All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Forgot to ask: MIRALAX and LIBRAX???
      #3390 - 03/19/03 06:32 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Totally forgot to mention in my update from the GI that he prescribed miralax and librax for me. I'm okay with the miralax, just sort of sounds like a "sooped up" version of metamucil or citrucel, neither of which has done much for me so we'll see if this does or not?? But the librax has me a little freaked now. I see that it is for the spasms, etc, which is great, but it can make you drowsy and/or dizzy? Like a muscle relaxer, right? Geez, I don't need that! I'm already tired enough and dizzy sometimes from just the symptoms I've already got. Besides, I'm just the type of person that would rather deal with some pain than not feel "like myself". Has anyone here taken this stuff? I really just don't even think I want to take it, and just stick it out until the tests next week. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! I will also do a search to see what you all have said in past boards about this.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Forgot to ask: MIRALAX and LIBRAX??? new
      #3392 - 03/19/03 06:50 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

My Internist took me off Librax after I told him I fell asleep durning the day on my couch for an hour while my three children played outside unattended.
It will make you feel drowsy. I take it only as needed around 9:00p.m. Usually I don't feel 100% alert until noon the next day
Good luck figuring out the dosage. Talk to your Pharmcist they know more about drug interactions than your own doctor

Miralax new
      #3394 - 03/19/03 06:54 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - this isn't a soluble fiber supplement, it's a true laxative. Found good info at web page

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#3396 - 03/19/03 07:17 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Thanks guys. I've done some more research of my own. I think this Dr just prescribes this stuff to anyone who comes in complaining of IBS type symptoms. Because there is no way I'm taking librax!! One of the BENEFITS is that it decreases frequency of BM's. Good grief, I'm not going as it is!! Yes I have pain but I don't need to stop everything altogether! And I certainly can't be dealing with drowsiness, dizziness, pounding heartrate (I explained that I have bad tendency to tachycardia so again, surprised he would suggest this). I just think that it's best for me to get the tests to rule out what COULD be wrong with me, but if we're just talking about managing symptoms here, I'm better off with my current regimen than taking this librax stuff. Still eager to hear from anyone else, though.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#3433 - 03/20/03 06:43 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

My doctor put me on miralax this week. I have taken it the past two days and I woke up this morning really nauseated and very weak. Has anyone else ever been on miralax and have you ever had this reaction?

--------------------
lovejoy_22

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1278 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1142

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review