All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Allergies to SFS
      #285299 - 10/05/06 08:33 AM
chergui53

Reged: 10/05/06

Hi. I'm new to the board as of today. I was diagnosed with IBS in 1982. Since that time, I've had 3 really bad attacks that last for months. Otherwise, I have sporadic and mild IBS problems. Currently, I am experiencing the worst attack since my diagnosis. I began adding SF to my diet. First choice was Benefiber. It worked great, but after about 10 days, I noticed I began to itch. I thought it might be the Benefiber's wheat. I changed to Fibersure. Things were going great for about 10 days again. This past Monday I woke up with swollen eyelids and red blotches over my neck and chest. Also noticed that when I drank my doses, I began to itch more and cough. So, I guess I'm allergic to the inulin in the Fibersure, too. Did read on the internet that inulin can cause anaphylactic reactions. So, now I'm looking for a virtually allergen free SFS.

Has anyone had any allergy problems with the Acacia?

Thank you for your responses.

Have a great day,
Elaine

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Allergies to SFS new
      #285343 - 10/05/06 01:09 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Welcome, Elaine--

Benefiber brand SFS is actually partially hydrolyzed guar gum... guar gum = acacia. Neither Benefiber nor Heather's acacia contain wheat.

http://www.benefiber.com/products/index.shtml?benefiberPowders

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Benefiber has changed new
      #285352 - 10/05/06 01:41 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The formulation of Benefiber in the US has changed to wheat dextrin -- see web page . In Canada is still hydrolyzed guar gum.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Benefiber has changed new
      #285359 - 10/05/06 03:23 PM
chergui53

Reged: 10/05/06

Thank you Syl. I remember now that I bought a small bottle of Benefiber first. The main ingredient was the guar gum. When I sent my hubby out for a bigger container, he came home with the wheat based Benefiber. I was quite disappointed as I did not have any problems with the guar gum, but the itching began with the new and "improved" wheat based Benefiber. Hopefully that means I will be able to use the acacia without any allergic reactions. I was praying all day for a sign, so maybe this is it...try the acacia. Thanks to all who responded. Elaine

#285360 - 10/05/06 03:44 PM
Syl

That is very interesting. Wheat dextrin is suppose to be gluten free so I would have expected that it would not affect people with wheat allergies. However, I was uncertain and I have been waiting for someone to post how it affected them. It looks like one has to be cautious with the new formulation. When the new version finds its way to Canada I will give it a try and see what it does for me. Good luck with acacia.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Got a science question for you Syl! new
      #285363 - 10/05/06 05:36 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I had someone tell me today that the wheat dextrin manufacturer is processing it with some rather nasty chemicals. I've no idea if that's true and haven't had a chance to look into the details of what exactly wheat dextrin is, and/or how it's extracted. Do you have any info on this?

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Wheat Dextrin new
      #285373 - 10/05/06 07:15 PM
Syl

A trademark name for wheat dextrin is Nutriose manufactured by Roquette. Nutriose is the name given to a range of SF made from wheat and corn starch. I am fairly certain that Novartis - the manufacture of Benefiber - is sourcing their wheat dextrin from Roquette. Nutriose is a soluble resistant dextrin that behaves like a resistant starch. It is composed of 70-85% SF and 5-10% digestible saccharides or carbohydrates.

I am not precisely sure how they manufacture Nutriose. There are a few publications on the Nutriose web site in the Science section (publications and posters) that give some clues. It appears they use a process of Dextrinization - the breaking down of starch molecules by heat or enzymes - followed by chromatographic fractionation. I don't think but I am not certain that nasty chemicals are not used in these processes. It might be worthwhile calling Roquette and asking them some questions.

--------------------

#285413 - 10/06/06 07:39 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Just an FYI: The Walgreen's generic version of Benefiber that I bought 2 weeks ago still has guar gum. So did the Top Care version I looked at in the grocery store last night.

Hopefully, they won't change over.

#285414 - 10/06/06 07:41 AM
Syl

It was probably old stock. I think you will find that over time it will be replaced with the new version. A good chance to stock-up on the old formulation

--------------------

Thank you! -nt- new
      #285428 - 10/06/06 10:26 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Has anyone tried the new formula of benefiber yet?=nt new
      #289734 - 11/11/06 12:35 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 170 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5459

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review