All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Newbie with attack Q
      #30766 - 12/09/03 11:11 AM
Samuel12

Reged: 12/09/03

Hi All:

New to the board. Great info. I'm learning alot! Male age 44, been to GI and had all the tests. Only one I'm still waiting on is Gluten tolerance. Dr. is thinking IBS, just wanted to run by you the symptoms of my 'attacks' and compare with some of you to see if any of you have similar symptoms. Seem to have a pattern. After a relatively good day (or days) with little or no symptoms, I'll start getting lower abdominal cramps, almost always in the evening, with the need to have a BM. Usually the BM is firm but low volume. The cramps and discomfort will continue overnight (sometimes disrupting sleep) into the next morning usually with a lot of gurgling, at which time I'll usually have 1 or 2 good BMs. Cramping will wax and wane then I'll have a couple more BMs that are loose. Cramping will tend to subside but then I become queasy and nauseous for most of the day until it subsides usually that night. Eating doesn't seem to make it better or worse. I'm trying to follow alot of the guidelines I've learned here and thru other sources as far as diet, supplements, etc. Just trying to confirm that this seems to be consistant with IBS. I don't have C and quite honestly very little D. It's mostly cramping, gurgling, queasyness/nausea. Any replies would be appreciated.

Thx

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Newbie with attack Q new
      #30901 - 12/09/03 08:29 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi and welcome to the boards - honestly, I don't see any red flags that would say it isn't an IBS attack, but it is good you're doing all the tests to make sure.

You say eating hasn't made it better or worse. How about the supplements? Are you currently taking fiber supplements? How have they helped?

Re: Newbie with attack Q new
      #30982 - 12/10/03 10:04 AM
Samuel12

Hi Mags:

Thanks for your reply. Just hearing from others can be very helpful. I'm just now going thru a 'trial and error' phase as far as supplements. Started this week with the probiotics and enzymes. Also took a fiber supplement 'FiberChoice' Now the rub is, both times I took the FiberChoice, last week and this past Monday, those respective nights I had the worst attacks, cramping, nausea, etc. So I'm a little apprehensive to go with FiberChoice. Could be coincidence, but I don't know. I really don't get that much D. When I go stools are pretty well formed. Problem is first I get the lower cramps (and gurgling) which usually last for several hours, then after they subside (usually the next day) I'm left with a day of nausea and queasyness and it's driving me coo-coo. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

I would NOT use FiberChoice new
      #31168 - 12/10/03 01:00 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

It's soluble fiber, but it's made from inulin, which can cause horrible bloating and gas in people who don't even have IBS. I'm actually starting to think that inulin is even less tolerable than psyllium (Metamucil).

Try the Acacia, Citrucel, Benefiber, Equalactin, or Fibercon instead. Avoid artificial sweeteners. If you're prone to upper GI problems avoid citric acid. For just a plain, pure soluble fiber supplement, Acacia and Benefiber are the only two I know. Benefiber can cause bloating and gas in some folks, but it doesn't seem to be super common. Acacia is probably the least likely of all to cause bloating or gas in the first place, and after you've been taking it regularly it will increase your good gut flora, which can actively reduce bloating and gas. This will work especially well in conjunction with your probiotics, as Acacia encourages the growth of probiotics in the gut. Acacia info is here, as it's not in stores Acacia

Try some hot peppermint or fennel tea to help get you back on track after your attacks.

And welcome!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I would NOT use FiberChoice new
      #31189 - 12/10/03 03:26 PM
Samuel12

Hi Heather:

Great hearing from you. Just wanted to say job well done on this site and your exhaustive info! I will take your advise on the Acacia. Also, to try to maintain my weight (I lost about 15 lbs. due to eating extremely bland when this all 1st came on)I've been recently supplementing with Ensure. Wondering what your thoughts were on that whether it would be good or bad. Thanks again

Ensure - not good for IBS new
      #31400 - 12/11/03 12:39 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Sam, and thanks for your kind commments! Here's a link to info about gaining weight while keeping your diet IBS safe web page Also, search the boards for that topic - it's come up in the past.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any meal replacement drinks that are IBS friendly. They all have either too much fat, or they contain dairy (especially things like whey or casein), or even artificial sweeteners. It's a lot safer and healthier to just make your own smoothies. You can search for some past great posts on that, or just throw into a blender fresh/frozen fruit (try varieties without tough hulls or seeds, like bananas, mangoes, peeled peaches for most of the fruit), soy or rice milk, a few small spoonfuls of a nut butter, and soy protein powder.
Blend until totally smooth.

Also, check health food stores for Amazake drinks. They're made from rice, totally delicious, and have about 400 calories per bottle. There is nothing but good stuff in them and you can keep them in the freezer if you want a bunch on hand. It would be really easy to drink 2-3 Amazakes per day, and that could easily add on some good calories.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Ensure - not good for IBS new
      #31465 - 12/11/03 03:51 PM
Samuel12

Thanks Heather,
I kinda suspected as much. I should have known better as I'm usually fairly up on ingredients, etc. and I didn't pay much attn to what's in Ensure. I was also using a weight gain powder that was made with Whey protein and fructose and I sure had fun with that I'll look into the Amazake drinks! I use rice milk now and have for a number of years. Actually, before I started having attacks, I was eating alot of the way you should with IBS to try to prevent migraines which was fairly successful. But, ironic that now I'm dealing with IBS. Anyway thx again for the help!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 664 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1298

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review