All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Citrucel recall
      #268198 - 06/07/06 06:20 PM
Paula

Reged: 02/15/03
Loc: Massachusetts

I just learned that Glaxo Smith Kline has recalled their regular and sugar free Citrucel fiber supplement. The Glaxo Smith Kline web site indicates that it will not be available again until September and states this voluntary recall was a result of their "stringent internal quality standards". Another site (Dierbergs.com) lists the reason as potential metal contamination and includes the UPC codes of affected packages. I wanted to pass this information on.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

This is good info -- but it doesn't effect all the products. new
      #268210 - 06/07/06 07:18 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Caplets are still good to go -- as are the FiberShake and FiberSmoothie. Being a caplet user myself -- I was happy to hear that.

Re: Citrucel recall...Anyone else going to have problems with this?? or has anyone tried other types of Cit? new
      #268249 - 06/08/06 05:53 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

This sucks!!!!!! I use Citrucel orange powder. It's what keeps me going...literally :P I only have enough left for another day or two. I've been waiting for my grocery store to restock for a while now. I guess I know why they didn't. I hope I can find a similar substitute that doesn't take long to adjust to. I just don't understand why it will take so long to get it out again...September?? Something major must have happened. I hope it comes back soon, and I hope this doesn't ruin my summer Anybody else effected by this?? Does anyone use the Citrucel clear? Is it similar...just without the flavor?? I think that one is still available. Or has anyone tried the fiber smoothie?

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

Re: Citrucel recall...Anyone else going to have problems with this?? or has anyone tried other types of Cit? new
      #268252 - 06/08/06 06:27 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

At CVS and some grocery stores I've seen generic fiber that says "compare to citrucel," and they make the box look similar, etc. Grab one of those and see if the ingredients are the same as Citrucel. If not, then I guess it's probably time to make the switch. I started on Citrucel but changed to Acacia because I couldn't stand the thickness of Citrucel. I didn't have any problems switching. I've also used benefiber from time to time without a problem.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#268266 - 06/08/06 07:41 AM
Mary_V

I was hoping to find a generic form of Citrucel. Glad to hear there is at least one out there. I will give that a try. Thanks. I also use acacia. I use both. The cit. helps things get moving. The acacia gives me the amount of fiber I need daily.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

Re: Citrucel recall new
      #268436 - 06/08/06 11:52 PM
JennB

Reged: 02/19/05

ACK! I'm freaking out about this! I just got home from my honeymoon and went to four stores looking for my Citrucel because I only have enough left for one more day and all of the shelves were empty! I've taken a dose of Citrucel every day for so many years and I'm stable and I don't want to mess up my routine (please picture me stamping my feet and throwing a baby fit 'cause that's pretty much what happened when I got home and read their website!). I'm like an addict - I don't care about the metal contaminates - I want it, I want it, I want it. I know I'm being irrationale, but it's really hard to just stop doing something that you've done every single day for so long that has made you better. I know that there are plenty of other alternatives, but they're just not the same. Know what I mean? Okay, so in all seriousness, does anyone have any unopened, uncontaminated Citrucel that they want to sell me? I'll pay top dollar. Really. I figure I can black market it until September, right? My new husband thinks that's crazy and I should just switch to the acacia completely or something, but like I said, I'm fiending and I'm hopeful. Very hopeful!

JennB new
      #268445 - 06/09/06 04:17 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Ok, you're cracking me up over here!

I know it's not *exactly* what you want, but I do have a container of the Citrucel powder, and a bottle of the caplets, and I'll send them to you for the cost of shipping, nothing more. The catch is that both of them have been opened. Not even 1 full dose is missing from the powder; I just couldn't hack the stuff - and the only thing that ever went into it was a clean, dry measuring spoon. I'm not sure how many are missing from the bottle of caplets, but I do know it's not many - maybe 5 or 6. They were too big for me to swallow.

If you want them, email me - ibsboard@Gmail.com - and give me your zip code so I can tell you how much shipping will be. I wish I didn't even have to charge you THAT, but I'm so incredibly broke right now, even $5 makes a huge difference in my weekly budget.

#268623 - 06/10/06 09:31 AM
Paula

I can completely relate to those of you who rely on the Citrucel orange products. My husband also calls me a Citrucel addict, but hey - it works! I do not like the Citrucel tablets - they just do not have the same effect. I tried the Benefiber which was o.k. My husband picked up the Citrucel Smoothy for me but I only used it one day because my mom had some of the regular Citrucel. I am planning to switch between the regular orange and the smoothy(because I need to ration it.) Obviously there are other products (even other Citrucel products) but I understand that no one wants to switch when they have found something that is working for them.

#268624 - 06/10/06 09:36 AM
Mary_V

Is the smoothy any good? Does it have the same effect as the powder?

--------------------
~Mary

Re: JennB new
      #268665 - 06/10/06 02:52 PM
JennB

Reged: 02/19/05

Thank you SO MUCH! DH ordered me some on eBay, so I'm gonna wait until those get here. I scrounged around and found the remains of an old cannister under my bathroom sink that I'd taken on vacation with us last summer. It expires 6/06. How's that for timing? Please don't throw yours away, though, 'cause I still might need it and, who know, it might just appreciate in value!

#268683 - 06/10/06 04:02 PM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

OH NO! I don't have the time right now to look at this, but I will as soon as I can, and in the meantime, I will stop taking the Citrucel I have until I learn more. I have the kind that is the clear mix. Thank you so much for the info.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

#268852 - 06/11/06 04:16 PM
Paula

According to the website, your clear mix is fine. It was only the regular and sugar free orange that was pulled.

#268855 - 06/11/06 04:21 PM
Paula

The smoothies have the same type and amount of fiber as the regular Citrucel. It's tasteless and sort of makes the juice slightly thicker. I've used it for a few days now and it seems to be working just fine.

#269072 - 06/12/06 11:24 PM
Sommer

Oh thank goodness Paula thank you for the reassurance. I was reading frantically trying to figure out if I needed to toss this big can of citrucel or not. As paula mentioned "Citrucel Clear Mix" (Add to your fave drink) - can says "no excess gas, doc recommended, daily source of 100% soluable fiber and Gluten free." I had never tried this before until about 1 month ago but kept forgetting to take it, not used to taking fiber and all... I think it tastes best in juice imho, kinda weird in water. But I feel safer now and not so frantic about searching the website. Thanks again! Since right now this is the best I can do, I will really have to make an effort to take this more often until I can afford Heather's products and recipes. Meanwhile, I'm still glad for Zelnorm, I have few side effects for and good results more often than not. Good luck to the rest of you.

--------------------

#269713 - 06/15/06 05:08 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I just read this post, are the caplets okay?

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#273843 - 07/13/06 09:12 AM
joecool

Reged: 12/31/05
Loc: Minnesota

I don't know about the smoothies but the chocolate shake variety has milk. Couldn't find out on the web if the smoothies have milk products or not.

Citrucel recall page new
      #276161 - 07/28/06 05:39 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Just to keep track of this so it doesn't get buried in the boards, there's a Citrucel recall page in the soluble fiber supplement section here http://www.helpforibs.com/supplements/citrucel_recall.asp

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Yeah it is a bummer, but I will personally vouch for Citrucel Clear Mix new
      #277018 - 08/03/06 04:46 PM
Sommer

The Citrucel Clear Mix blends well into smoothies, orange juice, cranberry juice, water... just about anything as long as it's not carbonated (which doesn't matter, right, we aren't supposed to be drinking anything carbonated, it can upset the gut). If the liquid is cold, it will take a few moments for the citrucel clear mix to dissolve. In water there is the teeeeeniest tiniest bit of a hint of an aftertaste, but it's easy for me to ignore. I use it as often as I remember and because of this and because this is the first time I've ever tried it, I think my body is still getting used to it. Sometimes I get little bouts of urgencies to run for the bathroom, but the BM is small, soft, and comfortable to pass... which is nice when you suffer from C like I do, but it's really annoying if you're not near an available bathroom. :P I guess the only thing I can suggest is try it and see. I was hoping to god that the money I spent on Beano and generic Gas-X was worth it, and so far both were very much worth it. I think the pros for Citrucel Clear Mix outweigh the cons at least 2:1 imho and in my experiences. And of course, don't forget, your body may react differently to it than mine, who knows? There are so many variables that go into the possibility of "Will this work for me?" that it's impossible to know for sure, but I give it 2 thumbs up. Good luck.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 737 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8260

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review