All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question regarding soluble fiber supplements
      #34061 - 12/28/03 06:54 PM
lauriejf

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Wisconsin, USA

In reading the IBS book and reading the website, I am not sure how to use the supplements. In one place it is said to take between 10 - 12 grams of fiber per day, then in another place it says 12 - 15. I don't know which is right or are they both right? Also, it is said to carry soluble fiber supplements with you in case you go out to eat unexpectedly or if it will be a long time between meals. Is this in addition to the 10 - 12/12 - 15 grams on a regular basis?

The Peppermint Capsules; are they to be taken everyday after meals, before meals or just when there might be a problem? And is the problem the type of meal that is eaten (high in fat and gas producing foods if unavoidable)?

I am really getting into the IBS "eating for a better life" (don't like the word DIET) and these are the questions I have had for a while. I figure this is the place to get them answered.

Thanks

--------------------
Laurie
Angels are willing to fall on their faces once in a while for the privilege of flying.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question regarding soluble fiber supplements new
      #34242 - 12/29/03 02:26 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there - You can go up to 15 grams a day of a soluble fiber supplement. There is actually no hard and fast rule for how much fiber someone should eat each day - the US generally recommends 25-35 grams/day total, and about 1/3 of that should be soluble. But this is a minimum, and there are entire countries where folks eat anywhere from 60-80 grams of fiber a day, and are all the healthier for it.

So, aim for the 15 grams of supplement a day (I'd make that your max dose) and then the foods you eat will be fiber in addition to that. I'd count the soluble fiber pills as a part of that 15 grams - the pills are only 1/2 gram fiber each, so it's not like taking a few them a day will add up to a lot of extra fiber anyway.

There's a whole page on the supplements, dosage, etc. here Soluble Fiber Supplements What's really most important is that you start with a low dose (actually, several divided doses each day), and then gradually increase. You do not want to go from zero soluble fiber supplement to 15 grams of a supplement a day - that will completely overwhelm your gut. Start with just a few grams per dose, and two-three doses per day, and then slowly work your way up.

The peppermint caps are really flexible in terms of use. Whereas the soluble fiber is best taken every day, several times a day, the pep caps can be taken every day or just as needed.

Most folks find them best taken in between meals, on an empty stomach, and a good 20-30 minutes before you'll eat. I actually find them most helpful taken right before a meal - for others, this can trigger reflux. So play around a bit here - try one on an empty stomach, then try one with a meal.

You can take 1-3 caps per day. If you take them regularly they should help prevent problems - especially pain, cramping, gas, and some bloating. If you're well-stabilized, you might want to treat them as an anti-spasmodic and just take when you feel a bit shaky or when you know you'll be under stress, or eating foods that aren't really safe. I take them every day when I'm stressed, when my period is due, or when I'm not eating totally safe (like at restaurants). Other than that I take just as needed. There's no right or wrong with the caps - experiment and find what works best for you.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: soluble fiber supplements: Another question new
      #34326 - 12/30/03 05:07 AM
lauriejf

Thanks Heather. Another question that I have been wondering about. Some of my medication says to take it on an empty stomach and some with food. I asked the Doc and she said that an empty stomach is 1 hour before you eat or 2 hours after you eat. One of the soluble fiber supplement poweders I tried said it should be taken two hours either side of taking medication because it might mess up the effectiveness of the medication. Have you ever heard of this?

--------------------
Laurie
Angels are willing to fall on their faces once in a while for the privilege of flying.

Re: soluble fiber supplements: Another question new
      #34430 - 12/30/03 02:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Consider the soluble fiber supplement to be a food. If your medication can be taken with food, you can take it with the supplement. If the meds have to be taken on an empty stomach, then don't take near the supplement.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks, that makes sense. nt new
      #34538 - 12/31/03 06:38 AM
lauriejf

--------------------
Laurie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2110 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 674

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review