Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
September Health Magazine
      #314210 - 08/29/07 03:25 PM
Husky82

Reged: 08/30/06
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hey Everyone,
When I returned home from work last night I found the September issue of Health magazine waiting in my mailbox. After having dinner, I sat down and skimmed through. On pg.90, there is an article called 'The Top New Remedies for Irritable Bowel'. The items they talked about weren't that new. It talks about probiotics, herbal supplements (peppermint and chammomile), and keeping a food log. What shocked me in the article was that one of the suggestions was to 'Get more fiber'. THis is what the articles says, "Try eating more apples, oatmeal, whole-grain bread, and air-popped popcorn." What? No wonder so many people feel like there is no end to their suffering. It makes me want to write a letter to the editor!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Aargh! new
      #314215 - 08/29/07 03:34 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Sadly, this kind of ignorance about the different types of fiber and how they help and/or hurt people with IBS is very wide-spread. If you do write a letter to the editor, please post it. If you include the address, I'll write one myself.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: September Health Magazine new
      #314236 - 08/29/07 06:13 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

OMG! I was searching the web yesterday, googling IBS Diet to see what would come up and yeah, there were things listed to eat that are the total opposite of what one should! I got pissed off reading it. Things like whole wheat, whole grain, prunes, etc. were listed. WTF?

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#314239 - 08/29/07 06:45 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

How lucky are we that the advice on this website exists!! I don't care how many times I have to explain why I won't eat someone's mega-grain maximum fibre ultra-whole-wheat health loaf - get it away from me!!!! - I just can't believe how life improves once you understand soluble and insolube fibre. Phew.

Although I've noticed here in Australia there's a bit of an advertising push on oats and their soluble fibre content for cholesterol reduction which is interesting. There's an oat cereal out now that you can eat cold which will be good for summer coming up! Can't sweat it out over hot porridge all year!

#314274 - 08/30/07 07:45 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

There's different approaches to treating IBS. Maybe that diet works for some.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#314303 - 08/30/07 11:52 AM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

The first doctor I went to for Ibs said to eat prunes, so I did that for the most horrible, stuck at home, week of my life! A doctor, I can't imagine...

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#314355 - 08/30/07 10:51 PM
eyesofchina

Reged: 08/08/07
Loc: Chicago, IL.

Yeah I agree with Jordy. There are millions of other people with IBS who are able to handle it very well and very easily. I guess we're not so fortunate but a lot of people ARE helped by doing just what the artical says & they stabalize very quickly or else it would not be pretty much the only advice we ever get from anyone.

I do think a letter to the editor, explaining the differences between insoluble and soluble fiber would be good though and how there is more than one way to treat IBS and the other one needs to get some recognition too because for some people just "getting fiber" doesn't help.

If you post the address I would like to write a letter as well.

No - there are actually clinical studies new
      #314378 - 08/31/07 10:21 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02

showing that insoluble fiber, particularly wheat bran, makes people with IBS worse, not better.

It's bad advice. Just because it's been repeated ad nauseum for decades doesn't meant there was ever any basis of truth to it, or that it's somehow helpful now. It ignores literally all the dietary research on IBS and how fibers physically affect the gut.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

I just wrote the editor. -nt-
      #314380 - 08/31/07 11:06 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: No - there are actually clinical studies
      #314381 - 08/31/07 11:09 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Very interesting. I would appreciate it if you could give reference to these studies, particularly those concering IBS-C. I would like to added them to my library of IBS reference material.

Thanks

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2146 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8810

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review