Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather - any age statistics?
      #2647 - 03/12/03 11:24 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Heather,
I read in an article on IBS the other day that most people find it really improves or sometimes even goes away in late 40's to early 50's.

Is there any truth in this? Could it be menopause related?

It's so hard to know whether to believe anything you read!

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather - any age statistics? new
      #2728 - 03/13/03 12:00 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I'll check for some studies on this - I haven't seen any. Have seen articles that mention IBS tends to improve with age, but I've also seen other articles that say it tends to worsen. These statements are never referenced with studies, though, so I don't know which (if either) is true. From people who've written to me it can seem to go both ways - or just stay the same.

I really wish there was a lot more research into aspects like this. If I find something I'll post it.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Heather - any age statistics? new
      #2730 - 03/13/03 12:06 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Well, I have just been diagnosed at 51, so that shoots that theory all to heck!

Age at diagnosis new
      #2735 - 03/13/03 12:11 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Karin - You're a bit of an anomaly, actually (unless you've had IBS for decades and just got a diagnosis). They do have some stats on average age of diagnosis, and it's late teens to early twenties. However, the average length of time it takes to get a diagnosis is three years. So that would logically push the age of onset back. And, lots of folks wait longer than three years to get an answer. But, it does seem like most (definitely not all) people start having problems as teens or in their very early twenties. There are exceptions galore - plenty of people develop IBS as children, and others don't have problems till they're past forty.

In general, if you're over 35 or so and suddenly develop IBS symptoms, it's crucial that you have a pretty thorough run of tests. You need to rule out colon cancer, ovarian cancer, inflammatory bowel diseases, diverticulitis, celiac, and some other problems too. This will probably require a colonoscopy - if I was 51 and just had an onset of symptoms, I'd insist on this test instead of just going with bloodwork.

Best,
Heater

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Age at diagnosis new
      #2762 - 03/13/03 03:53 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Heather: Yes, I've been through all the testing already, that's the diagnosis after all the testing. Although, you are right, it was probably a long time that I did have it, I just kept denying there was a problem until recently. I think most of us denied our problem thinking it had to be something bad we ate, not our bodies giving in to IBS. I think mine was a slow process, not an immediate one as some seem to experience. IBS is so different per person, triggers, starting age, symptoms, I believe that's why it's so hard to diagnose. Thank goodness you have chosen to dive into this and come up with some solutions for us all. Thank you!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7526 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 747

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review