All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Re: went to the doctor
      #27712 - 11/18/03 12:44 PM
Bourget

Reged: 07/16/03
Loc: Ontario, Canada

You know I get so mad at this kind of response!
My doctor has said that my colonoscopy tests from last December showed nothing. (this is my GI) and he said that some people with IBS-D do bleed because their stomach is so irritated.
So, I guess my next step is to confront my GP about this.
I am so irritated.
Its not like I think anything else is wrong, and of course I woudn't want anything else to be wrong.
But when I hear from other people and there commenst on me, I get a little concerned, especially when I am not so "educated" on my health. Whic is aweful.

Someone asked me what kind of stomach problems do I get?
Well, when I think about if, its probably normal IBS symptoms.
I get pains all over, sometimes my stomach is spasming so much I literally can't control my bowels. I've had them spasm so much that I've gone in my pants or the floor. It terrible. I usually get pretty sick when my bowels act up, very fatigue, nausea, vomitting. When I do have a lot of pain I can't lay on my left side.
It hurts to have sex...and immediately after sex, my bowels act up. My kids or anyone can't sit on my lower abdomen...
I bleed every so often...

And thats about sums it up.
I don't want to sound like a "cry baby" I apologize if I do, and I apologize if I make anyone annoyed with me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: went to the doctor new
      #27723 - 11/18/03 01:50 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Well, I'm sorry. Your symptoms do sound like IBS, and the colonscopy is a pretty great test to rule out other things that can mimic IBS.

But...did your doctor literally say that in IBS-D your stomach can bleed from the irritation? Because that is completely wrong. There is zero stomach irritation in IBS, and bleeding from any part of the GI tract is NOT a part of IBS symptoms. If he found stomach bleeding, then there is something wrong with your stomach. This doesn't mean you don't have IBS, but it does mean that you have something else wrong too.

If you have occasional rectal bleeding, that could indicate hemorrhoids (internal or external) which can be found with IBS. The colonoscopy should have ruled out colon bleeding from things like inflammatory bowel diseases.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#27756 - 11/18/03 04:02 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time getting some answers. Is it possible for you to try going to a different GI? Maybe one of our fellow Canadian IBSers can recommend someone for you?

#27773 - 11/18/03 06:55 PM
Bourget

Reged: 07/16/03
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I see my GP tomorrow, and I'm going to try a new GI, except the waiting list is at least 6 months.
See the thing is, I haven't had a colonoscopy done sicne last December, and noone is recommending me to have one. Maybe I should be more forceful and tell them I want one done...
When I was bleeding last week, I went to the clinic, and the doctor there said they didn't find a hemorroid, but they only did a "finger test" nothing else. And then he prescribed me anti-spamsatic meds because of the spasming.

Pretty confusing.
So I guess I'll see what the GP says tomorrow and take it from there.

Thanks for all your advice and help.

Jennifer

#27775 - 11/18/03 07:01 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Yah - I remember your experience from last week. I'm not sure if you need to have another colonoscopy done, but you do need some answers. I don't know what they can do to give you that - what other tests.

If they try to tell you the bleeding is from IBS though, just let them know that is an unacceptable answer, because bleeding is not an IBS symptom.

Good luck at your visit tomorrow, and let us know how you make out.

#27782 - 11/18/03 08:22 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

could you have stomach ulcers?

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

#27804 - 11/19/03 07:57 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Hi Jennifer; hope your appt. goes well with your GP. I would definitely insist on another scope done. Not necessarily a colonscopy but maybe a endoscope. The DR. inserts a small scope in your rectum to have a look to see where the bleeding is. I had one done right in my Dr. office and it was only a little uncomfortable but no pain. This is when he suspected Ulcerative Colitis. I too thought I had hemmoroids. none. Just ulcers that would not stop bleeding. That was about 5 yrs ago. Still bleeding as of today. Please get this checked, asap. I don't take anything anymore for the spasms (tried dicetel for spasms)just use pentasa enema, and dipentum capsules. Let me know how it goes. Take care Sue

#27881 - 11/19/03 10:52 AM
Jessica

Reged: 11/18/03

oh my goosh, you poor thing... you are in my prayers.... it makes me feel almost gratful that I have the kind of IBS that I do... my syptoms are not nearly so sever. I don't know what to say.... just hang in there and try and put yourself first. I HOPE HOPE HOPE things get better for you!!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9321 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 969

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review