All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Calories, food portions, any advice?!?!?!?!?!?!
      #3056 - 03/17/03 03:56 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

How many calories should a person get a day (I'm 5"6 and weigh about 115 pounds). I get full after a fourth a cup of oatmeal in the morning--should my portions be this small? How many calories do I need to eat a day? So I need a nutritionist to figure this out--or can I just listen to my body?
I eat more than what fills me up--but I feel sick afterwards. It's hard to just eat what fills me up--especially when eating with company. But when I eat too much, especially at one time, I get bloated and gassy. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is a fourth a cup of oatmeal or the equivalent thereof with other foods 6 times a day enough food? I just want to be healthy!!!
Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks bunches!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Calories, food portions, any advice?!?!?!?!?!?! new
      #3059 - 03/17/03 04:26 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Ruchie - Give folks on the board a chance to read and reply to your messages before you re-post them. It usually takes a day or so for most of the board to see a message, so have a little patience (I know that's hard when you're not feeling well).

Your height and weight sound like they're at a healthy point, though you might be a bit underweight . Your body mass index comes out to 18, and an index of 19-25 is considered healthy. You would know best if your body fat percentage is within a healthy range, if you are just very small-boned, if you have good muscle mass, etc.

I found a chart on calorie requirements for women. The levels below are defined as:

Resting Metabolic Rate represents the minimum energy needs of the body, for day and night with no exercise or exposure to cold.

Sedentary includes occupations that involve sitting most of the day, such as office work and studying.

Light includes activities which involve standing most of the day, such as teaching or laboratory work.

Moderate may include walking, gardening, and housework.

Active includes dancing, skating, and manual labor such as farm or construction work.

Resting - 13 per lb. body weight
Sedentary - 14 per lb. body weight
Light - 16 per lb. body weight
Moderate - 18 per lb. body weight
Active - 22 per lb. body weight

This should let you calculate your daily calorie needs. Your portion sizes will depend on how calorie-dense the foods are. Fats are the most calorie-dense, so portion sizes for low fat foods will be larger. Most people drastically overestimate the portion sizes of foods, though. You're probably eating reasonable portions - most people eat too much.

I really wouldn't eat more than you need to fill you up - that's not good for your digestion at all. Keep your portions small, eat as frequently as you're hungry, and drink lots of water too.

If you're having trouble keeping your weight up, there is some info here web page

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#3095 - 03/18/03 05:40 AM
Snow for Sarala

I'm so embarassed!

Thanks so much for respoding! I'm feeling pretty alone in all of this right now. I'm still trying to figure everything out--
I used to be pretty big on the socail scene in my community--and now it's become difficult to go to all the events I used to, even though I'm C BM. Sometimes my stomach hurts so much, I miss events. I also don't like to bring attention to myself--so bringing a bakes potato or my own bread makes me feel awkward. Maybe I should just get over it? My mom has ulcerative colitis and IBS--but she doesn't take of it--and she's no open to trying new things. She also is a very private person who doesn't discuss personal things with others. I guess this has shaped my world view--and while part of me thinks it's important to educate people and bring IBS out in the open--another part of me shies away from that.

Again, I apologize if I seemed impatient--I just feel very alone and my life seems backwards right now as a result of all the stuff going on I mentioned above.

My husband lets me talk to him about my IBS--but he's a very private person also and doesn't talk to me about his BMs or anything like that. So it's a little uncomfortable to talk to him as well. I don't feel like I have anyone who I can really share my fears, anxieties, etc. with.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent! I hope that I can break my family cycle of privacy and embarassment--if you have any ideas let me know what you think. Thanks again!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#3138 - 03/18/03 11:58 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Aw, no, don't apologize or feel embarrassed. This is certainly a safe place for you to talk about IBS anything - and everyone will understand and be empathetic. I know it can be hard to get that from "real people" sometimes.

I kept my IBS a secret for decades -partly out of embarrassment, partly because I just figured no one would understand what I was talking about. But when I did finally start to just tell people as a matter of course, something really surprising happened. Everyone was really nice, kind, and understanding. And - big surprise for me - everybody told me they either had IBS themselves or they knew someone who did! That helped a lot.

For the social events, I've found that if I just bring a good amount of food that's safe for me, but present it as treats for everyone, and don't mention that the foods are "special", there's never anything but gratitude. I usually bring baked chips or fresh white bread with some dips or salsas I've made, and a loaf or two of zucchini or banana bread or chocolate applesauce cake. I started doing this quite a few years ago, and all people knew was that "Heather always brings great food!" They had no idea that food was a necessity for my own health. So that might save you some awkward explanations on the social scene.

I think you're already breaking your family cycle by posting here, and by trying to share with your mom and husband. They're probably really grateful to have you talk to them, even if they're still not comfortable talking back. But one day soon they might surprise you, I hope.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#3157 - 03/18/03 01:27 PM
Snow for Sarala

Heather,

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!! You have such a positive attitude--it's contagious! I hope you're right--that my fam. and my husband (also family ) WILL be more open in the future--but whether they are or not, I can't control--but I can control myself. I have wanted to break the family cycle for years--and I think you're right, I am! Posting on the board is the first step! (I also shared the info. with my coworkers--which before reading your book I probably would have kept everything hidden until I couldn't any longer).

You're a very special person Heather--and I'm SO SORRY you suffered in silence like you did! I want you to know you're helping thousands of people every day with your books and with the message board--thank you for making it so that we don't have to suffer alone!!! *hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1357 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 691

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review