All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: What I would love to see is a study of the same probiotic strain new
      #339677 - 12/19/08 02:48 PM
julieb123

Reged: 07/19/07
Loc: uk liverpool

am so sad why is there lots of fighting on here we are all helping each other and i think that we should be able to say and talk about what we find helps and what dont i no we are all different because i no that i can have bran at time at other times it kills me please no one leave this site am alone as it is i have just found really nice friends

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: No No No new
      #339678 - 12/19/08 03:00 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

Is this web site only here to help people ONLY if they follow Heathers advice? I was under the impression, correct me if I am wrong, that Heather started this site to help other people with IbS. I didn't realize that we were only allowed on if we were vegan.

I think your comments are actually vindictive. No one has ever said that Heather's diet doesn't allow the eating of meat or that the recommendation to avoid dairy is proposing veganism. The simple facts about dairy are on the information pages on this site. We used to say a lot more about eating a little of the trigger foods and how to do so safely. The problem is that in the last year so many people here aren't really following the basic diet. I believe (but don't speak for!) that is what Heather is talking about in her post about getting back to the guidelines. She specifically says the boards are for those following or trying to follow the HFI diet. That should be clear.
Not eating dairy doesn't mean not eating animal products, nor does it mean you have to eat soy, nor does it mean you are some crazy anti-farmer, tree hugger that eats wheat grass and tempeh all day. Dairy is simply one of the hugest triggers to IBS and by avoiding one has the best chance of getting stable. I assume that once we all get the idea of that and help newbies do so, we can resume recommending the safest ways to cheat when stable and what works for each person. Most of the posters on the board right now (or those that post the most) are far from stable. It is irresponsible to put the idea in their head that they don't have to give up or lessen dairy. It is hard to make the change to an IBS safe diet and the focus should be on helping people do so, in my opinion.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#339681 - 12/19/08 03:10 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Whats tempeh?

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Well Said, Little Minnie - nt new
      #339682 - 12/19/08 03:13 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

My apologies new
      #339683 - 12/19/08 03:26 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

if my posts upset you.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#339685 - 12/19/08 03:55 PM
ericai

Reged: 11/09/08
Loc: Nassau County, NY

Sounds like people are taking this very personally.

We're here to help each other out. I haven't found any of the posts to be pro-dairy or pro-meat or offensive or vindictive.

As a new person to the site and diet, it has been VERY helpful to read everyone's posts/experiences with all suggestions.

I agree with dragonfly, everyone's IBS is different. We all have different triggers. I do find that most posts encourage me to stick with the diet. I also realize that those that do talk about foods that are not within guidelines are for those that have stabalized. So I'm not totally clear on why dairy and meat can't be discussed, but it is what it is. Is there another area where it can be discussed? Or not at all on this site?

It's up to me to do what's best for my IBS. I feel I'm educated and can make some good decisions. I have read Heather's site with all the background information. I'm reading her book right now as well. I'm starting the hypno CDS too If I try to cheat and it doesn't work, I've learned a lesson and try to avoid it in the future.

I have found Syl's posts to be very helpful and objective (sharing research and what has worked for him).

I also appreciate everyone else who has posted!

Hope we can keep helping each other!

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

The diet guidelines avoid red meat and dairy for IBS reasons, new
      #339686 - 12/19/08 03:56 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

not to urge people to be vegan.

This particular board, the Eating for IBS diet board, IS limited to dietary discussions that follow the rules of the diet.

I realize that everyone is different, people will cheat, and some people will tolerate cheating to some degree. But the point of board is to get people stable, and no one can do that if they don't start by avoiding all the potential triggers to get a baseline. Cheating negates that very opportunity.

There are NO recipes on this site that include red meat. That would never be allowed.

This board can be a great way for someone who is stable to learn how to expand their options, and for people who are exceptions to the rule to learn from each other. But again, that is assuming a baseline of stability, and no one will get there if they try run before they can walk.

I love your posts, and Syl's, and Little Minnie's, but because the boards seem to spiraling a bit out of control around this issue I am going to continue to lock posts that veer off topic, even if they are interesting or have other merits.

Things will just have to be a bit black and white on the board for a while before we can get back to having shades of gray.

XOXO
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6857 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7811

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review