#284083 - 09/26/06 08:08 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Sand... new
      #284097 - 09/26/06 11:18 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Don't take this the wrong way, but I love you. Seriously, you rock.

I've been following this discussion, and kept putting off replying because I didn't have the patience to explain it without sounding condescending or snappish. You said what I would have said, a thousand times better, and probably a whole lot clearer, too. This is sticky-note-worthy, even. Thank you!

Charts online are unreliable. Food labels are unreliable. (And fergodsakes, anything that says a white potato is insoluble should be distrusted immediately!) Common sense and personal experiences should be your guide. If this doesn't work for you, try something else. The end. Bravo!

Amen! -nt- new
      #284098 - 09/26/06 11:20 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Sand...personal question for you new
      #284153 - 09/27/06 10:14 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Hi. If you'd rather stay private, I totally understand, but I noticed that you are from West Orange, NJ. Perhaps we know each other...I taught in the district for 11 years. Linda (rather not get too personal on the site...my email is line415@comcast.net) By the way...liked your post!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Thank you so much, Sand, and everyone else as well. new
      #284171 - 09/27/06 11:36 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I'm going to make your post a sticky at the top of the board so we don't have to deal with this again.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Info from the Fineli people on how to use their table! This makes sense! new
      #284266 - 09/28/06 08:36 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

For those of you out there who do want fiber info, I'm going to post a clarification on this here. It seems "fiber" is hidden under more names in the table on

http://www.fineli.fi/index.php?lang=en

than just total fiber and water insoluble.

Total fiber = cellulose, hemicellulose, lignin, plant gums and pectin (by the AOAC method). Of these plant gums and pectin are regarded as soluble fiber. BUT they also have values for "polysaccharides, non-cellulosic, water-soluble
post and that is ALSO soluble fiber.

I.e.

total amount of SF = (polysaccharides, non-cellulosic, water-soluble) + (total fiber - water-insoluble fiber)

This seems to make sense.

As a comment on Sand's post saying the peeled pear has more fiber than the unpeeled I can just say READ AGAIN! The difference is that for the unpeeled pear the fiber is given for 100 g of pear out of which only 88% is considered edible. Whereas the peeled pear has info for 100 g out of which 100% is edible. I.e. no seeds et.c. That's why peeled pear has more fiber per 100 g in the table than unpeeled pear.

Hope this clarifies things for all of you who want to use the table above.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Databases and Fibre new
      #284279 - 09/28/06 09:22 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Wow - what an interesting and important thread!

I would have joined in earlier but I have been attending an international conference and living on my basic safe diet. It is nice to be home and be able to have more variety. Now if I could only convince the airlines to include some IBS friendly items on the things they sell and serve

Generally speaking I agree with Sand. No matter what the databases says or what is on Heather's safe list if it doesn't work for you then don't eat it!

The are many problems with amount of fibre reported in the databases. The creators of these databases don't make the measurements. Generally speaking they report results collected from a variety of sources. In some instance the total amount of fibre and SF/IF have been determined using different methods. Making matters even worse sometimes the values reported are averages determined from values collected from different sources. Even more problematic is the fact that the databases don't report the variety of the potato, squash, walnut, etc for which the measurements were made. For example, the paper about commercial mushrooms that I talked about in web page tested a number of varieties of mushrooms using the same technique. The total amount of fibre per 100 grams ranged from 2.6 grams to 10.7 and the percentage of SF ranged from 4.4% to 8.8%. I reported a similar finding for quinoa

The total amount of fibre and the percentage of SF can be dramatically different from one variety to another. The values reported in databases are only guidelines

To the best of my knowledge there isn't a authorative source of information about the the amount fibre in foods.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Fineli database - errors and disceprancies new
      #284287 - 09/28/06 09:35 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There are some discrepancies and errors in the database too. For example Oatmeal roll in water
gives the total fibre as 3.7, the IF as 2.4 and the SF as 0.7 therefore 0.6 grams are unaccounted for. Also there are two entries for mango without skins. One entry gives the total fibre as 2.0 and the IF as 1.3 while the other reports it to be 2.0 and 7.1 grams respectively. Go figure Use with caution

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

I think you make two points here new
      #284291 - 09/28/06 09:37 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Hi Syl!

Nice to see you're back again! I agree with you, the values seem to be all over the place for some foods. But I think the Fineli website could give some guidelines though for people who want to use it. However I still have some questions about it that I have posted to the woman who provided me with more info about their table as some table posts seem a bit odd still. I hope to get it even more clarified.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1794 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17138

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review