All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
question about meats
      #339346 - 12/14/08 09:54 AM
HollyA

Reged: 11/30/08
Loc: Southern Indiana

My father-in-law is a cattle farmer and he and my husband butcher all of our meat. They also do deer and pork. It is all very very lean- the leanest meat/pork you'll ever eat. Not only that but they cut most of the fat off. When I cook the ground up beef, deer or pork on the stove there is usually nothing left to drain it is so lean. Is it then okay for me to eat it? What about the pork? I would be estatic to find out I can eat ground meat again- and it would save me lots of money too!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question about meats new
      #339353 - 12/14/08 10:48 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Depends on how stable you are.My dad is a beef farmer too.We now have a frezzer full.I try to limit my beef intake to once or twice a week.Red meat really isn't that good for ibs so eat small portions with lots of sf.Big potato,bread,safe veggies etc.
Home grown is SOOOOO good. For all those people who dislike meat I say come try home grown, store bought just doesn't compare.

Just keep your portions small and see how you do with it. Pork doesn't agree with me no matter what but beef I'm ok with.

I've never had deer.Whats it taste like?I've been hearing alot of stories lately as is was just deer season and i have to say I have a new respect for hunters.I was always against it but not so much anymore.
Good luck to you,

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#339355 - 12/14/08 11:11 AM
HollyA

Reged: 11/30/08
Loc: Southern Indiana

thanks for taking the time to reply- I really appreciate it! Deer (ground up) tastes a lot like ground beef but it has a 'wang' to it. That sounds funny but it is the only word I can think of to decribe it! My husband likes to deer hunt- at first I wasn't too fond of it but once I saw how much money we were saving I got more motivated to cook with it! I use it instead of ground beef in chili and tacos... if used in a recipe with a lot of seasonings you can't tell much of a difference between deer and ground beef. We have a big deep freezer- I use the deer every now and then so we don't go thru all our beef too fast. My husband says the deer meat is a lot healthier than beef because of how lean it is. Don't know if that's true, it's just his opinion.

#339359 - 12/14/08 12:00 PM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

My brother-in law is an avid deer hunter so I can get venison whenever,but I don't like the taste at all, so I don't eat it. However, he also gets some of the venison made into hot sticks or jerkey....and these are really good. And, yes, venison is much leaner and almost no fat, so I guess you could say it's healthier.

Hey Dragonfly, do people buy directly from your family or do you sell to the local grocery stores???

Sharon

#339360 - 12/14/08 12:19 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I eat small amounts of pork tenderloin and bison about once every 7 - 10 days when I am stable. However, I increase my IF a bit when I eat meat. It takes a bit longer to digest red meat. I find it slows down the transit time of the food which changes the timing of regular bowel movements. I think it also increases the sensation of fullness and pressure in the GI tract. IBSers are more sensitive to these sensations and can find them disquieting. While things like deer and bison are lower in fat than beef I believe it is the protein density and connective tissue that takes longer to digest animal meat compared to fowl and fish.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#339367 - 12/14/08 04:03 PM
dragonfly

Hey Sharon,
My dad does sell some of his beef. Usually a side or a quarter. This time around he didn't have enough to sell just enough for my brothers and I and himself. We don't sell to local grocers there are alot of regulations around that but to sell privately thats ok.
If you are interested look around your area and see if you can find a local farmer that sells beef. Sometimes its hit or miss though and the meat might not be as good as you hoped.We got lucky this time and its SOOO goood.
ask around see if anyone has bought before and who they would recommend.We sell for about 2.25 a pound (canadian)

How have you been otherwise?

--------------------

#339430 - 12/15/08 04:23 PM
sharond

Hi Dragonfly,

Actually, there is a family owned meat market close to us and has been around forever with a really good reputation. I'll have to check it out. I'm sure it's really pricey but since we hardly ever have it, once in a while will be like a treat. I know what you mean about the quality difference.

Anyway, thanks for asking.....It took me a loooong week to get past that flu (which messed big time with the ole IBS), but I'm finally starting to do better.

Take care.
Sharon

#339438 - 12/15/08 06:04 PM
dragonfly

Glad to hear it sharon, it seems that this time of year throws us all into a bit of a tussle with our tummys.
I have had a few rotten weeks , started with eating cucumbers(bad bad bad) then ended in a bladder infection which led to a yeast infection with has left me kinda c.Then on Sun I broke a tooth and can't eat on that side of my mouth,heading to dentist Tuesday and need to take one of my anti anxiety pills(they work awesome but leave me dizzy)
Then Saturday I'm hosting Xmas. Hmmmm think I have tummy issues?AHHHH!

Whew... so how are your christmas plans going??

--------------------

#339450 - 12/16/08 01:09 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

ok guys, you make my mouth water .

To answer the original question - I eat pork as well and never have problems with it. I only eat the lean cuts (tenderloin, lean chops, etc.), and I trim all the fat off. I agree that the key is not to eat a lot of it, and have a safe side dish to go with the meat. I don't eat pork every day though, mostly because I actually really like the taste of chicken, and it's faster/easier to cook with. I'm not a huge beef-eater. Even if I eat a really lean cut I feel like it sits in my stomach like a stone. So I only enjoy a serving every few months or so.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re:Dragonfly/ question about meats new
      #339460 - 12/16/08 05:57 AM
sharond

Dragonfly,

Look at it this way, the worse is behind you, now you enjoy the holidays!!! Aren't those Ativan great for a quick anti-anxiety fix??? I've decided that if I have any event that is coming up which will cause anxiety, I intend to starting taking them a couple of days in advance!!!!!

Things are hectic around here as well...having friends and family in and out but the big deal is Christmas Eve which my sister always host. The biggest problem this time of year is the scheduling to get everyone together at one time...Christmas Eve just works the best for our family.

Well, it's only Tuesday, so by Saturday you should be fine....just start popping those Ativan if you feel stressed (hehe)

Take care.
Sharon

Re:Dragonfly/ question about meats new
      #339487 - 12/16/08 02:35 PM
dragonfly

Thanks so much sharon,I had my tooth pulled today and my jaw is pretty sore.I am also on another round of antibiotics.
They Ativan works soo good but makes me dopey i won't be leaving home wothout them.

Thanks for the wishes.
Love back at ya.
Chris

--------------------

So sorry, this post really violates the guidelines of the board. new
      #339536 - 12/17/08 11:49 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1402 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3947

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review