet and the acacia, I was relatively stable for April and May, but then things went south and I don't know why.

Since even the most strict form of the diet has been inneffective, I am just trying to explore other options. I have been dairy free since Feb however, and was concerned about the whey.

#347748 - 07/02/09 12:07 PM
erindAdministrator

Reged: 03/19/08

Hmmm. I would be concerned with the whey also. You don't want to add gasoline to the fire. Keep in mind that it may take a while for the diet and acacia to work and settle down the enteric nerves.

On another note, have you been thoroughly tested for IBS. Here's a link to all the diagnostic tests for IBS. http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/ibs.asp#tests. Be sure you have had the full screening performed. If not request that your doctor tests them.

Have you been evaluated for food sensitivities or celiac (gluten intolerance)? This can look a lot like IBS but is actually an immune reaction to certain foods. People with IBS often also have food sensitivities as well. Or, sometimes people think they have IBS when it really is just food sensitivities alone. If you followed the instructions for the acacia and have made the dietary changes Heather talks about in her books but still didn't see improvement, you probably either don't have IBS or have something else like food sensitivities going on at the same time. This can make it difficult to stabilize IBS. I would recommend finding a nutritionist, naturopath, or other provider that is familiar with elimination diets to identify foods you may be reacting to. Try www.naturopathic.org to find a good provider in your area. Once you remove the offending foods from your diet, you may be able to get everything under control. Here's a great website that explains allergies and sensitivities if you want to learn more http://www.womentowomen.com/inflammation/allergies.aspx.

Best,
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist
Heather's Tummy Care / Heather & Company for IBS, LLC
IBS Education, Support, & Products
Toll Free: 866 640 4942 Direct: 206 264 8069 Fx: 206 264 8072
80 S. Washington St. #304, Seattle, WA 98104 USA

Patient Support Site: HelpForIBS.com
Wholesale Accounts: HeathersTummyCare.com
Co-Packing Services

Join Heather's IBS Newsletter Here
Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

#347753 - 07/02/09 12:45 PM
MikeCA1870

Dear Erin,

It seems as if most medications or herbal treatments focus on one area, D or C. Is there anything besides just getting more Acacia that works on both extremes? When I'm having a few days of C, I don't want to for example eat a lot of IF that just gives me D the next day, and when I have D if I take say a tricyclic or calcium it may then provoke C. I just want a happy medium!

I have taken many of the tests you suggested, and am in the process of arranging the remaining. Food allergies and gluten sensitivity have been ruled out but my Dr. is interested in SIBO and wants me to try non-absorbing antibiotics.

In the meantime, I just need to find some way to supplement nutrition since I'm skin and bones and I'm sure malnourishment can lead to other health problems besides IBS. It's no fun at all.

Thanks for the help!

Have you tried Amazake shakes? new
      #347755 - 07/02/09 03:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02

They're at a lot of health food stores, refrigerated. The pecan and almond flavors are wonderful, they have no IBS triggers, and they're about 400 calories per bottle. It's really easy to drink one bottle at a sitting. They've got good soluble fiber and are nutritious.

You could also whip up your own smoothies as Erin suggested - that can be fast and easy.

I'd be really careful with the meal replacement shakes. I don't know why on earth they add so many problematic ingredients to those things - everything from dairy to high fat levels. There's an article about them here http://www.helpforibs.com/news/newsletter/08/061008.html#askheather

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Have you tried Amazake shakes? new
      #347758 - 07/02/09 07:31 PM
MikeCA1870

Yes I love Amazake shakes! I always wondered if they were a trigger though as sometimes I got sick later on after drinking them. I could never pin it on them, but I wanted to be sure. They have a ton of fiber (10g in 2 servings, which is a bottle) though, is it all SF?

Also, Amazake doesn't have vitamin C, and I'm looking for a safe source for that.

Thanks Heather! Your books have been very helpful.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8980 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3746

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review