Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Syl, a quick refresher please?
      #334837 - 08/19/08 07:49 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi Syl,

I like to tell myself that I eat so well IBS-wise, but I do still eat a lot of sugar - organic gluten-free dairy-free cookies and the like... but it's still sugar. I can't imagine it's helping my gut and I want to cut down. I don't think I have fructose malabsportion (I'm pretty sure I was tested, can't recall) but I'm still thinking I should reduce the fructose in my diet (as per Heather's newsletter of today's date).

Question: Could you remind me again what is fructose vs. glucose sugar? The list of ingredients on this box of cookies I'm looking at just says "organic sugar". Is that cane sugar? What should I look out for?

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Syl, a quick refresher please? new
      #334851 - 08/19/08 09:00 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Glucose and fructose are simple sugars. White and brown table sugar (sucrose) contain exactly equal amounts of glucose and fructose. Generally speaking only foods that contain more fructose than glucose are problematic for those with fructose malabsorption.

The sensitivity of an individual with fructose malabsorption to the fructose in excess of glucose can vary from as much as 25 gram to as little as 1 gram. So while one person may be able to eat say 100 grams of apple (equivalent to about a small apple) which contains about 7.6 grams of fructose and 2.3 grams of glucose another person might not.

The key ingredients to watch for are high-fructose corn syrup, fructose, fructose-glucose and levulose. With corn syrup you have to read the label because for example, Crown makes two kinds of corn syrup: Golden which only contains glucose and Lily White which contains fructose-glucose. When corn syrup is used in foods the label has to indicate whether or not it contains fructose or fructose-glucose. Inverted sugar is fine because it is simply white sugar (sucrose) where the glucose and fructose molecules have been separated from each other; however, there are still exactly equal amounts of both sugars. Inverted sugar is produced during the making of jams and jellies because of the natural acids in the fruits. Organic sugar and cane sugar are the same as white/brown sugar and they are safe.

Figure 2 in the second article in this message contains an excellent table of favorable and unfavorable foods for individuals with fructose malabsorption.

I hope this helps

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

FYI, there was a typo in the newsletter sugar article today.... new
      #334856 - 08/19/08 09:48 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

white and brown sugars are sucrose, not glucose. The info is corrected on the archived newsletter on the site but the newsletter send had the misprint. I'm so sorry about that!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#334885 - 08/19/08 12:58 PM
Kimberley321

Reged: 01/21/08
Loc: London, UK

I appear to have trouble with all fruit except for bananas and am being tested for fructose sensitivity soon....I was just wondering....and this may sound silly but.....
If i covered an apple in glucose (not sure where i would get pure glucose) to combat the fructose, do you think that could work? I'd sooooo love to be able to eat some fruit without pain just once even if it was no good for my teeth!!

#334890 - 08/19/08 01:38 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You have asked a very interesting question. In theory adding glucose to fruits with excess fructose should work. I have done a little experimenting with jam and jellies. It seems to work, however, I have been experimenting mostly with berries that only have a small excess of fructose.

You can buy pure glucose at a HFS. Generally it is sold under the name of dextrose or corn sugar.

I think you will have to experiment. For example, you might make a small amount of applesauce and add glucose to try and offset the fructose. Here is a link to a table giving rough amounts of each sugar in a number of fruits. The USDA food database also has information on the amount of various sugars in fruits. Needless to say the variety of each fruit, the soil and growning conditions will contribute to the sugar ratios. Also, you will have to take in consideration the amount of IF contained in the fruit. Some fruits can be quite high in IF which can be a problem, at least for me. Anyway - give it a try and tell us how it goes.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1295 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1033

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review