All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Question for Heather/ Am i eating too much starch?
      #306 - 02/02/03 01:45 PM
shannon114

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Ireland

Hi,i joined the other forum (being new to all this)and i sent you post asking you if i was eating too much starch,so here i go again.A friend of a friend bought your book and she loaned it to me and i have to say it was brilliant,i imediatly changed to eating soluable food and found my IBS (C)under control,this all happened Dec 2002.I also lost 14lbs to date which i am thrilled about as i am overweight.
Here is my problem,i came to a halt loosing weight and i am wondering if i am eating too much carb/starch.Here is what i mostly eat.
Breakfast:Oatmeal with lindseeds,fibregel water and Peppermint tea.Apiece of fruit and water up to lunch.
Lunch:Two or three slices of white bread with chicken or turkey breast,warm water or peppermint tea.
Dinner around 6:00:Two or three potatoes,fish or chicken,carrotts,little califlower,warm water,sometimes stewed apple or mango.
Late evening 9:00 or 9:30,treat,small bag low fat crisps,not too often,my eating is more or less the same,so is there too much starch here?
Since changing to soluable food i go to the loo every morning after i drink the hot water,this is a miracle for me
as my constipation was so bad and that would be it until the next morning.Now i have another question? i started to take ACIDOPHILUS,tablet form about four days ago and i notice now (well today anyway)that i went to the loo three times,very normal,never in my life before and i think this is great,do you think this is due to Acidophilus?
I hope i have given you enough info for your reply,thank you in advance.Is there anyone else here found this happened to them?
Tina.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question for Heather/ Am i eating too much starch? new
      #309 - 02/02/03 02:38 PM
KinOz

Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Shannon114,

Hi, I suffer from IBS-c also. I don't think you are eating anymore starch than I am and I am maintaining a weight of 50kg. Just from talking to others I have heard that when the weight loss stalls increasing exercise can be a big help. I'm not sure about the acidophilus- I know it helps to maintaina healthy dig system and I have read that it can improve regularity although I haven't found that to be the case for me. If it works for you that's great! Good Luck!

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#315 - 02/03/03 03:09 AM
shannon114

Kin Oz,
Thank you for your reply,i know i should take more exercise,maybe longer walks,i need to loose weight but thankfully my ibs is under control.I have noticed some great recipes but most of the food would be different in Ireland.Thank you again,appreciate it.
Tina.

Answer from Heather - finally! new
      #398 - 02/04/03 05:51 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Shannon - Thanks for your patience. I don't think you're eating too much starch or too many carbohydrates at all. Your diet sounds fairly well-balanced and as long as your portion sizes aren't huge, you're probably fine. The suggestion to increase your exercise is a good one - in particular, adding more muscle will raise your metabolic rate even when you're resting.

Do make sure you're drinking enough water - that helps your body burn fat efficiently (and is also crucial for your constipation).

Check your diet for hidden sources of sugar (drinks, perhaps?) as that's just pure empty calories.

You can increase your soluble fiber supplement and decrease some of the soluble fiber foods to lower your overall calorie count. But make sure that you're eating the foods you need for good nutrition. It really doesn't sound to me like you're over-eating or like your diet is starch-heavy at all.

You may also just have a hit a plateau, and if you stay constant your weight loss may begin again. Exercise will definitely help here.

For the acidophilus, these supplements sometimes help diarrhea, especially if you've taken antibiotics. I haven't heard of them helping constipation. They usually take several weeks to have an effect, so it's a bit odd that you noticed results right away. But, since they seem to be helping, certainly continue them. There is no harm at all and some real possible benefits.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#422 - 02/05/03 04:43 AM
shannon114

Great i finally found you,i thought maybe i did something wrong as i am new here.Thank you again and it's nice to be here with all the help that is here.I intend sending for your books soon,as i said a friend here in Ireland got it and loaned it to me but i would like my own,there is just one thing i was wondering about,i would also like to order the cook book but i'm not sure if i can get the same food here in Ireland that is in your recipes,when you can let me know what you think,many thanks again.
Tina.

Re: Acidophilus/Antibiotic new
      #2636 - 03/12/03 05:52 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Quote:

For the acidophilus, these supplements sometimes help diarrhea, especially if you've taken antibiotics. I haven't heard of them helping constipation. They usually take several weeks to have an effect, so it's a bit odd that you noticed results right away. But, since they seem to be helping, certainly continue them. There is no harm at all and some real possible benefits.

Hi everyone! Last year, I was diagnosed with a trace of tricuspid valve regurg (sorta leaky heart valve thing). The doc said it was nothing serious, just that I have to take antibiotics for any dental work. Next month I will be going to the dentist for the first time taking antibiotics. Last summer, I had to take antibiotics for strep throat and the antibiotics killed me--vicious D! This was the first time I'd taken antibiotics in years, and they had never bothered me in the past--but, I didn't have IBS back then either! I had to take them again in Jan. right before a colonoscopy, so I couldn't really tell if they bothered me then with everything going on anyway. Is there anything I can do, such as these acidophilus supplements to help prevent an attack? And if so, should I take them with the antibiotic (it's 4 500 mg caps of amoxicillin 1 hr. before procedure)? Or should I start earlier? Or, will the antibiotics not have an effect in such a short period of time?

This is also a stressful situation for me, because my first "public" attack was at the dentist, so it brings back bad memories. I had to get up out of the chair about 4 times or so to run to the bathroom, and finally he just sent me home! Typically, I would just take some imodium as preventive maintenance against an attack, but it says on imodium to check with doctor/pharmacist before use if taking antibiotics.

Thanks!
Mags

#2645 - 03/12/03 10:56 PM
KinOz

Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi,
My naturopath told me to start taking acidophilus a few days before starting the antibiotics and at the highest dosage rate as well. He also said to continue with them for a week or two after.

Hope this helps!
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#2657 - 03/13/03 03:37 AM
*Melissa*

It does help! I'm going to try to find some this weekend.

Thanks,
Mags

#3782 - 03/22/03 09:44 PM
*Melissa*

Kerrie - I went to the store today & there were 2 shelves of acidophilus products! The lady at the store tried to help me, but I still wasn't sure what to get. I wanted to check back here first. (I won't need them for about a month, so I've got a little time.)

They had pills, chewables, liquid. Some had to be refrigerated, some not. Does it matter which kind? I read the other thread on acidophilus & there were all kinds of concerns, etc.

What should I look for on the bottle? Do you have any recommendations?

Oh, and she also said not to take them with the antibiotic. How long of time should I leave apart?

Sorry for so many questions...

Thanks so much,
Mags

#3800 - 03/23/03 07:28 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Karla - I think the anti-biotic kills mostly all bacteria and the acidol... is bacteria. Maybe that's what she meant--not to take them at all together. Stop one and then start the other. Beats me???

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 950 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2968

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review