All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Lactose Intolerant
      #2557 - 03/12/03 03:11 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

I think I am lactose intolerant. I can't have eggs, milk drinks, cream, sour cream, cheese etc without getting massive cramps and 'd' straight away. Is this possible? Do you actually have to be tested to see if you are lactose intolerant or can you assume it by 'gut instinct' (so to speak).

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lactose Intolerant new
      #2558 - 03/12/03 03:17 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

dairy products and eggs are gi stimulants and can cause d and cramps. it is always better to get the test done to confirm that you are in reality lactose intolerant. i notice that lactose gives me gas, but no d (thank god)

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#2559 - 03/12/03 03:21 AM
tlc

Hey, thanks for that. What is the test that you have to get done?

#2560 - 03/12/03 03:26 AM
tlc

THis may sound silly as I"m still new to this, but I can't find my post up on the message board. I only got to it this way because it was on the general discussion thing as the most recent message. When I click on the eating for ibs forum, I can't see my post.

#2563 - 03/12/03 05:19 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Not a silly question at all. Sometimes they move around. The newest post is always at the top. Your post may change places often. As for the lactose thing, Concrete Angel was exactly right. I could not have said it better myself. Always good to get the test done. I am severely lactose intolerant WITH IBS both. IBS does not equal lactose intolerance although the two often go hand in hand, and that dairy is a major IBS trigger.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#2598 - 03/12/03 12:32 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - You can be lactose intolerant AND have IBS, but you can also not be lactose intolerant and have IBS, and dairy will still trigger attacks. There are lots of things in dairy that cause problems for IBS - lactose is just one of them. The high fat content is a huge trigger, and the dairy proteins casein and whey bother a lot of people as well. I'm not lactose intolerant, but small amounts of any high fat dairy product make me very sick (as do large amounts of skim dairy products).

The test for lactose intolerance used to be brutal -they'd draw blood every 15 minutes or so for several hours, after you drank this huge glass of sludge. I had this as a kid and wow, what an unpleasant memory. Good news is, the test is now fast and easy and not unpleasant at all, so no worries there.

If you find out you're NOT lactose intolerant, but you do have IBS, I'd still assume dairy is a trigger no matter what and avoid it altogether.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#2651 - 03/13/03 02:45 AM
tlc

Thanks a lot for your reply. I am noticing that my post does change places very quickly and I'm hunting around to find it, but hey, it's worth it as the warmth and support of others is fantastic.

How do you set out your broswer? With categories or lines of threads?

#2652 - 03/13/03 02:47 AM
tlc

Thanks a lot for the advice Heather. Maybe I shouldn't bother about the test because it seems like a catch 22 - you can have it, or if you don't, it can still cause triggers for ibs.

What is the test? what does it involve? I am freaked out by needles, so if that's the case, I'll live without finding out!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1506 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1104

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review