All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
The twelve grams of fiber really works!!!!! Question for Heather
      #30648 - 12/08/03 06:34 PM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

I have worked up to 12 grams of soluble fiber in the form of benefiber-which is the easiest for me to take-don't even know it's in my chamomile tea. I am taking two tbs twice daily-this is the right amount Heather?? No bloating or abdominal distress!!! Thank you Heather!!!! maryh

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

This is great! 12 grams should be just fine - very healthy. -nt- new
      #30668 - 12/08/03 10:19 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: This is great! 12 grams should be just fine - very healthy. -nt- new
      #30684 - 12/09/03 08:42 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I have a question, is the goal to get around 30-35 grams of total fiber a day? Cause from food I'm able to get 20-30 grams a day, and not sure if I should supplement on top of that.

--------------------
IBS-C

That's a good goal... new
      #30829 - 12/09/03 02:57 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

if you can get all your fiber from foods, that's great. The soluble fiber supplements are just a fast, easy, effective way to make sure you get enough. They're also great to take right before a meal to keep your gut stable - sometimes eating soluble fiber foods isn't really what you feel like doing right before you eat a meal. Same thing for when you're out and about, or you realize you've gone too long without eating, etc. The supplements are a super convenient and effective way to keep yourself stable when it might be tough to eat.

I like to take the supplements regardless - I know they can't hurt (it's next to impossible to get too much fiber - you'd have to really deliberately abuse things) and they definitely help, so it's a win-win situation.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: That's a good goal... new
      #30832 - 12/09/03 03:30 PM
angelfire

Reged: 12/09/03

Heather:

I recently purchased your book, and while I'm not expecting miracles, I feel absolutely NO BETTER - still horrible cramping, bloating, pain, etc.; I am going to have to buy new clothes to accomodate the bloat. I'm also not sure why, if "Eating for IBS" is supposed to help so much, then why the extra supplements, hypnosis, yoga, etc.? I know that the book isn't a miracle cure, like I said, but I'm feeling more than a little hopeless right now.

#30837 - 12/09/03 04:00 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Hi Rebecca, sorry your not doing well right now. Are you D or C proned? The book is to help us cut fat from our diets and eat some delicious foods besides blan. The supplements are there to help you deal with the symptoms of IBS, everyones body is different not all recipes will work the same for each of us, so there sometimes is a need to modify and identify what foods are safe for you. Meditation or hypno is good source for recovery and regaining self reassurance again. Bloating can be a number of things for one individual. Are you currently taking meds? Are you using a supplement fiber? Ibs is no fun as you know. It tries our patience tremendously, but once under control you can control IBS. Stay with it and stay on the board there are so many here that can share their experiences with and maybe you can find more solutions. Good luck and look foward to chating with you.

#30838 - 12/09/03 04:03 PM
angelfire

I am not sure what D or C proned means. I understand what the book and supplements are for, the trouble is that they are not helping me at all. I am currently taking birth control (Nortrel) and am taking both Citrucel (not the sugar free kind) and Fibercon. Without sounding like a complete drag, it doesn't sound like anyone on here has gotten better or overcome IBS. I cannot live the rest of my life like this. I know that I am not the only one, obviously, but I have no idea how people live for years and years with this.

Good luck to you as well, and I look forward to chatting with you as well.

you are an investigator new
      #30840 - 12/09/03 04:17 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

i continually eliminated things from my diet for weeks at a time and tried many different supp's to start to get relief. you are an investigator, and IBS leaves clues. For me, I eventaully uncovered that I cannot tolerate lactose or fatty foods, need lots of fiber, soluble fiber supp's, and DEFINITELY priobiotics (the sole reason I got back to normal pooping.

I know you won't give up -- because living in pain is no fun. Unfortunately, only you can solve your problem. Everyone else is just a means to you reaching your goal: relief. We are here to help you -- best of luck in your search.

Shanna

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Re: you are an investigator new
      #30841 - 12/09/03 04:18 PM
angelfire

I'm glad that you were able to find solutions. Nothing I've tried has worked. I'm giving it until 12/31.

Re: rebecca new
      #30847 - 12/09/03 04:28 PM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Rebecca, In case you were still wondering: C is constipation and D is diarrhea. Sometimes people suffering from IBS tend to be one or the other or sometimes both in the same day. Just so you know that while most of us still suffer from attacks and we still suffer from stomach problems, most of us have felt at least some relief and definetely feel the support from others when we need it. But if things aren't working for you please don't give up hope that you will feel better and you will be able to get through this. You may have to experiment with foods and you may still be eating something you don't realize is irritating your IBS. Good luck and keep posting if you have questions because there are lots of people who can at least offer some support.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1645 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3141

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review