All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Does any one feel nauseated when eating oatmeal?
      #344844 - 04/22/09 12:57 PM

Unregistered

I have really been trying to work hard on my IBS diet. I was excited when I had lost six pounds after a few short weeks of really looking at what I was eating and eating six small meals of about 200-250 calories each. All of a sudden the C started up again and I look pregnant! Yuck! What am I doing wrong? I looked back at my diet and wondered if oatmeal for breakfast every morning could be a culprit? At first I felt like it was really cleaning me out, but then after a few weeks of it I began to feel nauseous every morning after I ate it. Could eating oatmeal be a problem for some people with IBS? Is it a problem to eat something the same, everyday? I hate feeling so bloated. I am getting ready to go for a third back surgery on May 11, and I am afraid of going into it highly C as I was for the other two. It was a nightmare to get cleared out after the surgery and the anesthesia. I have been trying so hard to get on track before surgery time rolls around. Today I have stuck with tea and a piece of Heathers orange quick bread for breakfast and rice with some cooked veggies and a piece of toasted fresh italian bread for lunch with a few grapes and pasta and brocolli for dinner. How can I get back on track and how do you sort out what is the culprit? HELP!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does any one feel nauseated when eating oatmeal? new
      #344845 - 04/22/09 01:48 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

I eat oatmeal everyday and it doesn't ever bother me. It might have too much IF in it for you. It's 4 fiber 2SF/2IF. Are you putting a SFS in the oatmeal or just eating plain? I always add acacia to my oatmeal.

Grapes tend to mess me up sometimes when I don't feel too well. They have that skin and they are definitely IF. I don't know how to help you this time! I'm so sorry. But you lost 6 pounds! That's a small plus. But your health is more important.

Are you using a SFS?

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#344846 - 04/22/09 02:00 PM
Rebecca1013

Reged: 04/05/09
Loc: Catasauqua Pennsylvania

I can't have oatmeal....and I'm sad cause I love it lol I also don't do well with breads....try cutting those out see if the c stops.....I have alot of brown rice, sweet potatoes and red potatoes

oatmeal new
      #344849 - 04/22/09 05:25 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Look into this: how much oatmeal do you eat at one time? Try half as much and see how you feel
put your acacia into it
try eating it in the evening and see if you get nausea
try eating cream o wheat or rice and see how you feel in the morning
also try the plain instant packets with a little brown sugar on it and smart balance light if needed, instead of your normal oatmeal

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#344860 - 04/23/09 05:42 AM
CharlotteMiranda

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Berlin, Germany

I wonder if the thick texture of oatmeal might be the reason for the nausea - i am a great fan of oatmeal/porridge, but i find that pouring cool soya/almond milk over the top makes it a lot more pleasant to eat in terms of texture. Or perhaps just try having a break from it for a while and coming back to it another time. Maybe try something like soya/rice/almond milk rice pudding for breakfast.

#372121 - 05/22/15 10:20 AM
Delilah24

Reged: 05/22/15
Loc: Washington State USA

I was just doing a Google search with the same question and ended up here. I went ahead and registered because I have had IBS/UC for 37 years and have been asymptomatic for the last 5 years or so, thank goodness.

I have been having a ton of food sensitivities, just in the past 3 years or so, and can't believe that oatmeal would cause me to feel anywhere from slightly nauseous to terribly ill. I have been eliminating foods and supplements for over a year trying to feel better. I have weeded out many things that make me feel ill. Who would guess that oatmeal could also cause a person to feel so sick? I love oatmeal and it's benefits for cholesterol, etc., but now it's obvious that I need to quit eating it. Bummer.

Edited by Delilah24 (05/22/15 10:28 AM)

#372122 - 05/22/15 07:03 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

When I eat too much at a time of food, I'm nauseated; Especially since use to eating smaller meals;Overwhelming stomach or acid's ability to digest all at once? Oatmeal is very filling, probably because it has plenty of the soluble amount of the total fibers. Acidified food too high up in the stomach near the esophogus can make me feel sickly, GERD. Acid likes to kick up in the morning big time.

Instant or regular? new
      #372123 - 05/23/15 04:25 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Some instant oatmeals contain inulun or added oat bran potential IBS triggers. I have regular long cook oatmeal every day

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Are you cooking it with just plain water? new
      #372126 - 05/26/15 11:15 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I got sick from restaurant oatmeal for years, but never at home, until I finally realized most restaurants were cooking it with milk, not water.

XOXO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 197 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13129

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review