Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ACACIA QUESTION FOR HEATHER
      #271512 - 06/29/06 05:31 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Heather,

I'm not new to IBS or this website. I started acacia a few months ago. One question, I've read multiple posts, etc. that have different opinions on how much fiber is in 1 tsp./1 Tbsp. of acaia. Some say 1 Tbsp. = 7.5g, some say 1 tsp. = 2 g, some say 1 tsp. = 2.5g. As far as I know 3 tsp. = 1 Tbsp. So, it's either 1 tsp. = 2g and 1Tbsp. = 6g or 1 tsp. = 2.5g and 1 Tbsp. = 7.5g. Could you clarify? Just want to be sure I know how much fiber I'm getting.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Not Heather, but new
      #271525 - 06/29/06 06:55 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

1 teaspoon of Acacia has 2.5 grams of SF so 1 Tablespoon has 7.5 grams of SF. There was a discussion on the Boards a while back about the fact that different parts of the Website had different amounts and I think it pretty much all got standardized, but perhaps something got missed or you ran across some posts that pre-date the great standardization.

Here's the official Sticky Post on Acacia dosages and it agrees with what is printed on the back of my Acacia bag.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Still need clarification from Heather new
      #271533 - 06/29/06 07:17 AM
Mary_V

Ok. Just wanted to clarify since just the other day (6/28) Heather posted about it when comparing it to Benefiber and said 6g per Tbsp. And the can actually says 2g per tsp. But I had read that sticky post about 7.5g per Tbsp. Heather, could you verify??

Quote:

and it's less concentrated (4 grams of fiber per tablespoon vs. 6 grams of fiber per tablespoon for Acacia).

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#271564 - 06/29/06 09:10 AM
bjeans

Reged: 06/22/06

I was told it is 2 grams per level teaspoon (a real measuring spoon), like it says on the can. Justine at the 866 number said the 7.5 is old info. (I had called to order something and asked the same question.) She said she'd alert Heather in case old info is still on the site.

Hope this helps!

Beth

#271579 - 06/29/06 09:56 AM
Mary_V

Thanks! I guess I'm not getting quite as much fiber as I had thought...I was going by 2.5g/tsp. But after seeing Heather's post I wanted to clarify. Time to increase fiber again

--------------------
~Mary

UPDATE NEEDED...HEATHER new
      #271581 - 06/29/06 09:59 AM
Mary_V

Heather,

Should the sticky post be updated? That's where I looked first to find out how much fiber was in a Tbsp. of acacia.

--------------------
~Mary

Yes, this is right... new
      #271582 - 06/29/06 10:01 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it is 2 grams per teaspoon, 6 grams per tablespoon. I hadn't realized the sticky post still had outdated info, so I've updated that. Sorry for the confusion.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

I'm sorry I steered you wrong, Mary. Thanks for sorting this out. -nt- new
      #271605 - 06/29/06 11:27 AM
Sand

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I don't want to beat this to death, but I'm confused
      #271666 - 06/29/06 02:26 PM
Sand

My Acacia bag says 2.5 grams of SF per teaspoon, 7.5 per Tablespoon, and that's also what was discussed a year ago web page. Do the new numbers mean the formulation has changed?

--------------------

Re: I don't want to beat this to death, but I'm confused
      #271669 - 06/29/06 02:38 PM
bjeans

Reged: 06/22/06

I don't want to speak for Heather, but as Justine explained it, there was some difference or discrepancy in how the fiber was measured. I saw a similar discrepancy in the Benefiber jar a while back. They measured using a rounded spoon, apparently, rather than a level spoon - something like that.

But to be accurate, you want a level measuring teaspoon, and I *think* that's what they went to on the accacia. The newer packaging does say 6 grams, not 7.5.

I'm like you, want accuracy in the details!

Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3514 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1608

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review