All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: trying to get IBS symptoms under control new
      #32821 - 12/19/03 10:26 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Jasper - Check over the insoluble fiber foods info - that will answer a lot of your questions. web page

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#33013 - 12/21/03 01:28 PM
trendywendy

Reged: 12/14/03

Dear Chris,

You mentioned that you are exercising although it is difficult. You said in parenthesis (gas and cramping)....the good thing about the exercise especially the yoga positions is that you will get the gas and cramping associated with it out! "Get out of there bad gas and cramps!"

As for the SSRI's, just research up on it and see if there are one's that aren't as bad in the gastrointestinal area. I'd help you on this but I haven't been working as a psychologist for two years and they have introduced a few new meds in the last year "they are always marketing some new antidepressant". So, I'm kinda out of the loop on what to recommend. Also, be sure that it is indeed the anti-dep causing these sx.

Good Luck!

#74798 - 05/30/04 04:08 PM
littleone24

Reged: 05/30/04
Loc: London, Ontario

I just started taking an older antidepressent. So far so good but it doesn't take effect for a few weeks, and it's a very low dose. 10mg. They're called Apo-amitriptylime. (Not sure of the spelling.)The Doctor said they should help with pain as well. A side effect was constipation, but that's better than the other I think.

#74813 - 05/30/04 05:46 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

I had to try several antidepressants before I found one that helped me. I started with desipramine, an older one, then tried buspar. Finally I tried Zoloft, which I knew from Heathers book might be a bad choice since I'm IBS-D. I had 4 weeks of d when I started zoloft, but I was determined to give it a chance. After 4 weeks, the d stopped, and now I've had 3 of teh best months I can remember. I don't know how long you've been on the ssri you take, but if its been a short time, I'd recommend giving it a little more time before asking your doctor to switch. Also no one has asked, are you also doing therapy or just the drugs? So many doctors now prescribe antidepressants without encouraging people to talk through the problems that the drugs provide relief for.
Good luck with it all, its a frustrating bit of trial and error for us all.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 419 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4475

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review