All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
cooking oil
      #2729 - 03/13/03 12:00 PM
ladysys

Reged: 02/26/03

Can I use virgin olive oil when cooking for IBS. I've noticed that you use canola.
Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: cooking oil new
      #2736 - 03/13/03 12:15 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Yes - olive oil is really healthy. I use it for savory recipes, and canola oil for sweet (or Asian). Use them interchangeably in any baking recipe (but realize that you'll be able to taste the olive oil, and that's not always a good thing, as in a chocolate cake). For wok cooking or pan frying, olive oil has a much lower smoking point than canola so be aware of that. Avocado oil is good too - very heart healthy, high smoking point, pretty mellow and flavorless, but hard to find.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#9900 - 05/25/03 11:07 AM
shaun g

Reged: 05/25/03
Loc: ontario, canada

ok, I'm confused on the whole oil thing..

In your book you state: IBS does not distinguish between extra virgin olive oil and lard. Although mono-fats (used inolive,canola oil) offer numerous health benifits, sat fats pose health risks. ALL fats are IBS triggers, plain and simple.

But then in your recipes and the one above, olive oil and canola oil are used a lot.. granted most at 1 tablespoon..

so I'm confused .. how can it be bad and good at the same time? or is it simply that a small amount in a sauce to coat - say pasta reduces the effects.

--------------------
trying to equal the IBS ratio- one man at a time

#9908 - 05/25/03 02:00 PM
Kris

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: Vancouver Island, BC

Hi
I had to respond cuz i love your quote at the end of your letter, very funny.
I think that Heather means that we should avoid eating too much fat/oils, but we can use it in moderation. I have found that stirfrying with water and tamari soy sauce helps me avoid the oils in that case, and then I add a flax oil blend (omega 3 fatty acids etc) to my food before I eat it, as the fatty acid is a healthy oil for the ibs gut problems (see Heather's book for info, or other postings), therefore increasing my intake of good fats, though of course i do this in moderation to avoid attacks.

When i bake i use at most 1/4 cup oil, and replace the rest with egg whites and/or applesauce. When I roast veggies in the oven, I use water/tamari/ginger/herbs/sometimes lemon juice, and once in awhile, just a tiny bit of oil.

I hope this helps
Kris

--------------------
Be the change you want to see in the world.

#9917 - 05/25/03 05:24 PM
Teg

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi
I think that that quote means that too much fat is bad regardless of whether it is a good fat or a bad fat, but you usually can tolerate some heart healthy fats if you incorporate them properly.
Treat them like insoluble fiber. Insoluble fiber, like fats is a trigger but it is also essential for overall good health. If you use them in small amounts and always with a soluble fiber base you should be able to tolerate them quite well.
Hope this helps.
T

#9920 - 05/25/03 07:05 PM
Lisa from LA

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Currently: Raleigh, NC Formerly: Lafayette, LA

Instead of using Tamari in my stir frys I use Braggs Liqued Aminos (purchased from health food stores). It tastes just like Tamari but has virtually no sodium. Since most of us with IBS suffer from bloating I try to minimize my salt intake to cut down on bloating. It's really cheap, contains good protein...give it a try!!!

Lisa

#9930 - 05/25/03 08:35 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

If you like the health benefits of olive oil over all others, you can use extra-virgin for stir-frying (I've read about that low smoke point, but haven't yet encountered a problem with it) and for salad dressings, and you can use "light" or "pure" olive oil--one of the light-colored, filtered ones--for baking, so your baked goods won't taste like olive oil. I don't buy any other oils (just non-hydrogenated margarine--I like Earth Balance--for spreading), but am considering ordering some organic coconut oil--folks on the wholefoods list at Yahoo have recommended it over and over again. Anyway. There's my 2+ cents!

Re: cooking oil - Grape Seed Oil new
      #9952 - 05/26/03 06:40 AM
Lisa from LA

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Currently: Raleigh, NC Formerly: Lafayette, LA

Grape seed oil is wonderful. It has a high heat content and can be used to fry. According to many Naturopaths it is actually better than olive oil as it tends to lower cholesterol levels.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7090 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2233

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review