All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sodium Trigger?
      #3131 - 03/18/03 11:40 AM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Some of Heather's delicious recipes call for soy sauce, and one in particular called for two kinds of soy sauce. Has anyone ever found a link between sodium intake and IBS symptoms? My D episodes seem to occur after meals with high sodium content.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sodium Trigger? new
      #3133 - 03/18/03 11:43 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Could you be sensitive to MSG? That is coming up as a problem with some people, and just about all commercial soy sauces have MSG in them.

I don't know of any link between sodium and IBS attacks, but if I come across anything I'll post it.

And welcome to the board!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#3136 - 03/18/03 11:54 AM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

About 15 years ago I asked an allergist to test me for MSG reactions, but he refused, citing a death and subsequent ban on MSG allergy testing. Sometimes I have D after MSG, sometimes not. It certainly isn't the sole cause of my GI woes.

Heather, I just want to thank you sincerely for your energy and dedication to this cause. You are articulate, sensible, generous, and apparently tireless. My spouse thanks you for all the great food that has passed through our kitchen since Eating for IBS came out. I am a citrophile, and your Pucker-Up Buttercup Lemon Sorbet has thrilled me enormously. I have found that sometimes I have to get up at 4:30am just to have one more spoonful. I'm going to experiment with substituting grapefruit for the lemon. I will keep you posted.

#3139 - 03/18/03 11:59 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Aw, thanks!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#3156 - 03/18/03 01:18 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Heather,

Can sodium cause bloating? If so, are there things you can to do to minimize or eliminate bloating caused by sodium (like drinking lotsa water after--does that help)?

THANKS!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#3211 - 03/18/03 05:03 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Yes, salt will definitely make you retain water and bloat. Eliminating excess salt in your diet (which mostly comes from processed and commercial foods) will help. So will drinking lots of water - the more the better!

- Heather

--------------------

#3214 - 03/18/03 05:08 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Salt is NEVER a trigger for me, in fact i put salt on practically anything and everything. unfortunatly though i dont get enough water in me, and i get dehydrated at times (especially after ive consumed a whole bag of sourdough pretzels)

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 754 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 940

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review