All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Peppermint Tea
      #3016 - 03/17/03 09:51 AM
SallyC

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: New Jersey

Last week I had an endoscopy where it was found that I have gastritis...inflammation & irritation of the lining of the stomach. The gastroenterologist put me on Prevacid. One of the 'no-nos' in the pamphlet cautioned against drinking Peppermint tea, among other things, due to the acidity in the tea. This is in direct conflict with what I read in Heather's IBS book. Whether it's from the Prevacid and/or my quit drinking peppermint tea, the stomach pain has reduced somewhat.

My quandry now is finding a tea that I can tolerate. I've read that chamomile & fennel teas help the stomach but I break out in hives when I drink it. Water is getting very boring.

Any insights will be appreciated.

Sally

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peppermint Tea new
      #3018 - 03/17/03 10:21 AM
Lorna

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I also have gastritis and I am on Pantoloc and Motilium to control the acid in the stomach. I can drink peppermint tea, but only a limited amount. My favourite is Chamomile Honey Lemon by Lipton. Hopefully this won't have you break out in hives. Give it a try - it's very creamy!

Good Luck!

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#3021 - 03/17/03 11:54 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

What about ginger tea. I like one that is ginger and lemon.

#3022 - 03/17/03 12:04 PM
SallyC

Unfortunately, I can't ginger tea & chamomile tea cause me to have hives. My body isn't very user friendly.

#3024 - 03/17/03 12:15 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Peppermint is wonderful for IBS, which affects the lower GI tract, because it's a smooth muscle relaxant and painkiller. But, it can cause reflux and heartburn problems in folks who are susceptible. Peppermint itself is not acidic - but because it's such an effective muscle relaxant, it can relax the valve at the top of the stomach so it does not close the way it should. Normally, this valve, called the lower esophageal sphincter, or LES, relaxes and opens when you swallow food and then promptly closes to keep acid out of the esophagus. If the LES is weak or opens at the wrong time, stomach acid can reflux into the esophagus and cause heartburn.

In general, if you have upper GI problems, choose another herbal tea. And also avoid peppermint in other forms - Altoids, mint candies, spearmint, etc.

Do you break out in hives from just plain fennel tea? Or only a mix of chamomile and fenne? Chamomile can be an allergen for people, especially if they have hay fever or similar problems. Plain fennel shouldn't do this unless you're also allergic to it.

What about anise? You can buy anise seeds and brew them like the fennel. Or Indian chai, which you can buy with just the spices and no black tea. Or, make your own by blending equal parts crushed cinnamon sticks, fennel or anise, whole cloves, and cardamon seeds.

You could also just choose a commercial herbal tea that sounds good to you - in general, most herbal teas will be very soothing and not carry any GI side effects at all. So something like peach or mango or raspberry would be fine. Or just plain green tea, maybe with a little honey? I'd check all the tea brands at your grocery or health food store and just start experimenting with the varieties that sound tasty.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#3027 - 03/17/03 12:29 PM
SallyC

Thank you, Heather. That's what the game is, isn't it, 'hit-or-miss'! I've not given up on tea yet. Thanks for your suggestions...and explanations.

Re: Peppermint Tea-im on prevacid new
      #3046 - 03/17/03 03:31 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

im on prevacid and i drink pepp. tea (shhh.) lol

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: Peppermint Tea & Angela's sense of humor! new
      #3073 - 03/17/03 07:42 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Angela - you sure have a great sense of humor!!!
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#3084 - 03/17/03 11:45 PM
Sweetwater

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: NJ, USA

What about Almond Tea? Thats my fave!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1700 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1942

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review