All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Peppermint Caps
      #29352 - 11/29/03 06:37 AM
sugar

Reged: 02/08/03
Loc: Calistoga, CA

I just received my Peppermint caps in the mail. I have Acid Reflux (GERD) and I forgot to ask if the
caps will bother that or not. Does anyone know? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
A Safe Place

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peppermint Caps new
      #29353 - 11/29/03 07:57 AM
Chris

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Kansas

I have GERD also and take the caps, I have never had a problem with them, pepperment tea is what kills me. Hope this helps.

#29357 - 11/29/03 08:42 AM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Hello,
I'm not sure if this happens to anyone else but once in a while when I take the peppermint caps (even the enteric coated ones) I will burp up some peppermint flavor. I don't get any pain or heartburn but I wonder if sometimes those pills to eventually disolve in your stomach if they are in there long enough. I'm trying to experiment if it happens when I take them before/after a meal or in between. I'm just not sure yet. I think you can do a search and read if anyone else with GERD has had any problems with the peppermint caps.

#29359 - 11/29/03 08:54 AM
jules05

Reged: 11/03/03
Loc: ON, Canada

I've taken the peppermint caps a few times now and everytime i take one about an hour later i get a pepperminty taste in my mouth. I thought that they were supposed to dissolve in the intestines and not the stomach so why would that happen?

#29375 - 11/29/03 01:31 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

That's been happening to me too -- I also have been getting some heatburn too... I bought two bottles at once and I am hesitant to use them now.

#29377 - 11/29/03 02:30 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - the peppermint caps should be okay for heartburn, since they're not dissolving in the stomach. I'm honestly not sure why they sometimes result in a minty taste, especially if you burp. I've had this happen to me, but it's never been associated with any reflux or heartburn.

If you're prone to reflux, make sure you're taking the caps on an empty stomach between meals. This will ensure they reach your intestines more quickly, where they'll dissolve. There have been recent posts on this from some folks who've played around with when they take the caps. On an empty stomach they're just fine, but if they take the caps right with a meal they can get heartburn. I've taken the caps with and without meals and haven't noticed any difference at all (neither has triggered any reflux) so this seems to be an area where there's some individual variation.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#29394 - 11/30/03 09:51 AM
sugar

After reading your answers to my question and reading
another thread on the same topic, I've decided I'm
afraid to take these. I don't need anything to make
the GERD worse and it's not worth the risk.

If anyone wants 2 unopened bottles of pepperment caps
let me know.

--------------------
A Safe Place

#29408 - 11/30/03 11:17 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I've been downing peppermint tea and caps now for months. All of a sudden they turned against me and it seems like they created the heartburn. If I lay off of anything peppermint except an Altoid now and then I'm ok. I've switched to Papaya tea. It's DELIGHTFUL! Ginger and fennel is also ok for GERD, unless I'm mistaken. I just don't care for the taste, especially fennel.

Have you tried taking a good digestive enzyme and probiotic with your meals? It helps. Also, very small meals and lots of them throughout the day helps the GERD.

If it makes you feel any better about having the caps and not using them, I have enough peppermint loose tea and tea bags to last years and likewise the caps. I'm NOT getting rid of any of it as you never know, GERD has a way of healing itself and one might again be able to use peppermint, in moderation, of course.
Kandee

--------------------

#29437 - 11/30/03 02:45 PM
kshsmom

Where did you find papaya tea? I have been taking the enzyme and that seems to help... I like the idea of sipping tea.

#29442 - 11/30/03 04:04 PM
Kandee

Go to: http://www.seelecttea.com/productinfo/84.html

to see it. Or start at www.seelecttea.com

Your health food store should be able to order it for you if they don't carry it in stock.
Kandee

--------------------

#29445 - 11/30/03 04:22 PM
kshsmom

Thank you.

#29638 - 12/01/03 07:18 PM
sugar

Thanks for the input everyone!
EYEBSER2 I will put the caps away
for a rainy day. You never know.
What does papaya tea taste like?
I just bought two papayas but will have
to wait until the get ripe as they are
very green. I can wait I love papaya.

--------------------
A Safe Place

#29645 - 12/01/03 08:10 PM
Kandee

Funny you should ask what papaya tea tastes like. I was just having some, and it had gotten cold so I had to think, now what does this taste like? For one, it tastes nothing like the papaya itself. To bad, ey? Keep in mind this is papaya LEAF tea, and not made from the fruit. I think it tastes a little like mild parsley tea. Now if you are totally against parsley you may not like the papaya tea. If you are looking for alternatives to peppermint tea start trying those that are recommended alternatives.........Have you tried fennel, chamomile or ginger? I personally don't mind them but fennel is the hardest for me to like. (To bad since it has such wonderful anti-bloat qualities.) I much prefer peppermint tea to all of them but for the time being I'll take the opportunity to try all the other herbal teas that are both IBS and GERD friendly. If you like cinnamon I think you can have it with GERD. At least it doesn't bother me and some of the cinnamon teas are great tasting.
Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5293 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2314

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review