All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Success story
      #264055 - 05/18/06 02:12 AM
probably

Reged: 05/18/06

hello, this is my first post. i've been coming here for the past 3 months, and without this site, i would probably still be in horrible pain. i started getting bad stomach aches last summer. the pain was something i never felt before. it always happened in the morning. i'm in my last year of college (i graduate in 2 weeks), so my classes were essential. but i had to miss so much because of these pains. well, long story short, after everything proved to be no help, including my doctor, my mom emailed me this site. it SAVED ME! my diet has done a huge 180, and in return so has my health. sure, i get a stomach ache every now and then, but they are less painful then before. i've been ibs-c, and i'm still c, but i am managing and it's not that big of a deal. i lost 20 pounds since changing my diet, but it's balanced out because i havent lost any weight in the past two weeks, so thats good. so for any ibs-c's who are having trouble, here is a diet i recomend:

LOTS OF FENNEL TEA. When I first started drinking it, I drank about 5 cups a day. Now I only drink 2 a week, cause i'm stable.

Start out with plain boneless skinless chicken breasts, water, plain baked lays, arrowroot cookies, and sourdough english muffins with the 100% Real Smuckers Jam.

Then once you start feeling better, add some good stuff. If it weren't for the following items, I'd go insane:

Clif Bars, any flavor!
Chocolate Soy Milk (Silk)
Amy's Soy Cheese Pizza
Amy's Tofu Vegetable Lasaugna
Soy Dream Soy Ice Cream
Tofuti Cuties Soy Ice Cream Sandwiches

I also eat other stuff like hummus, guacamole, pita chips, lots of veggies. i only drink water and gatorade and tea. cutting out coffee and soda was hard at first, but now i never even crave it.

i know this post was long, and i know everyone's diet will vary. but this is basically just a thank you!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Success story new
      #264076 - 05/18/06 06:36 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I'm happy for you! It must be such a huge relief to be feeling so much better.

Do you take any supplements (digestive enzymes, peppermint capsules, probiotics, soluble fiber supplement) to help you?

I don't see any veggies or fruits in your diet. How do you remain "going" without the insoluble fiber?

For example, what is a daily meal plan for you? Did you have to incorporate all your soy foods in gradually since soy is a bean and can be so gassy?

Thanks for sharing your story. I wish it were mine.

Finally, congrats on graduating! What are your plans now?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Yay! I'm so glad for you. (m) new
      #264093 - 05/18/06 07:52 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

This is great to hear. Thanks for letting us know.

(To quote Bevvy: Soy Dream Mocha Fudge ROCKS!)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Augie - what did you decide about the hypno program? -nt- new
      #264114 - 05/18/06 09:46 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Success story new
      #264264 - 05/18/06 08:24 PM
probably

Reged: 05/18/06

Thank you!

I took peppermint capsules for the first month. I don't think they did anything except make me burp peppermint haha.

Fruit wise, lots of bananas, a mango here and there. Before IBS I was a big fruit person, but now I'm more into veggies.

Veggie wise I eat avacados, asparagus, LOTS of carrots, green peppers, onions (only if they are grilled!), and well i guess thats it.

I took benefiber and it helped, but i always forget to include it in my meails.

Here is an example of a daily meal plan....

Breakfast
Sour Dough English Muffin with Smuckers 100% real fruit spread
OR
a banana

Lunch
A chicken breast pita with hummus, lettuce, and grilled green peppers and onions. A bag of baked lays

Dinner
Usually some type of pasta with veggies and easy on the marinara sauce. Or Amy Soy Cheese Pizza. Or Tofu Veggie Lasagna. Or Chicken. Dinner varies the most. Breakfast and Lunch are pretty consistent.

I am always drinking and snacking through out the day.
Drinks include water and gatorade. Sometimes Chocolate Soy Milk.
Snacks mainly include arrowroot cookies, cliff bars, and baked lays.

I hope this can of some help to someone.

Oh and I didn't really gradually introduce soy into my diet. I started with the soy cheese pizza. Then once that was okay with me, I went crazy with soy products.

I'll try to check this board alot, so if anyone has questions, I will be sure to answer.

Thanks again!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5424 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 736

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review