All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
acacia allergy?
      #323438 - 01/28/08 03:25 PM
crazylizardlady

Reged: 07/11/07
Loc: NJ

anyone ever been allergic to acacia? i just got tummy fiber and tried it , half teaspoon twice a day , for one day. this may have been a coincidence, but my throat got very sore that day. I thought I was having an allergic reaction, so I took some benedryl. Turns out, I think it was a cold that just came on the same day I started taking the fiber. I now have the runny nose and congestion that usually follows a day of sore throat. Just wondering though if it's possible to be allergic to it. I want to try it again. I think I'll wait till my cold is gone. P.S. diarrhea got worse these last 2 days. Guessing it's from the virus/cold. Anyone notice worsened symptoms during a cold?

katharine

--------------------
IBS/GERD/Lactose Intolerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: acacia allergy? new
      #323441 - 01/28/08 04:36 PM
Fatso

Reged: 01/18/08
Loc: United States

Quote:

Anyone ever been allergic to acacia? i just got tummy fiber and tried it , half teaspoon twice a day , for one day. this may have been a coincidence, but my throat got very sore that day. I thought I was having an allergic reaction, so I took some benedryl. Turns out, I think it was a cold that just came on the same day I started taking the fiber. I now have the runny nose and congestion that usually follows a day of sore throat. Just wondering though if it's possible to be allergic to it. I want to try it again. I think I'll wait till my cold is gone. P.S. diarrhea got worse these last 2 days. Guessing it's from the virus/cold. Anyone notice worsened symptoms during a cold?

katharine

Gum arabic
Gum arabic, Gum acacia (Ingredients)
Heather paints a picture of a miracle cure (or the closest thing to it), but I wonder just how much this helps, and how much is just a placebo.
The active ingredient (if not only ingredient) in Heather's Tummy Fiber™ Acacia is a sugar substitute, and can promote carbination in some liquids.

Edited by Fatso (01/28/08 06:47 PM)

Please be careful with some inaccuracies here... new
      #323444 - 01/28/08 05:38 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

acacia is not a sugar substitute, nor is it ever used as one. It's just pure soluble fiber. It has no bearing on carbonation, though it is sometimes used to emulsify oil and water in carbonated beverages (like Coke). It actually has a lot of properties that are useful to food and beverage manufacturers, and it's used for tons of things outside of the edible applications.

It's soluble fiber, which is classified as a carbohydrate by the FDA, though it has no digestible caloric content.

It's not a miracle cure, nor would I claim it is. But it's a great soluble fiber supplement that can be a tremendous help for diarrhea and constipation both. There's nothing else added to it on purpose - I don't want anything in there besides soluble fiber.

There's full info about soluble fiber supplements on the site here http://www.helpforibs.com/supplements/sol_fiber1.asp

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#323445 - 01/28/08 05:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - you can be allergic to it. Most folks already know if they are because acacia is in so many foods and beverages (even Altoids mints are made from it).

Since it does sound like you were getting a cold instead of an allergic reaction, just wait till you're feeling better and try the acacia again. If you still have problems just let us know at help@helpforibs.com.

And yep, colds and other illnesses can definitely make IBS flare. Have some hot peppermint, fennel, or other herbal tea and that will help all your symptoms all-around.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#323471 - 01/29/08 04:22 AM
crazylizardlady

Reged: 07/11/07
Loc: NJ

Thanks Heather. I think I will try acacia powder in a few days after my cold is gone. I'm pretty sure it was a coincidence getting the sore throat that day. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your response.

Katharine

--------------------
IBS/GERD/Lactose Intolerant

#323485 - 01/29/08 10:45 AM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

Acacia gives me facial rash. Go figure!

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

More questions about acacia allergy... new
      #331188 - 06/17/08 09:26 AM
Grumpybutt

Reged: 06/17/08

Not new to the products or the web site...but new to the boards.

For the longest time I have been wanting to use the
Acacia Tummy Fiber but am fearful of a reaction.
Have been reading all the posts about allergies to Acacia. Have severe 4+ to Acacia trees...but understand that the specifics we are talking about are from Acacia trees in Africa.

Heather...you mentioned Altoids as an example of a common product with acacia. Do any others come to mind...ones that might be harvested from African trees as well? I checked all the labels of my common food inventory....but did not see it listed.

Meanwhile....I will continue my Pep Tea every morning and follow what I call my "Heather Diet". I know you've heard this a million times (which is GREAT)...but you've changed my life and I am forever grateful.

Check ingredient lists for gum arabic... new
      #331254 - 06/18/08 03:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

That's another term for acacia.

Glad you're feeling better!!!

- H

--------------------

#331995 - 07/04/08 10:21 AM
andyy

Reged: 06/21/08

Hey ,
I was using acacia powder for last one week,.. I got the same allergic reactions as you mentioned here,.. SORE THROAT AND COLD,.. So we are allergic to acacia,.. IF THAT IS THE CASE what is the alternative? Please inform me what did you do?/ Did you stop taking acacia ?? or what?

Thank YOU

#332109 - 07/07/08 08:29 PM
andyy

Reged: 06/21/08

Hey what did you use for the facial rash. I recently bought acacia and my face is full of rashes because of the allergy. Could you please inform me what products did you use to treat rash?
Thank YOU

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4520 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4672

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review