All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
HELP! Soy is a problem food too...
      #2923 - 03/16/03 06:06 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I can't take soy! My stomach reacts very poorly to soy (and to dairy and meats as well--fish is tolerable). Are there other substitues for dairy and meat I can try (I also keep Kosher--so shell fish is out). HELP!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HELP! Soy is a problem food too... new
      #2928 - 03/16/03 07:36 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Have you tried rice milk products? Can you tolerate chicken? Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are usually pretty safe. Although, I don't know if they're Kosher...sorry

Mags

#2929 - 03/16/03 07:39 AM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks so much for getting back to me! I will try rice milk products today and let you know how it goes! You can get Kosher chicken--that was a great help too! How do you prepare it--do you boil it/bake it? Any cooking suggestions? Thakns Mags2003!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#2930 - 03/16/03 07:58 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Just make sure the rice milk products are low fat. Almost forgot that part!

Check out the recipe exchange. There's lots of great chicken recipes over there. But, basically you can bake it, boil it, grill it, etc. - all but fry. Pan fry with a non stick pan & cooking spray is okay. If you have any recipes of your own that you have questions on, just post & someone will be able to help!

Good luck & have fun cooking! Let us know how you make out!

Mags

#2932 - 03/16/03 08:11 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Ruchie - Welcome to the boards! I can't remember anyone keeping Kosher since my Mom used to talk about her life at home with her Mom and Dad. Boy, you sure deserve a medal for being able to do it.

I'm Jewish also and so is Zaftig1 (you can tell by her name). Are you fromm the East Coast or out of USA?

The suggestions about rice milk and chicken are good. There is also Almond Milk. Chicken is such a versatile meat. There's a recipe on the Recipe Exchange for Lemon Chicken that I'm going to try today for supper. I'll post and let everyone know how it turned out.

Again, welcome and if you find any "safe" Jewish/Kosher foods, let me and Zaftig1 know for sure.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#2933 - 03/16/03 08:19 AM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks for the welcome! Does almond milk have fat? I will definately keep you posted on how things turn out for me. How are things going for you? Hope all's well--thanks again!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: HELP! Soy...Almond milk w/no fat? new
      #2935 - 03/16/03 08:27 AM
SharonMello

Ruchie - you have to check the cartons. If you're near a Trader Joe's they carry almost all of the dairy milk alternatives. I just checked my pantry and I don't have any almond milk.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#2942 - 03/16/03 09:08 AM
JJ

Reged: 02/16/03

I am allergic to all soy and dairy products, so I rely on rice substitutes. Be careful with the rice cheeses and ice creams because they have milk protein in them which can cause a reaction in some people. I can handle rice milk without a problem, but the almond milk has a soy product in it. There are no rice meat substitutes out there that I know of, but I stick with chicken as my meat and I have found that I don't miss the other meat dishes. Good luck!

#2947 - 03/16/03 10:11 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

You can eat chicken with your allergy? My friend is allergic to soy and can not eat chicken because they feed them with soy. She mostly eats lean pork.

#2948 - 03/16/03 10:17 AM
Snow for Sarala

I just went out and bought rice milk (they didn't have almond milk at the store) so I'm going to try it later today and I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks so much for all your help Sharon!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#2949 - 03/16/03 10:18 AM
Snow for Sarala

WOW! Thanks a lot for all this info.!!! I just went out and bought rice milk--I'll let you kno how it goes. Thakns a million for all the tips! This message board is GREAT!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Rice Milks new
      #2950 - 03/16/03 10:48 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Different brands of Rice Milk will also give you different tastes. Don't give up if the first one you try isn't to your liking. Personally I like Rice Dream, tried others but found them watery and gray. I usually have open one vanilla and one original at the same time. The vanilla I use for cereals, desserts, drinks, etc., the original I use for cooking or baking.

#2953 - 03/16/03 12:05 PM
Snow for Sarala

I don't know if I'm allergic to soy, per say--it gives me cramps and an upset stomach. I've never had any allergic reactions to chicken--but meat tends to make my stomach upset--though I haven't tried chicken without any spices yet, so I think I'll give it a try sometime soon. I'm sorry that your friend is allergic to soy/chicken--do they break out in hives? Thakns so much for responding!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#2975 - 03/16/03 03:19 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - There's so much great advice in the earlier replies to your question I don't have much left to say! I would eat oatmeal - it's a good source of protein, and you can make it with rice or almond milk.

Do check the recipe board for tons of chicken breast recipes.

And, for the soy, if you've never had it before and then suddenly tried eating a lot of it, you may just have to take this slowly and adjust. Soy has raffinose, a bean sugar, and your body may not be used to it. You may want to try just one glass of soy milk a day, and take it with Beano, which will help digest that sugar. Over a week or two you should adjust, and once you're used to digesting it soy should not be a problem. If you suspect you're allergic or something then don't do this - but if you're brand new to soy it's a good way to get used to. This is actually true for all beans.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#2977 - 03/16/03 03:23 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I have asked her before and have never gotten a straight answer. She did say if she eats soy her throat starts itching and I think she does start to itch all over. She can tolerate a little bit but she has learned when to stop eating it. I will have to ask her tomorrow when I see her. Luckily she doesn't have IBS.

#2997 - 03/16/03 06:01 PM
Andie

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Western NY

I didn't know this! I would love to be able to eat soy based things - maybe I just need to adjust slowly. I put a half a slice of soy mozzerella on a homemade pizza the other night and had a bit of cramping the next day. I will try your suggestions of Beano and easing into use of soy and hope I can develop a tolerance. Thanks Heather!

#3015 - 03/17/03 05:45 AM
Snow for Sarala

Heather,

Thank you SO MUCH!!! I thought I would have to totaly give up on soy--I will definately try your suggestions and try things slow with beano.

I feel a lot less alone with the message boards (I just joined this past week the day I began preparing for my colonoscopy) and I can't thank you enough for all your hard work and generosity! Without you so many of us would be suffering alone! It's tough when people don't understand what you're going through (even though some people try to understand, because they've never been there, all they can do is love you through it without any real understanding). My husband just knows I'm in pain--and it's tough when I can't finish the laundry because the cramps are so bad I can't get out of bed (and without my heating pad I'd be up all night!) I don't even make him dinner anymore (I'm at the early stages of figuring out what I can/can't eat--I'm just eating bread, oatmeal, potatoes, pasta, and trying soy/rice milk). It's frustrating! I am hopeful that I will someday live a normal life again where I will be able to get what I need to done without stopping to lie down--and that I'll be able to cook for my husband again. Even though I have C BMs my symptoms are still powerful. Thanks G-d I'm able to work and get most of the things I need to done--I'm VERY lucky there--but life is not what is was. Having the message boards as support brings me hope and encouragement--and I REALLY appreciate all your efforts. You're doing an AMAZING job! You always get back to us quickly--and your genuine concern shows through.

Thanks again Heather!!!!!!!!!

Take care

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: HELP! Soy...Almond milk - Have some info for Ruchie! new
      #3070 - 03/17/03 07:21 PM
SharonMello

Ruchie - while I was at the grocery store today, I checked the Almond Milk carton. They didn't have any FF but the regular is:

Blue Diamond Almond Milk
8 oz. = 60 calories
8 oz. = 2.5 grams fat

Maybe health food stores will have a better selection, but their prices are much higher. The ones I found were on sale for 2 for $3.00. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Re: HELP! Soy...Almond milk - Have some info for Ruchie! new
      #3074 - 03/17/03 07:44 PM
Snow for Sarala

Sharon,

Thank you SO MUCH!!! You are SO SWEET to think of me. I checked our regular grocery store the other day and they only had rice milk/soy milk. I bought the rice milk...it's hard to say how it's working out because my tummy's just a mess lately and it could be caused by a number of things (Hamantaschen being one of them!) (I just got back from Megillah reading!) Anyway, I'll definately keep you posted...and thanks again for thinking of me!!

Take care!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2220 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3330

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review