--------------------
Gretchen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can anyone feel it when... new
      #28893 - 11/25/03 08:44 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Yup - I know exactly when one is about to happen. I start to get a very uncomfortable feeling in my tummy, sort of like pressure is building up. I also start to pass a lot of gas.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#28899 - 11/25/03 08:59 AM
jules05

Reged: 11/03/03
Loc: ON, Canada

I can usually feel an attack coming on because i get pain, nausea and i get hot even if it's cold around me.

#28900 - 11/25/03 09:13 AM
tholley

Reged: 11/10/03

When you can feel an attack coming on is there anything that you can do to stop it?

#28923 - 11/25/03 10:17 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Ohh yes, I know when an attack is coming on. I get this strange rumbling in my intestines that tells me I'd better beware. I usually pop some pepto bismol right away. Sometimes I catch it in time the discomfort doesn't turn into anything bad, but most of the time it's too late by the time I get that feeling.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#28929 - 11/25/03 10:26 AM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

I get rumblings and abdominal pain when mine start too. I take a librax, brew some chamomile tea and get some soluble fiber in :some times it works or ususally not as bad. A bad one for me will be bad no matter what I do! Maryh

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

#28933 - 11/25/03 11:29 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Yup. The full feeling, sore back, grumbling tummy, hot flushed face, gas and just overall blah feeling. Sue

#28934 - 11/25/03 11:46 AM
Morven

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Scotland,UK

Always! I also get the abdominal pain,and sometimes nausea,can vary.I usually increase my water intake,and mint tea intake,which i drink gallons of every day anyway.Sometimes it works,sometimes it doesn't!

--------------------
Morven

I'm like you... new
      #28949 - 11/25/03 01:21 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

once it's coming there isn't much I can do to stop it. I usually only get about 30-60 seconds between the onset of rumblings and abdominal pain before the pain gets so bad I can't move, breathe, speak - anything. Once that happens I'm just stuck - literally - and hopefully I've made it to a bathroom in those 60 seconds, or I'll be blacking out wherever I happen to be.

If I can get some really strong, hot, peppermint tea into me right away, that will sometimes head things off or at least keep the pain less severe. It also seems to lessen the duration of an attack. If I can take a Roxilox (a prescription pain killer) that will kick in in about 40 minutes, and will help. But if the attack gets severe before then I'll just end up vomiting from the pain so the pill is not really an option.

Chewing Altoids can head things off too - that has saved my life a few times when I've been in the car and got suddenly hit. I think I've eaten about 12 of those things in a few minutes - but it worked.

I really wish the pharmaceutical research for IBS was in a direction of finding a drug to halt an attack quickly once it's started. Preventing things I find is a much better way to go, and I can do that pretty well with diet, soluble fiber, herbs, yoga, etc. I don't want a daily maintenance drug when I don't need a drug every day, and that's where all the research is. I want a drug that I can take only as needed, that will instantly stop the pain and stabilize my gut. I'd really love something that's an inhalant - I don't have the time or ability to swallow a pill and wait for it to take effect. Even the sublingual pills that dissolve under the tongue take too long. I don't have 15 minutes when I'm passing out from pain. The only other instant-drug I can think of would be an injection, and that's totally not practical. So, that's my IBS research fantasy, which I'm sure I will never, ever see come to market!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#28974 - 11/25/03 02:11 PM
paininthebumper

Reged: 11/06/03

Absolutely, I agree with everyone here regarding the gas, pain, cramping etc... Rather than hot, I get COLD I mean really cold and it lasts for the duration, sometimes days. I usually get warning of bad, long lasting attacks by the dizzy spells and strange numbness in my right arm/hand which are only present at those times. The dizzy spells may be worse than the attack?! They present real problems trying to live "normal" when you can't walk or see straight But the biggest precursor of all... the monthly... brings on a big one every single month, without fail. The only good thing with that is one can certainly plan for it. Diane

#29023 - 11/25/03 09:56 PM
kickyfast2

Reged: 09/16/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

I'm in the same boat as Heather on this one. Only a few seconds before the attack comes on, I get very flushed and hot, bad taste in the back of my throat, gurggling in the intestines and just about everything else!

No luck stopping them once they come on though..just kind of brace myself for a very bumpy ride.

-Anne

#29029 - 11/25/03 10:40 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

HI; Fortunately, I don't have as much trouble as some of you. Mostly my pain comes after I eat and it is the way the food sits after I eat. It is uncomfortble and I find releif when I stretch out in my favorite chair or in my bed. I am wondering if the acacia would help this at all. I can't try it until the new year, though.

#29038 - 11/26/03 04:34 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Like most of the others - I too can feel it coming on... it rumbles and I head for the meds... I used to take Pepto and Mylanta and down the tea too... hoping to ward off the attacks. Now I have the NuLev also. If that doesn't work then the cramping, nausea and D starts - and I get so hot -- even if it's cold. The worst part is that usually if it gets that bad -- the cramping lasts for up to 4 days afterwards. My tummy will just hurt - almost like it's been bruised or something.

I actually have a funny story about one time my adventures with my IBS -- before I knew what it was and why I had so much trouble. We went on vacation (can you just picture the problems already?) We went to Florida and my husband tried to squeeze in everything and overscheduled us -- so I am stressing bigtime and my asthma is also acting up because of the humidity. My tummy is going crazy and I am popping Pepto like nothing. Well I wake up in the morning and my tongue was totally black and I freaked out. That had never happened before and I didn't know why it was like that. I thought I had caught some strange disease! lol Then I thought I remembered something from the Pepto box and read it -- sure enough -- may cause "harmless" darkening of stool and tongue. lol Pretty silly, huh?

Re: I'm like you... new
      #29057 - 11/26/03 08:09 AM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

I'm with Heather on those times that my IBS is the tightly cramped intestinal pain. Not much except heat and Levsin and ibuprofen (a smooth muscles relaxer) have helped at that point. And then it's a several day process. I did take an ambulance ride once because my nurse neighbor thought it had to be my appendix. Didn't help.

What helps me with the other kind of attack--diarrhea--is to take some Immodium quick (two, then another in 30 min. to an hour, if it hasn't stopped), and start downing the tea that works best for your tummy (it's chamomile for me), and to put on one of those heat packs designed for women to use during their periods. I take Levsin if there is pain with the diarrhea. I try to lay down and relax, if I can. I also up my soluble fiber by pushing the Citrucel as soon as I take the Immodium so that I don't have the opposite problem in a few days.

Whenever I'm tempted to eat something that I love, but no longer can eat because I now know it triggers my IBS, I just remember the way I will feel if I eat it and it is usually enough to dissuade me from eating anything that I know will make me sick. The best way to deal with an attack is before the attack by being careful with what you eat. Try to deal with stress effectively, too. This part is harder for me.

Re: Is this normal IBS new
      #29095 - 11/26/03 09:51 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I rarely get D attacks, when I do I get the gurgling and hot flashes and RUN to the nearest bathroom.

What I usually get and woke up to at 2 am today, is a suffocating pressure, its like I can't get enough air, I actually start to hyperventilate. My tummy is only "medium" bloated but the gerneral all over pain is killing me, I can't even stand up straight! I have a tightness all over my belly and can't stand any pressure. Unfortunatley, I HAD to come to work today, although I was 10 minutes late because I was throwing up. I have on pants that are 2 sizes too big with a portable heating pad but even now I can't catch my breath. Once I get like this it usually takes WEEKS to feel better. I haven't eaten anything bad that I can think of, no unusal stress. I get like this every few months now matter what I do!!! I just feel like crawling in bed and dying and I have a 4 hour car ride tomorrow and 2 days at the inlaws! Anyone else ever get attacks like this?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7402 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2777

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review