All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
butter? (And I'm new, btw :))
      #27700 - 11/18/03 11:01 AM
Jessica

Reged: 11/18/03

I know that we should try and stay away from margerine, but is real butter okay?

Also, I am 18 years old and trying to cope with IBS while living with my bf of three years. Its very very very hard trying to go to college and work and take care of my apartment while dealing with this. ANy tips or help would be great, I am soo happy I found this place!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: butter? (And I'm new, btw :)) new
      #27701 - 11/18/03 11:07 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hi Jessica,

I know how you feel, but soon it will be second nature to just eat like this.

No butter is not good for you...any dairy will be a trigger actually.

Have you done research on Heather's website yet? That will help you out alot. There is list of things you can and cannot eat.

Also - I would look into getting Heather's book The Eating for IBS Cookbook one...it is wonderful while you are adjusting. That is the first book I bought and I am happy I did. It is well worth the money and saved me so much stress.

I found it easier to cook recipes out of her book (or off the recipe exchange) rather than trying to convert my old favorites.

Also - do a search for Quick Easy Meal Suggestions with no time limits and you should find some ideas to help you there.

Welcome to the boards. Hope this helps!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Welcome! new
      #27718 - 11/18/03 01:34 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi, and glad to have you on board. Butter and margarine, like all fats, are GI stimulants and can trigger IBS problems. Butter is even worse because it's dairy, and thus has casein and whey as well.

Start reading through the diet section here web page and you'll learn all about how fats affect IBS, what trigger foods are, and the differences between soluble and insoluble fiber. These are the key dietary guidelines for keeping your symptoms in check.

Ask any questions!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#27740 - 11/18/03 03:35 PM
NatHosp

Reged: 11/04/03

Hi Jessica! I'm 21 and have been married for three years and was diagnosed with IBS in January of this year. It has been a long adjustment period for me and just like Lana Marie said, soon eating for IBS will become second nature. For me personally, I hardly even remember that fast food is an option for people to eat. It's strange to think that people actually do that or to see people drink a 20 oz from a pop machine. I always think it's strange they don't choose the water instead. It is a hard and long process dealing with IBS, but you'll get through it.
Please remember that through everything that you are dealing with that you MUST watch your stress level. It like food can be a HUGE trigger. I also am in school and when I feel like it's getting to be too much I take a vacation day and stay in all day or I just be certain to put myself first for a few days until I feel strong enough to take on the world again.
I also wanted to give you a heads up about winter b/c for me it seems that is the worst time for me with the temperature changes and things like that. When you feel like you are in a place that is really stuffy step outside or do something like that. Watch the heat in your car. Too much can be awful. I find that mixing medium heat with a cracked window is really helpful.
I just want you to know that I'll say a prayer for you. Also, if you don't have Heather's cookbook, get it and try some things from it. She also has wonderful tips in the beginning. Without that book I would have had to figure out so many things on my own and gone through many days of feeling lowsy.
Best of luck,
Natalie

--------------------
Natalie

#27766 - 11/18/03 06:10 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

heya! I'm 15 so I know what it's like to deal with school and IBS both! My name's Jessica, too lol. A tip for when people ask you why you cant eat any junk food, just tell them that you have "a stomach thing and it makes me sick if I eat it." That usually shuts them up!

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

#27767 - 11/18/03 06:30 PM
StrmGirl97

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: South Dakota

Hi,

I am currently in grad school and have been dealing with the symptoms of IBS since before undergrad. I agree, it is very difficult to deal with this while managing home, homework, and social obligations. The main advice I can offer is to set up a study schedule for yourself (but don't beat yourself up if you don't follow it since that can make you stressed and defeat the purpose). I had a mentor once that told me to consider school as a job - do homework/classes from like 8-5, then take off the evenings as often as you can... additionally, I ignore my homework at least one day of the weekend and do one thing I truly love, it's my way of pampering myself. Stepping away from it all even just for a few hours can help a lot.

I admit I didn't use this advice until I entered grad school, but I can now testify to its advantages. It allows me a time to de-stress and focus on the good things in my life, rather than worrying about that test next Monday. Setting up an exercise routine can help a lot too. I use it to work off the frustration of that one professor that just irritates me.

You're lucky to have your loved one with you... mine's in a different state, and we've dealt with long distance for the last 6 years... definitely hasn't helped my stress level!

StrmGirl

#27769 - 11/18/03 06:38 PM
Jessica

Reged: 11/18/03

I had a rough day and those posts made me feel so much better

THX

#27783 - 11/18/03 08:26 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

I am in college, too. I have found that doing my own grocery shopping and not eating out much (except for sandwiches and sushi and more simple foods) is best. My boyfriend even eat's soycheese pizza w/ me and a lot of the same foods i eat -- his support has really helped.

also, i don't touch butter because it is high in fat and has dairy. it is a big trigger!!!

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 468 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 853

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review