All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Louise: Carbohydrates & Sugar new
      #25937 - 11/07/03 09:22 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Thanks, that was a great explanation! So am I correct in thinking that if I eat a hamburger bun that is whole wheat and one that is regular white, even if the fat and calories are listed to be the same in each, ultimatly the white bun will make me gain more weight?? I realize that may not be the best for IBS, strictly talking weight gain here.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Louise,,, new
      #25959 - 11/07/03 10:06 AM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

these breads are what you suggest in the book under stabilizing attacks, or similar topic, but I always have protein with it anyways. I would not be able to survive on plain white bread, either.

This is a good suggestion! Easier on the tummy than whole wheat. -nt- new
      #26070 - 11/07/03 12:47 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thank you - good info! -nt- new
      #26071 - 11/07/03 12:49 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thank you Karen! -nt- new
      #26072 - 11/07/03 12:51 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Nope - what matters is the calories new
      #26073 - 11/07/03 12:56 PM
HeatherAdministrator

If the number of calories in both buns is equal, you're no more likely to gain weight from the white bun than the whole wheat. If you burn more calories than you eat, you'll lose weight. If you eat more calories than you burn, you'll gain weight. Doesn't matter where/when/how those calories come from.

The catch here is that the whole wheat bun would fill you up for a longer period of time than the white bun because of the insoluble fiber, so you're less likely to keep eating more food. But the insoluble fiber could trigger IBS symptoms. So, it's a matter of finding a balance between a good soluble fiber base for your IBS, and incorporating as much insoluble fiber (from all sources - maybe whole wheat is intolerable for you, but brown rice or cooked veggies aren't) as you can while keeping your gut stable.

You can also eliminate refined sugars from your diet completely (candy, desserts, white/brown sugars in recipes, corn syrup, etc.) You don't need them for anything.

- Heather

--------------------

Re: Starving! ..........replying to you Katgirl.......about acupuncture new
      #26118 - 11/07/03 04:09 PM
barb n

Reged: 10/14/03

Thanks for your post back. I want to reply to some of the things you said more fully soon -- i am a bit rushed just now -- but i wanted to tell you that my daughter has gotten alot of help from doing acupuncture. In fact, we thought it was the cure for what was wrong with her for a long time. But she kept having "setbacks" and so we decided it wasn't the whole picture. But when she originally got sick, 8 months ago -- acupuncture was the only thing that got her back on track and helped her to function normally. It also has been really good for helping to calm her anxieties. She has a tendency to sort of "freeze up" -- sometimes it will be her digestion and sometimes her bowels. The acupuncture seems to always sort of "get her going". She has been getting it almost weekly for about 7 months. We found a person near her college and that has been helping her alot -- but the addition of Heather's diet and the soluble fiber supplement has so far kept her from having setbacks which were starting to get quite frequent suddenly about a month ago (even with acupuncture) -- mostly it was very bad C.

Also - i wanted to tell you that i think a laxative as a very temporary measure is ok, and important to get that stuff out! -- my daughter was using an herbal laxative tea -- but she could tell it sort of wrenched her insides -- and of course you can get dependent on them to go at all, so she tried not to use it much. She has been able to get off of the laxative tea now because of the fiber supplements....so i hope they will work as well for you. If you still are having a post (mail) strike, maybe you could pick up some fiber supplements at the pharmacy, and get started right away. Its ok to mix and match different brands and forms (caps and powder) but just observe how you react to each kind. I don't know what is available there, but here in the U.S., you can get fiber supplements at a pharmacy that carries over the counter medications.

I think my daughter might really like to email with you and the other college student who offered -- i will talk with her about it when she is home for a few days at Thanksgiving. She is so busy right now, and we have to communicate alot about her health -- i haven't mentioned it yet. I want to show her how to use the message board and stuff (she is a little computer retarded - like me -- but i just have to show it to her)... But -- it has been really hard for her to not have any friends who really understand what is going on with her and i know she feels like she is in hiding sort of. So I think it would be great to share that with someone else. I'll let you know about that soon. Good luck and i will write you more soon.

Re: Starving! more on fiber supplements new
      #26133 - 11/07/03 07:05 PM
barb n

Reged: 10/14/03

Hi ~ I want to give you my email address as i have more to tell you about (the wheat issue) but my posts tend to be quite long, as you can see, and I don't know that all my blah blah blah is all that helpful to others on the message board ! I did write you a post a bit earlier today about acupuncture which could possibly be helpful to others - i don't know if you saw it.....

One more thing i thought of about fiber supplements for you -- Heather's supplement (which i just ordered also!) is powder and i do think for you all in college its a good idea to have both powder and capsules and interchange them, whichever is most convenient. My daughter has used the capsules alot, before each meal -- and is just starting to use the powder now. The caps are good when you are out, more convenient -- so i think you should try to get some caps also. The powder is nice because its less cumbersome --- the caps get to be alot of pills to take (when you are up to full dose - you are taking 24 a day!) So they each have their advantages. Maybe message board people in England could tell you where to find them and which brands are there, she is using Fibercon and it has really worked well for her.... Two more things for you to know about starting to take the fiber supplements (sorry if you already know these) -- start at a low dosage (like 3 grams a day) and gradually increase it until you are taking 10 - 12 grams a day, over about 3-4 weeks. And, at first, while you are still trying to stabilize - spread your usage out over the day - then, as you are better, you can use it just morning and night. Also, it is ok to take it with meals or in between -- but taking it before a meal is a safety factor because it puts some soluble fiber in your tummy to start a meal. I would suggest doing that while you are still shaky. Why don't you email me and i will tell you about the wheat issue and my daughter, in case that would be helpful for you. My address is gnelson@cruzio.com --Barb

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1454 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12965

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review