All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Colonoscopy results and zelnorm--Heather new
      #3393 - 03/19/03 06:51 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I would ask your doc specifically about taking a fiber supplement with Zelnorm. I don't know why there would be a problem, but I'd also want a medical opinion on that.

And yes, people do need at least 25 grams of fiber a day, and most folks don't get nearly that much. Zelnorm can't replace dietary fiber in terms of what you need for overall good health (and GI health as well).

Let us know what you find out.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Colonoscopy results and zelnorm new
      #3397 - 03/19/03 07:25 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I just would like to add that my doctor diagnosed me with IBS and then gave me Dicetol. It worked
for a few days, but after about a week it stopped all together.

He also told me the similiar thing as your doctor did - he said I could eat all the red meat and dairy I wanted
and then told me to cut out starches (ie pasta and potatoes). I tried that for about a week and realized I
was having quite a time sticking to that diet, that's when I ran across Heather's diet.

Since then I don't take the pills at all - I only follow Heather's diet. I don't take an Metamucil or anything
just a multi-vitamin. And I only carry the Dicetol for emergency where there is nothing else I can possibly
eat. For Example: At my step sister's wedding I had to eat there and couldn't not eat because it was going
to be a long night so then I took one of those pills and had a bit of turkey and some salads and loaded up
on the potatoes. I found these pills to work then. Only as back up!

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#3400 - 03/19/03 07:48 PM
jst4kdz

Reged: 03/10/03
Loc: Burlington, Ontario Canada

I was put on the Dicetel as well. I found it helped a bit-but am off it now. I take a multivitamin in the morning, a Caltrate 600 at lunch and 1tbsp of Metamucil before bed. Things seem to be O.K. My mornings are much calmer as I tend to go to the bathroom at a pretty regular time each day.

Re: Colonoscopy results and zelnorm--what is DICETOL? new
      #3403 - 03/19/03 08:03 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Thanks for responding!

What is dicetol--I've never heard of it? Any info. would be greatly appreciated--thanks bunches!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Colonoscopy results and zelnorm--what is DICETOL? new
      #3434 - 03/20/03 06:46 AM
Lana_Marie

It's a pill and it says right on the package for IBS. That's about all I really know about it.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Lana_Marie

PS - I am Canadian - where are you from - maybe these pills are not available everywhere?

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#3435 - 03/20/03 06:47 AM
Lana_Marie

jst4kdz:

Do you carry the pills around for emergencies? I have found this very helpful...

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#3479 - 03/20/03 03:44 PM
Leanne01

Reged: 02/03/03

I took Zelnorm for a couple months and it seemed to help me. Also I was taking Citracel every day. At first, the Zelnorm might give you diarrhea, but that is one of the side effects and headaches are another side effect. I am now off the Zelnorm and just taking Citracel. My IBS isn't that serious because I don't have the stomach pain that some people have. (I have the occasional stomach ache but not to where I'm doubled over) Mine started out with diarrhea and then it went to constipation and stayed at that. I'm doing better now and like I said, I'm still taking Citracel every day. I hope it works for you. Let us know.

#3504 - 03/20/03 05:49 PM
jst4kdz

Reged: 03/10/03
Loc: Burlington, Ontario Canada

Lana- I tried hypnotism in the sumer and was going great. I had just finished my last pack and did not repeat. I do not suffer from abdominal pain like it says on the box. I find now the Metamucil is helping. I take Immodium advanced or Pepto in a case of problems. I also keep Altoids with me at all times, as they are very calming. I think this Dicitel is popular in Canada for sure.

#18394 - 08/24/03 12:11 PM
javafiend

Reged: 08/23/03
Loc: DeSoto, TX

I saw your message on the IBS message board.
I hope you can help me. I am a graduate student at George Washington University. I am in the process of finishing my thesis about women who are taking or have taken the prescription medication Zelnorm. I need about ten women volunteers. The purpose of my paper is to interview these women over a 2 month period to gather data on their quality of life before and after taking Zelnorm. You will only be identified as "case" studies. I would love to speak with you. If you are interested in participating, please email or give me a call. Thanks Any information you can provide me would be greatly appreciated. My phone number is (972) 223-5454 Thank you
Kimberly

Javafriend, please read new
      #18402 - 08/24/03 01:44 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

It's not necessary to crowd up the board with the same message over and over again. Once is enough! If someone is interested and wants to respond, they will.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4334 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6050

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review