All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sourdough bread
      #347555 - 06/25/09 07:51 PM
bubbles07

Reged: 05/19/09

I have bought a loaf of sourdough for the first time after being on a gluten free diet for the past 4 years - this was thought to be the cause of my digestive upset but it's since been diagnosed as IBS.
The ingrdients are wheat flour and rye . . . . is that safe? The bead has a slight brown tinge rather than being pure white. I ate some last night and have had no symptoms apart from my usual C.

Help!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sourdough bread new
      #347557 - 06/25/09 11:08 PM
Grammy

Reged: 06/24/09
Loc: Massachusetts

I will be interested in following this thread.... I am brand new, here, have thought I was gluten sensitive but now it seems to be IBS - and I am also wondering whether I can now resume eating gluten. I had a sourdough roll this afternoon and so far am feeling fine.

--------------------
Grammy, 71 years of age, very active for someone with Fibromyalgia, IBS, and a scary medical history. Grateful to be alive!

#347560 - 06/26/09 05:20 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If the sourdough bread is not a whole grain sourdough it should be safe. Usually sourdough bread does not contain rye flour it only contains white flour. However, some store sell a rye sourdough. The brown tinge comes from the rye flour mixed with white flour.

I make a couple of loaves of sourdough a week. Next time I make it I will add a bit of rye flour and see how it tastes.

Enjoy

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#347561 - 06/26/09 05:23 AM
Syl

If you did have a test positive for a gluten blood test and if your endoscopy did not show any structural changes from gluten then you should be able to eat foods containing gluten with no problems.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#347563 - 06/26/09 07:17 AM
Grammy

How much of this learning process is going to be trying foods that are new, in order to see whether I get sick? I've missed pasta and would love to get back to it, but I hate opening myself up to another episode of pain. I've tested negative for Celiac Disease, but I know that gluten can irritate anyway, and I've become very ill after some restaurant pasta meals, but of course there was always wine with the dinner and cheese on the pasta. Any advice for starting back to pasta without the cheese, wine, meat, etc.? I'm so NOT up for more pain.

--------------------
Grammy, 71 years of age, very active for someone with Fibromyalgia, IBS, and a scary medical history. Grateful to be alive!

#347564 - 06/26/09 07:25 AM
Syl

Pasta is perfectly fine as long as it is not whole wheat pasta. It was probably the sauces in the restaraunt meals that caused problems.

Check the newletter and exchange recipe index for some good pasta recipes.

Good luck

--------------------

#347571 - 06/26/09 09:34 AM
Grammy

Thanks, Syl. I hope you're right. Time will tell. My books just arrived, gotta open the box and start reading, try a cup of fennel tea!!

--------------------

#347613 - 06/27/09 06:52 PM
bubbles07

Reged: 05/19/09

Thank you for your advice! I went back to the shop and found a sourdough made with purely white flour and have eaten a piece everyday for the last 3 days and so far so good!

Thanks again

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 795 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2527

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review