All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
question about the different teas
      #31516 - 12/12/03 05:52 AM
bev82

Reged: 08/15/03

Could someone please help me I am so confused. I know alot of people drink the teas . I mostly am looking for teas that will help with gas and bloating.

Right now I have peppermint which i think is for pain, ginger for nausea (I get this alot) and chamomile for cramps. Do I have it right that these are the symptoms that these teas are for.

If anyone could help me I would appreciate it.

bev

Edited by bev82 (12/12/03 06:00 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Fennel, fennel, fennel for gas and bloating.......... new
      #31529 - 12/12/03 07:45 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

But I think it tastes yucky, so for me it's a hold your nose and down it quickly type of tea.

--------------------

Re: Fennel, fennel, fennel for gas and bloating.......... new
      #31627 - 12/12/03 03:19 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Or you can do a mix. I mix my fennel with peppermint, so not only does it go down easier, I get the effects of both!

#31741 - 12/13/03 07:35 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Yep - good trick. Peppermint will help with gas and bloating. Fennel just tends to be even better for it.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#31751 - 12/14/03 12:19 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You can even buy mixed teas that contain fennel. I get one from Covent Garden (London) that has fennel in as well as lots of other hebs. It tastes great and really helps the bloating. You might be able to mail-order it. If anyone's interested, I'll get the email address.

#31755 - 12/14/03 03:59 AM
katgirl

Reged: 10/31/03

linz - at last, someone from england! do you order acacia and peppermint caps through heather or have you found an alternative in england? and what teas are these? i have been searching the shops and the internet but britain seems to be behind in the world of IBS!...

Us Brits new
      #31756 - 12/14/03 04:06 AM
Linz

Hey there...there are a couple of other Brits on here - BritSarah, Morven and POADB (Rich) are some I can think of off the top of my head.

Fibre supplements are the biggest problem I've found. I get Fybogel which you can get in most chemists, but this contains sweeteners and can cause bloating. Maybe we could all group together to order some Acacia to keep the cost down???

If you want peppermint capsules, Colpermin is widely available. You can get this on prescription (much cheaper!) or at most chemists.

With the teas, I've mostly been getting Twinnings herbal teas, but these can be quite expensive. The Chamomile, Honey and Vanilla is yummy tho! If you get to London, the fennel tea I get is from a stall in Covent Garden that sells soaps and herbal stuff - it's called skinfoods.

Where do you live?

Linz

Re: Us Brits new
      #31758 - 12/14/03 05:32 AM
katgirl

I live near birmingham, tho im actually at the University of Durham. Im sure that Birmingham has far more choice than Durham, which to be fair is a shopper's nightmare for anything!

I was on fybogel myberverine for a while, it really didnt react well with me, so im completely avoiding that! I have just ordered more acacia from Heather....it only costs $3 less to order more than 1 bag which isnt really that much cheaper than ordeirng it one at a time!

Im going to london for new year, so i'll try and get to covent garden and have a look. Twinings teas are nice, i have camomille and spiced apple, which is quite nice, tho im not really much of a hot drinks person so i have to make an extra effort to drink the teas!

#31763 - 12/14/03 07:10 AM
Linz

Hi there.

The mebeverine is a different thing - it's an actual drug, not just a supplement. I was on mebeverine for a while and it killed me. I don't think it agrees with many people.

Some of the others make iced teas - maybe you would prefer this. Ask Mags for details. I think I'll try the Chamomile and spiced apple - that sounds nice.

Good luck.

Linz

#31767 - 12/14/03 07:38 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

For the iced teas, I just took some teabags (I think about 6-8 - it's been awhile) and brewed them in a big pitcher like a giant pot of tea, sweetened with a little sugar, then when it had cooled some, I chilled it in the refrigerator. Viola - iced tea! LOL

I was playing around with using different flavors of tea bags mixed together. (Like 4 peach & 4 berry for example) Just use your imagination and combine whatever flavors you like!

#31803 - 12/14/03 01:22 PM
katgirl

I made iced tea bakc home before, tastes yummy. Can't wait to get home for xmas, when i cook decent fresh food and make yummy iced teas ) worst part of Uni - has to be that your standard of food goes downhill consierably (well for me it did anyway!) tho I have discovered that Marks and Spencers half-roast chicken is quite a reasonable price for the amount you get...and yummily scrumptious at the same time! D x

#31809 - 12/14/03 01:38 PM
Morven

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Scotland,UK

i haven't found any fibre supplement that helps as yet! grrr! Also have meberverine,maybe its a standard uk GP thing to give out!! Never really use it,unless i am desperate! I love my twinnings peppermint,and holland and barrats has nice mint tea too! Have you ever tried tazo refresh tea-you get it in starbucks,its lovely! Am trying to like camomile,but it aint happening,have tried the spice apple one before,its nice,and there is a blackcurrant and something one too which is yummy!

--------------------
Morven

#31866 - 12/15/03 01:54 AM
Linz

Kat, do you not have a kitchen at Uni? Maybe you could consider moving to self-catering accomodation? That's what I did at uni and it was so much easier.

#31880 - 12/15/03 06:46 AM
katgirl

Im in a college system so its catering...or catering! There is a kitchen, but no hobs, just a microwave...im just sticking to simple foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 796 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2123

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review