All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Metamucil capsules
      #27969 - 11/19/03 09:20 PM
mercyboxfan

Reged: 11/12/03
Loc: South Carolina, USA

Has anyone tried the metamucil capsules? They seem like they would be much easier for me than big fiber pills and I cant drink the fiber mix. I am wondering if they work as well though?
Also, I wanted to say thank you for all your advice, it has been really helpful. You guys have been right on the mark when I needed you most. Thanks again.

Anne Marie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Metamucil capsules new
      #27976 - 11/19/03 09:38 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

I remember saying that the powder is best, and capsules and pills are a second (but still good) choice. Also, I think that many IBS sufferes have bad reactions to pysillium (metamucil) and also don't get the same results from it. I would reccomend sticking to citracel or benefiber or something similiar and popping a couple fibercons before a meal if necessar. ) Good Luck!

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

#28102 - 11/20/03 02:56 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Citrucel has caplets, so you may want to try them. I think there is another called Fiberchoice? Also, there's Equalactin.

#28106 - 11/20/03 03:58 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

Also, I think that many IBS sufferes have bad reactions to pysillium (metamucil) and also don't get the same results from it.

I used the metamucil waffers for sometime and then finally realized I was bothered by the pysillium. I then switched to the Citricil pills.... I started with just 2 in the morning then increased up to 2 in the morning, 2 before lunch, & 2 before dinner.... each time with a 16oz bottle of water.....it works wonders!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#28710 - 11/24/03 01:26 PM
AngieC

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: southern Illinois

I tried Metamucil capsules but didn't care for them. I now use Equalactin. I love the taste and only have to take two a day. They seem to work well for me. Heather, I remember you saying that even though the directions say not to take them on a daily basis, it was okay. I'm wondering if Acacia would be better?

Yep, daily is just fine. new
      #28713 - 11/24/03 01:48 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Do a board search for past posts on Equalactin, with no time limits, and you'll find the info on that. In a nutshell, many soluble fiber supplements are labeled according to the FDA guidelines for laxatives, even though they are NOT laxatives. So Equalactin is just fine to take every day, indefinitely. So is Acacia.

If Equalactin is working well for you, by all means stick with it. If you want to mix and match it with the Acacia, that can work well too. The Acacia is a lot cheaper, so you could use that at home and then keep the Equalactin on you to take when you're out of the house. The tablets are terrifically easy to take when you're out and about.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Yep, daily is just fine. new
      #28867 - 11/25/03 06:49 AM
AngieC

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: southern Illinois

Thanks, Heather. I'm still pretty Message Board-illiterate, but I'm learning. I appreciate all your information. Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Metamucil is a "no" for me! new
      #28872 - 11/25/03 07:33 AM
Laurel

Reged: 11/21/03
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

My doctor advised me to take metamucil a few weeks ago, and I took it in the capsule form (can't do powders!!). I had a really bad reaction to them; severe gas and bloating--so bad I couldn't leave the house!!

I've been taking Fibercon and it works much better. I think any of the fiber supplements might cause a little gas at first, just because your body is getting used to them.

Laurel

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 742 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1576

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review