All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Meats? white meat pork?
      #292785 - 12/07/06 07:50 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

White meat pork is so lean and dry. Is this safe with anyone? How is seafood, any seafood? shrimp, stuffed clams? We are talking homemade so I have control of the fats and other ingredients.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Meats? white meat pork? new
      #292792 - 12/07/06 08:17 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Under Heather's guidelines, all seafood is safe. White meat pork is not.

I do fine with seafood: white fish, salmon, swordfish, tuna, shrimp, mussels, etc. As for the stuffed clams, it depends on what you stuff them with.

I don't eat pork.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Meats? white meat pork? Would like Heathers advice on this one. new
      #292793 - 12/07/06 08:20 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

But is it not safe because of its fat content? If white meat pork has less fat then chicken breast, why wouldnt it be safe?

#292796 - 12/07/06 08:25 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Until Heather gets back to you with an answer, you might want to read this:

Quote:

Red meat (ground beef, hamburgers, hot dogs, steaks, roast beef, pastrami, salami, bologna, pepperoni, corned beef, ham, bacon, sausage, pork chops, and anything else that comes from cows, pigs, sheep, goats, deer, etc. )

[snip]

Meat, dairy products, and egg yolks are particularly dangerous for all aspects of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. In some people their high fat content causes violent, rapid colon spasms and triggers diarrhea. Alternately, for others their heavy animal proteins, complete lack of fiber, and very low water content can lead to drastically slowed colon contractions (or one prolonged colon spasm, which is extremely painful) and severe constipation.

If you think white meat pork is safe for you, then you should try it.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (12/07/06 08:26 AM)

#292797 - 12/07/06 08:26 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I have not been able to tolerate pork at all. Even low-fat pork.

As for the pork being lower in fat than chicken, this is not exactly true. Pork is lower in fat than the dark meat of chicken. The dark chicken meat is a trigger and needs to be avoided. It is only the white meat, chicken breast, which is safe. This is also lower in fat than pork.

If you really want to try pork, wait until you are stable and then try the leanest pork you can find. While some people do consider pork to be 'white' meat, it is still considered equivalent to red meat when it comes to IBS and triggers.

--------------------
Kat

#292804 - 12/07/06 08:54 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I just wanted to add that pork meat, even though it's "white," is considered a red meat because it comes from a mammal. Red meat usually refers to any meat from a mammal.

Edited by Maria!Maria! (12/07/06 09:13 AM)

Why meat is red new
      #292810 - 12/07/06 09:12 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The color of the meat depends on the type of muscle in the meat. Here is an excellent article written by a chef on the difference between red and white meat. Red meat has more fat than white meat.

I eat pork tenderloin and less frequently white pork meat. It does not give me any difficulties. Once your are stable you can try introducing it into your diet periodically and see what happens.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Why meat is red new
      #292813 - 12/07/06 09:26 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hi, Syl. Thanks for the link to that article! Very interesting. Yes, I think the confusion here is that we're not just talking about the color of the meat or what part of the animal it came from. In this case, we're talking about the type of animal - mammals. According to the USDA, "red meat" is mammal meat, which tends to be higher in myoglobin than poultry, and pork is considered red meat because of its high myoglobin content, which makes it red before cooking.

I also agree that once you're stable, you can try experimenting/trying new foods into your diet. But I really wouldn't recommend that IBSers try eating anything on the trigger list, at least not until you have been stable for a while.

Edited by Maria!Maria! (12/07/06 09:32 AM)

Re: Why meat is red new
      #292814 - 12/07/06 09:54 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Hi Maria, I agree that the color of the meat is the issue not why the meat is red. The difficulty as I see it is that the trigger list says red meat and dark poultry are triggers. Some people claim the reason is that it is a trigger is the difference in the proteins between red and white. There is no question that red meat tends to have more fat than white meat. However, I have yet to see any evidence to support the notion that different proteins in red meat can be triggers. On the other hand there is lots of evidence to suggest that fat in meat can be a trigger. Personally, I think that lean red or white mammal meat is a trigger like fructose that is an individual thing and the only way to determine if it is a trigger is to try it once stable. Again I agree that it is wise to eliminate things like red meat until stable.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

I would just second this... new
      #292822 - 12/07/06 11:41 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it's not just the fat, it's something inherent in red meat that makes it difficult to digest. Seafood and poultry are just easier on folks, and aside from the fat and different proteins I don't know what else is in play. But, there's definitely a big problem for most IBS folks with any kind of beef or pork. I'd be very cautious, and I wouldn't even think about a little splurge until you're totally stable.

Even then, be careful, and hope for the best but plan for the worst.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2465 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2067

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review