All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Heather's Pepperming Caps - who takes them, when and how many
      #342664 - 02/27/09 01:42 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I would really like to go off my prescription antispasmodic completely and was wondering if anyone takes the peppermint caps three times a day everyday or if just as needed, like when you feel an attack coming on. Sometimes I feel, once I get that rumble and queezy feeling and then cramping that even though I take one, it doesn't do much for the upcoming IBS war path attack, I wondered if it is safe to take them as a proventitive. Most GI doctors really know nothing about the benefit of peppermint for IBS, but I wanted to see if there would be a benefit to have it already in my system in case I get an attack? Make sense? Because once my attacks starts it seems like there is no releaving the colon spasm, until I finally go to the bathroom, for how ever many times that may be.......Thanks

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

They are definitely for preventative use new
      #342665 - 02/27/09 01:51 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

The caps have to be taken on an empty stomach, and they need at least an hour to pass through your stomach and reach your intestines, where they'll dissolve.

So, they are meant to relax the gut and head off attacks in the first place.

If you are already on the verge of an attack or in the midst of one, use the Peppermint Tummy Tea instead. It will work immediately.

So, use the caps (which are stronger) for prevention, use the tea (which works asap and on a full or empty stomach) for immediate help.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: They are definitely for preventative use new
      #342666 - 02/27/09 01:55 PM
LtDanFan

Wonderful to know!! I just wanted to make sure they were safe to take everyday three times a day if I needed. I do usually take one as soon as I feel I'm getting an attack, which can be minutes to hours after I have eaten. So one capsules should work up to 8 hours when taken on an empty stomach? I stopped drinking the peppermint tea at night because it makes me pee all night........but I will remember to have my husband make me a brew fo tea when I start cramping and give the peppermint capsule time to disolve. I love the peppermint caps, I just didn't want to over dose on peppermint..... Thanks Heather!!

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

Re: Heather's Pepperming Caps - who takes them, when and how many new
      #342676 - 02/28/09 06:31 AM
birtha

Reged: 02/05/09

I know this question has been asked but I can I take these caps daily during pregnancy? TIA!

#342878 - 03/05/09 12:45 PM
dckeys

Reged: 03/05/09

Quote:

The caps have to be taken on an empty stomach, and they need at least an hour to pass through your stomach and reach your intestines, where they'll dissolve.

So, they are meant to relax the gut and head off attacks in the first place.

If you are already on the verge of an attack or in the midst of one, use the Peppermint Tummy Tea instead. It will work immediately.

So, use the caps (which are stronger) for prevention, use the tea (which works asap and on a full or empty stomach) for immediate help.

- H

I've found that the peppermint caps really help my pain! I also know that FiberCon seems to help a lot. I take 2 FiberCon tablets first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I also take the peppermint caps one hour before eating (just lunch and dinner).

Here's the thing. My wife and I like to eat sushi. I can usually handle a bowl of white rice and a moderate amount of sashimi. However, I get a small stomach ache (the filling of fullness) after eating. I don't get this at all after having a bowl of pasta with a little fish and tomato sauce. So, to prevent the stomach ache, I take another bout of FiberCon and hour before eating a meal I know will not have any soluble fiber. Would it be better to just take a peppermint cap instead???

#342897 - 03/05/09 03:41 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Not really. If it is a meal like you say that has no SF you need SF and pep caps won't replace it. But pep caps can make an iffy meal more tolerable. I take them before eating out to help with fat.

Sushi and rice should be low in fat but the vinegar or the spiciness possibly could cause ouchiness.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#342898 - 03/05/09 03:44 PM
dckeys

Quote:

Not really. If it is a meal like you say that has no SF you need SF and pep caps won't replace it. But pep caps can make an iffy meal more tolerable. I take them before eating out to help with fat.

Sushi and rice should be low in fat but the vinegar or the spiciness possibly could cause ouchiness.

Thanks for the quick reply. Now the confusion is how can I take both. Or, when should I take the SF supplement and when can I take the Peppermint Caps. I know the Peppermint caps should be an hour before but I thought I have to take the SF supplement an hour before also. Also, I just have the sashimi sushi so its just fish by itself w/ no spicy stuff or sauce. I'm just not brave enough to eat a non SF meal without a supplement yet.

#342900 - 03/05/09 03:52 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Another poster had mentioned today that you could take fiber in the morning and pep caps only before lunch and dinner, then a second dose of fiber in the evening. BUT if your meal is going to be low on SF you need some with it. In that case take the pep caps one hour before eating and the fiber with the meal. Taking fiber with a meal is generally recommended.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#342902 - 03/05/09 04:02 PM
dckeys

Thanks so much! I'll try that.

#342906 - 03/05/09 04:43 PM
LtDanFan

Ok, another question. Since most, but not all IBS sufferers must eat several small meals a day, when exactly is my stomach empty? Does that mean completely empty. And, yes I know my stomach is empty when I get up in the morning, but I generally put my citrucel on my tummy with my mixed acacia fiber water mixture. Always first thing, then I eat breakfast. Now, I guess when I read that you should always take fiber with your meals, is this pertaining to one's fiber supplement. I have devised a system that I mix my Acacia in my bottles of water and that way I am getting fiber throughout the day instead of one big clump at once, there for my tummy is rarely completely empty. Is this making sense?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1766 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4450

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review