All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
1st Attack After 9 Months on Acacia
      #272825 - 07/06/06 04:22 PM
miltonbradley

Reged: 07/06/06

I have been on Heather's wonderful acacia for about 9 months. I am up to 3 tablespons a day and have been for about 6 months. While my initial attack was terrible and I lost 10 pounds and suffered severe bloating and D followed by C after a few months I was able to eat almost anything without an attack. And I mean popcorn, icecream, an occasional glass of wine or cup of cafeinated tea and even chocloate. Then on July 2nd I had two cups of beer at a party and felt fine. The next day there was another party and I had cup of beer. I also had smores and smoked kilebasa and all the usual junky foods. I didn't feel so great that night and had D a few times but was fine the next day. I figured it was some bad food as my family didn't great either. A few days later, having felt fine the previous days, I had an icecream sundae, the same one I've had for years and wham! I almost instantly felt terrible, was gurgling and feeling naseous and I had terrible diarhea most of the night. The next morning I felt fine and had my acacia and some apple sauce. By lunch time I started feeling bloated after a bowl of hot instant oatmeal and some pretzels and realized that I must be in the midst of an attack. I am guessing the beer got me started. So my question is this. Do I stick with the same acacia dose or cut back and work back up gradually. Right now anything I put in my stomach bloats me. I plan on going back to the what you can eat when you can't eat anything diet until the bloat is gone but I'm not sure about the acacia component. Also wouldn't you know, my health food store ran out of acacia and I am almosy out. What is the closest supplement to acacia that you can buy in the stores? I order some online but it won't get here in time I fear.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 1st Attack After 9 Months on Acacia new
      #272828 - 07/06/06 04:31 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I'm not sure where you live, but check here to see if someone else near you has it. http://www.helpforibs.com/shop/stores.asp

Or you can call in your order and ask how soon it can ship.... To order toll free by phone in the USA call 1-866-640-4942

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

I'd go back to breaking the cycle for a few days... new
      #272829 - 07/06/06 04:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it sounds like it was just the accumulation of all those trigger foods that did you in. Give your gut a break for several days, keep your Acacia dose where it's been since you're very used to it, and drink plenty of strong hot peppermint or fennel tea.

Once you've calmed your gut down, you should be able to expand your diet again. But not so much as last time!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#272879 - 07/07/06 08:18 AM
miltonbradley

Thanks so much for the replies. My health food store just told me they ordered Acacia a week and a half ago and it still hasn't come in! They left a message with customer service and have not heard back. Unfortunately the owner is on vacation and may have a bag "hidden" somewhere for me as she always makes sure there is a bag in stock. Other than that, nobody else nearby stocks it. This is a very rural area. I hope I don't run out but it doesn't look good at all. The bag I ordered probably won't get here so I guess I will try benefiber unless anyone has a beter one for me to try. I had thought about Fibersure but the inulin scares me since I am prone to bloating. And now with this latest attack the last thing I need to do is change fiber supplement!

#272881 - 07/07/06 08:28 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You can order tha Acacia here online.

#272901 - 07/07/06 10:23 AM
miltonbradley

I think I am all set, I spoke to Heather and I will probably get my acaia in time. In the mean time I am going to keep an emergency supply just in case for the future. I don't think I can depend on my health food store anymore so I will make sure I always have a backup supply.

Your store ordered on the 29th and the order shipped out on the 30th... new
      #272902 - 07/07/06 10:26 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

sorry I told you earlier it shipped July 3rd - I was looking at the wrong field.

Orders to stores ship via FedEx Ground, which takes 5 business days if it's going to the East Coast. So, their order should arrive in Monday the 10th.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2239 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1726

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review