All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
yeah, help has arrived
      #258939 - 04/19/06 10:48 AM
tjcanaba

Reged: 04/12/06
Loc: nm

I just received the IBS diet kit #2, acaia, peppermint capsules and the book, eating for IBS. My question is how should I use these products? Do I take the peppermint capsules everday and how much per day? Also, do I take the acaia everday and also how often? Thank you.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: yeah, help has arrived new
      #258957 - 04/19/06 11:35 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - start with 1/2 tsp. of the Acacia twice daily. Increase slowly and steadily - if you go too fast you can get gas and bloating. Just keep gradually raising your dose until you feel stable.

The caps should be taken on an empty stomach about an hour before a meal. You don't want to delay the passage of the caps out of the stomach since they are meant to dissolve in the intestine.

I'd also make sure you take the caps with just enough liquid to swallow them. The enteric coating is impervious to stomach acid but it is water soluble.

The dietary changes in Eating for IBS you can make all at once, right away. This board is a great place if you have any questions about that.

Hope you're feeling much better soon!!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#258961 - 04/19/06 11:41 AM
tjcanaba

Reged: 04/12/06
Loc: nm

Thank you for your reply Heather. Is there a safe limit on how many I should take a day? Also with the acaia, what kind of liquid do I mix it with for the best results?

Tony

#259061 - 04/19/06 07:34 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Follow the dosage on the bottle - 3 peppermint caps a day. Mix the acacia with anything you like except coffee because coffee is not good for IBSers.

#259071 - 04/19/06 08:43 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

For the acacia I mix it with a small amount (1/4c) of juice. Not hot, cold. Let it sit for at least 15-20 minutes after you stir it and it will dissolve. I make 2 small containers of it up daily so it will be dissolved when I drink it. You can also add it to your cereal or potatoes at a meal. It is the best thing I've ever used for my D problem. Good luck....

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

How do you take peppermint capsules and SFS together? new
      #259856 - 04/24/06 10:10 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I use peppermint capsules before meals...but just noticed it says to only take them with a little bit of water. (I've been taking them with a whole cup of hot tea)

Does this mean not to drink anything (water, hot tea) for the whole hour before eating? How can I take some SFS and ginger tea before meals to help with digestion and cushioning while also using peppermint capsules?

Help!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: How do you take peppermint capsules and SFS together? new
      #259902 - 04/24/06 01:41 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I've tried 2 ways and both seem to work fine. I guess if you have problems with GERD you may need to be careful about how much water you have with them.

1- I take my SFS with a lot of water about an hour before eating. Then at the start of my meal, I have a peppermint capsule, and don't drink much with my meal. I found this to be the best way.

2- I take a peppermint capsule 1 hour before, on an empty stomach with just a sip of water. Then don't drink anything until I have my meal. I'll then have my SFS with my meal and lots of water. I tend to get more gassy doing this though.

Hope that helps,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

Thanks Kat.... new
      #260202 - 04/26/06 12:19 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

According to the people who work with Heather...this is what is recommended...

"Beth-

If you are OK taking them with a cup of water that's fine, they just may dissolve a bit faster. It is fine to take the peppermint caps with a small amount of water and then after 20 minutes or so you can drink something else. Anyway, the supplements will be most effective with only a little bit of water, but as long as you wait 20-30 minutes you can still have a cup of tea or so about a half an hour before the meal.

Hope this helps!"

Sounds like your way is working fine though!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: How do you take peppermint capsules and SFS together? new
      #260520 - 04/28/06 07:00 AM
rlhilliard

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: Racine, WI

this is good info. maybe I'll try it this way. I was having issues with it and just stopped taking them.

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3075 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3699

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review