All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
SOY- Let's be honest here
      #30453 - 12/07/03 02:28 PM
bearyd

Reged: 12/02/03
Loc: fl

Ok...so I priced some of the items found at my local Walmart super center. Seems tofu is only $1.53 for Mori-Nu. I don't understand the difference between soft,firm, and extra firm in cooking terms that is. Could someone enlighten me. I also found the Vegie cheese in American, Swiss and Provolone varieties for about $2.50. So how much different is it in taste? Let's be honest, please. I really am having the hardest time giving up the dairy and would like to find good replacements. Thanks for all your help.

--------------------
Carrie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: SOY- Let's be honest here new
      #30456 - 12/07/03 02:36 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - the tofu textures make a big difference. Usually, recipes will specify what texture to use. For blending into smoothies, puddings, cheesecakes, etc. you'll want the silken. For adding in little cubes to something like miso soup, you'd want soft. For cutting up and pan-frying you'd want firm or extra-firm. Basically, the firmness of the tofu will determine how well it holds its shape. Also, if you have any access at all to an Asian grocery store, Chinatown markets, etc. you'll find tofu will cost about half as much as at WalMart.

For the veggie cheeses, I find that the versions that have casein (a milk protein, which some IBS folks tolerate just fine in trace amounts, but other folks do not - you'll have to try to know) are really very tasty, especially melted into recipes or used in grilled sandwiches. I like American, Cheddar, and Pepper Jack flavors. They're great for nachos, egg white omelettes, pizza, etc. I do NOT like any of the completely casein-free brands I've tried. I keep hoping a new one will come out, but the ones I've tasted so far were atrocious. The exception is the completely dairy free soy Parmesan, in a shaker jar. That stuff is great.

I don't think you'll find that a slice of soy cheese is going to hit the spot for you when you're craving something like an aged bleu cheese or a wedge of Brie or some such. But they are one heckuva lot better than nothing at all in most recipes, and they're also much, much more tolerable for your gut.

I've heard good things about the Uncheese Cookbook - actually bought it, but haven't yet tried anything from it. It's supposed to be vegan versions of all kinds of cheese, and totally convincing. You can check out the reviews on amazon.com and see what you think.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#30466 - 12/07/03 03:47 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

My favorite soy cheeses are Veggie Shreds by Galaxy Foods. They do have casein, but it's never bothered me at all. I really enjoy both the cheddar and mozerella flavors, and frequently use them in place of shredded cheese. Galaxy foods also makes Veggie Slices (I think that's the same), and I often buy their swiss flavor and use it on sandwiches. I agree with Heather that the cheeses without casein definitely leave something to be desired. I hope you find a brand that you like! I think all you can do is experiment with a few and see which ones appeal to your taste buds. Good luck!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#30472 - 12/07/03 04:16 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I just wanted to say that freezing tofu definitly changes the consistancy, it makes it chewier/more meat like. I definitly prefer freezing firm tofu for using in stirfries or in sandwiches. Using it straight from the package is too smushy for that, I use unfrozen firm to make things like fake scrambled eggs and fake egg salad.

As far as cheese, I use Tofuttie cheese which has no casien, it's alright. I only eat it melted in fake sausage and english muffin sandwiches. I don't like it on anything else though. I make a fake cheese sauce out of Nutritional Yeast, it's pretty good. You can find some recipes online.

--------------------
IBS-C

#30491 - 12/07/03 09:28 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

I like Veggie slices of mozzarella... melted is best... honestly!

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

#30532 - 12/08/03 08:07 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I really prefer the RICE mozzerella cheese over the veggie. Its harder to find but much more convincing in my opinion! Try the Fantastik brand of soy "taco meat" and sloppy joe "meat". They are wonderful! I was VERY reluctant to try soy, I just thought YUCK! And when I opened the box and dumped this brown grainy looking stuff in my pan, I thought "you've got to be joking" but I LOVE it! It really is like ground beef, and SO easy to make!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#30777 - 12/09/03 11:33 AM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

I like rice mozzarella best. Am still looking for a good cheddar. I think it is very individual. But I have toffuti american slices that are great on boca burgers!! Good luck! maryh

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1512 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 954

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review