All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
anyone have problems with silk live smoothies?
      #262879 - 05/11/06 01:50 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

ugh. first attack-type-thing in a really long time. (don't even want to think what it'd've been if i weren't taking an SFS.) today even happened to be a really safe day. the only possible culprit, if it was food, is that i had a silk live smoothie today, for the first time. (i eat silk soy yogurt all the time with no problems.) has anyone found these to be a problem?

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: anyone have problems with silk live smoothies? new
      #262881 - 05/11/06 02:03 PM
stidesheaven

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Colorado

I have had some problems with them but I've found that as long as I drink them after a solublel fiber meal and not the entire thing at once, maybe half, I am okay. Are you eating soluble fiber first?

#262904 - 05/11/06 04:16 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

No, I haven't, but I only drink 1/2 bottle at a time (usually 1/2 w/ my lunch and the rest later as a snack). I don't know if that would make a difference Unfortunately, I've been unable to find them anymore.

#269648 - 06/15/06 11:37 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

The mango smoothies are just fine to me. Dont cause any problems:) They are also Delicious

#269657 - 06/15/06 12:14 PM
MustLoveHorses

Reged: 04/18/06

Here are the ingredients for the Strawberry smoothie:
Filtered water, whole organic soybeans,organic evaporated juice, strawberries, dextrose, strawberry juice concentrate, pectin, sodium citrate, natural flavors, fructan, purple carrot juice, beet juice and red cabbage juice (for color), sea salt, yogurt cultures (L. bulgaricus, S. thermophilus, L. acidophilus, B. bifidum, L casei, L. rhamnosus), tricalcium phosphate, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), alpha-tocopherol (vitamin E), calcium pantothenate, niacin, zinc gluconate, vitamin A palmitate, pyridocine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin B12, biotin, vitamin D2.

For me...all of the different fruit and veg juices would make me sick. The only juice I can tolerate is Pomegranate. I have tried the Silk Live! Smoothies and they make me bloaty and gassy and then very D. I know it is from the misc. juices because this is a typical response to juice for me. I think it might be a high fructose concentration thing. Maybe it is with you as well?

Might be the fructan - looks like that's a type of FOS, new
      #269711 - 06/15/06 04:57 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

a soluble fiber that ferments very rapidly in the gut. It's sort of like inulin. Both FOS and inulin can cause lots of bloating and gas, and in a high dose they can trigger diarrhea.

Lots of companies suddenly seem to be adding inulin and FOS to their food products to bump up the fiber, and because they're prebiotic - and these two varieties are cheap. They're just not good fiber choices for most IBS folks.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Might be the fructan - looks like that's a type of FOS, new
      #269928 - 06/17/06 07:13 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

hmm... i use inulin for my sfs (fiberchoice) and don't have problems with that in food, either. would the fructan still bother me?

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Maybe? Doesn't really seem likely, though. Ah well - it was a thought! -nt- new
      #269974 - 06/17/06 03:31 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2916 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1082

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review