All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
unsure of diagnosis - symptom question
      #29665 - 12/02/03 07:23 AM
bellyblues

Reged: 12/02/03

Hello - I have been tentatively diagnosed with IBS because I have abdominal pain and very frequent diarrhea. I've had a sigmoidoscopy, a colonoscopy, and have been given meds to try to relieve pain and slow down the the diarrhea. I seem to have no physical evidence of problems or diseases. However, I've been having problems with bowel incontinence along with the pain and diarrhea and incontinence doesn't seem to be a symptom of ibs i don't think. Has anyone else had problems with occasional incontinence? Should I continue pursuing an answer or just accept the ibs diagnosis and the fact that i will have to live with times that i won't be able to control my bowels? I'm so mortified, stressed and frustrated with what's happening and that the doctor isn't giving me any answers! I would appreciate any advice or input from anyone who has or has had this experience! I've read alot on this site and it's great! I will try the diet and hope that it helps.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: unsure of diagnosis - symptom question new
      #29668 - 12/02/03 07:51 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hello and Welcome! So Sorry you have having to go through this. Heathers diet should make a huge difference for you, the sooner you get started the better! I am usually constipated, but do have some dirreah, its not uncommon for people with ibs to have "accidents." I would get started on some fiber supplements and the diet right away and you should start feeling better soon! Keep posting!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Yep - incontinence can happen... new
      #29708 - 12/02/03 11:37 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

usually as a result of an urgent diarrhea attack that strikes so fast and hard you just don't have time to make it to the bathroom. I've had the equivalent of this happen to me with pain, and I've just passed out cold onto the floor right in the middle of trying to walk (stagger?) to the bathroom. Sometimes your body's physical reactions just overwhelm everything else, and there's not a lot you can do to stop this. But, you can help prevent it...

The tests you've had are great for ruling out disorders that mimic IBS. And your symptoms do match the IBS criteria.

The diet should really help prevent the diarrhea and definitely the incontinence. Make sure you're taking a soluble fiber supplement too. That's probably the single best thing for normalizing bowel function. In fact, if you work up to 12-15 grams a day of a supplement, and you still have diarrhea, this is a red flag for something other than IBS. The supplements are really a Godsend for most folks. There's details on supplements overall here soluble fiber supplements and on Acacia, the supplement I like best, here Acacia

Don't worry - we'll have you feeling better soon!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: unsure of diagnosis - symptom question new
      #29908 - 12/03/03 02:19 PM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

I, too, have had trouble with incontinence on occasion. It's a horrible and embarrasing symptom. I really know how you feel. I've been using Primal Defense and the IBS audio program and fibre supplements as well as watching what I eat and haven't had a bout of incontinence now for about two months. I still have the occasional rush to the bathroom but at least I have more confidence that I will make it there. For our recent holiday my husband suggested Depends. Didn't need them, thank God, but just knowing I wouldn't be too embarrassed really helped. The best way to curb the D is to find out your triggers. My biggest ones seem to be lack of sleep (my kids are 2 and 4) and stress. Now that I've mostly controlled my stress I can deal with the days when I don't get enough sleep.

Yes, Heather, I am feeling better now. I've been on the Primal Defense for a month and feeling much better although not 100%. The audio program is great! Sorry I haven't been on the boards lately but I've been so busy with all my kids. I day care 5 kids plus my two now. I find I am able to sneak in beef once a week now with no problems. Other than that I am sticking to your diet. I'm going to try out your acacia as the only fibre supplement I can get here is Metamucil and I get really gassy and bloated from it. Thanks for having such great products available to the public.

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2155 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 714

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review