All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS Hypnotherapy Tapes
      #3068 - 03/17/03 07:03 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I'm really considering trying the IBS hypnotherapy tapes by Mike Mahoney, but I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who's tried them.

I've read a lot of great things about them in Heather's book, The First Year, as well as the website for the tapes. With all of the great things Heather has done to help (books, boards, support, etc.), I really respect her positive opinion of the tapes, and I think they may be a good thing for me to try.

One of my big hurdles dealing with IBS is anxiety and the fear of having an attack if I leave the house. Although I have improved much since my IBS symptoms first started (I used to NEVER leave the house unless absolutely necessary. I couldn't even make it to a store 5 min. from my house without panicking.), I still have problems with travel, day trips, etc. I'm just always afraid of having an attack, which if it doesn't cause an attack, I feel uneasy and never relax enough to enjoy myself. There are quite a few things I used to do that I have not done in about 4 years or so that I really miss: concerts, amusement parks, museums, just to name a few. All because of this darn fear of having an attack! I do still go to movies (very rarely) and restaurants, but there's always that little nagging feeling that I may have an attack that I just can't shake.

This is why I think the tapes may work for me. It seems they help deal with the anxiety/stress/phobia aspects of IBS, so I'm really leaning toward buying them. I just think I need that last little push, and I was hoping that could come from someone who's had personal experience with the tapes.

If anyone has tried them, I'd really appreciate some advice. Or even if you haven't tried them, I'd love to hear your opinion!

Thanks for listening!

Mags

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS Hypnotherapy Tapes new
      #3072 - 03/17/03 07:39 PM
jst4kdz

Reged: 03/10/03
Loc: Burlington, Ontario Canada

I too have the same anxiety issues. I worry to much about attacks happening that I prefer to stay home.Let me know about these tapes as well. With the summer coming I would love to take the kids on road trips etc. like I use to love to do.

Hang on... I think we have a hypnotherapy board coming soon. new
      #3079 - 03/17/03 09:18 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I'll keep you posted, but I'm hoping to get a board up for hypnotherapy and IBS very shortly. It really is a great option, but people have a lot of questions and we need a forum for this. I think it would be a much more widespread form of help for IBS if folks just knew about it.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: That would be great! -nt- new
      #3092 - 03/18/03 04:33 AM
*Melissa*

#3093 - 03/18/03 04:42 AM
*Melissa*

jst4kdz - I hope we both find something good about these tapes! As well as for anyone else! Although I don't have kids (yet ), I do have a little sister (she's 9, I'm 29) and it's really hard, because I'd LOVE to take her places. When she was first born, I couldn't wait until she was old enough to go to the shore/movies/etc....now, it's just so frustrating.

Oh well...we'll see what happens.

Mags

Re: Hang on... I think we have a hypnotherapy board coming soon. new
      #3094 - 03/18/03 05:25 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Heather, you're the BEST! I have been wondering about hypnotherapy since I bought your book First Year--and I would LOVE the oppurtunity to learn more. You think of everything--thanks so much for caring about us!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#3195 - 03/18/03 03:09 PM
sek

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Virginia, USA

I just ordered the tapes last week. I'll keep everyone posted...hopefully on the new hynotherapy board!

My Hypnotherapy new
      #3233 - 03/18/03 06:59 PM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

I tried hypnotherapy for a few months without much success, but it was not hypnotherapy specifically for IBS. I didn't even know about IBS at the time, I was just trying to get a handle on my "restaurant phobia."

The hypnotherapist had no idea how to treat restaurant phobia, so he adapted one of his quit-smoking sessions for me. My lungs felt strangely cleaner for a time, but I still suffer from anxiety on trips and when eating out.

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

Hypnotherapy forum coming soon... new
      #3242 - 03/18/03 08:54 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hang in there. We should have a board just for IBS and hypnotherapy next week. It makes a really big difference if the therapy is geared specifically to IBS, and a lot of therapists don't have any experience in that field. If they do, their success rates are usually extremely impressive.

Cleaner lungs...you kill me.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: IBS Hypnotherapy Tapes - I got them! new
      #3671 - 03/21/03 03:37 PM
*Melissa*

I did it! I ordered the tapes & they're on the way! WOO-HOO!! I'm so excited. I found some info online & real live people positive feedbacks (as opposed to clinical stuff)...I heard nothing bad, so I'm all for trying it. I really believe this will help.

I look forward to posting my progress on the All New Hypnotherapy Boards!!!

Re: Can't wait to hear!-nt- new
      #3789 - 03/22/03 10:09 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 862 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2334

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review