All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and recent gall bladder surgery
      #2601 - 03/12/03 12:36 PM
apymouse

Reged: 03/12/03

Hi, I am new to the site and really glad I found it. I have been dealing with IBS for 17 years and have controled it primarily by diet. Six weeks ago I had my first baby by c-section and last week discovered I had gallstones and had to have my gall bladder removed. All this surgery has thrown my system into a tissy and I am having IBS attacks daily. I know that the gallbladder assists in digesting fats so now that it is gone I am worried that my IBS will get worse. Does anybody have any suggestions or expirience in dealing with this combination?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and recent gall bladder surgery new
      #2605 - 03/12/03 12:42 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Congrats on your new baby! Sounds like you've really been through the wringer recently - hope you're feeling much better soon.

Gallbladder removal can trigger chronic diarrhea, because the bile acids that used to be stored in the gallbladder are now being dumped directly into the small intestine, which can cause irritation (and thus diarrhea). There is a prescription called Questran, or cholestyramine, which can prevent this problem. It has also been helpful for some people with IBS, though I haven't seen any large studies on this.

I would be extra careful to go very low fat until you stabilize, and really increase your soluble fiber foods and supplements. Ask your doc about the Questran if you're experiencing urgent/chronic diarrhea. Between the two you should be able to stabilize and get back on track. You might also check the "breaking the cycle" info at web page

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 551 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 651

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review