All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Louise,,, new
      #25824 - 11/06/03 11:12 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Well, they're high in complex carbs, which is what your body needs for fuel, and they shouldn't have any sugar at all. But carbs are the easiest thing for your body to digest, so they'll digest more quickly than fats and proteins. The carbs and soluble fiber are temporarily filling, but you need some fat and proteins for longer-term satiety. Otherwise you'll quickly fill up, but be hungry again pretty shortly.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#25837 - 11/06/03 12:39 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

When I was in the Sugarbusters diet (years ago), white bread and sourdough were no-no's because they said it was full of sugar. I was told the same thing when I joined Weight Watchers----that white bread would just make you hungrier. Is it not high in sugar, Heather?

Re: Starving!...wholemeal bread? new
      #25851 - 11/06/03 02:02 PM
katgirl

Reged: 10/31/03

Is wholemeal bread ok? I used to eat it lots but since finding this ite ive changed to white bread...but white bread doesn't fill me up and i can easily eat loads of it and still be hungry an hour or two later. I know that its best to avoid whole wheat, whole grains etc, but surely a little bit of wholemeal is ok?

#25858 - 11/06/03 04:58 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - the only ingredients in white breads should be wheat flour, water, salt and yeast. The only difference with the ingredients in whole wheat bread is that the flour will be whole wheat, not refined wheat, so it will have the wheat bran and the wheat germ. Refining the flour doesn't somehow add sugar, it just removes the insoluble fiber (and the nutrients in the germ and bran). There should be no added sugar in your breads. Sugar is a simple carbohydrate. Flour is a complex carbohydrate, not a simple sugar. Sugar Busters I really don't give much credit to at all. Weight Watchers I do think is overall a very good diet/living plan, but if they're telling you that white breads are high in sugar they're just plain wrong about that.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Could this be a confusion of terms? new
      #25896 - 11/06/03 11:11 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I've noticed that on bread packaging where they list the fat content etc underneath the carbohydrate listing sugras is listed as like a sub heading.

eg Carbohydrates 28.8g
- sugars 2.3g

I've noticed my rye bread packaging lists the amount of 'sugars' as less than the amount listed on the white bread packaging.

Could this be where the confusion is? I must admit I'm a bit confused too.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: Starving! some ideas which i hope might help you.... new
      #25899 - 11/07/03 02:20 AM
katgirl

Reged: 10/31/03

Hey barb n
thanx for your long post - i appreciate it. I followed the link you gave and read the posts on there and found some useful information. Sorry that you daughter is going through the same thing - i know how concerned you must be, cus the past 6 months has sent my mum into a ton of worry - only yesterday she phones me really worried about how i am coping, so i know how hard this can be for closest family members as well as for the people who are suffering from IBS themselves. Some of the suggestions you made I am already following for instance I drink a lot of water, have done for ages, Ive started to drink lots of peppermint tea and Ive ordered some soluble fibre supplements off this website, plus more tea and the acacia so hopefully those should arrive next week sometime (depending on what's happening with the post strike!)At the moment Im taking movicol - which is basically a strong laxative to try and get my bowels moving again - its only a short-term prescription my doctor gave me, but i had a b/m for the first time in a week yday so hopefully that might just provide some light relief. I know its not a long-term solution and as soon as the soluble fibre supplements arrive i'll start taking them. I also realise that maybe my condition has got worse because the last week I probably cut out too much insoluble fibre and ate too much soluble fibre. I made myself some chicken and rice yesterday, which not only tastes far better than college food, but actually filled me up since the insoluble fibre with white bread etc isn't that filling. My collee food is really worth avoiding - lunch is ok where i can grab a baked potato or a baguette, but dinner is just pure yuck! It's impossible to work out what they put in the stews or whatever they describe it as - usually some form of red meat which im trying to avoid anyways, so im going to start making my own dinner most nights - im off to buy a new mini-fridge next weekend, as the one i've got at the moment doesn't work that great!.

thanx for your offer of sending things over - i really appreciate it, tho i do have a supermarket near by and my parents are coming up next weekend so we're going on a big shop and stocking my room up with enough food so that i always have something safe to eat if i need something.

i also read that your duaghter had acupuncture? I had a few sessions back home, but havent had any since coming to Uni. I though that they were benficial and i might see if there's someone near me here who does acupuncuture. Is your daughter still having acupuncture now?

also you mentioned that you thought your daughter might be wheat intolerant? Or is it just the IBS? Im going through every food trying to find out which ones work well for me and which ones don't - at the moment, everything I seem to eat leaves me feeling bloated, achey and tired, but I'll get there eventually. I've spent months trying to work IBS out and try and mimimise the symptoms as much as possible. I am still confident that one day everything will click into place and I'll be able to return to my relatively normal self - this board has really helped, both heathers advice and all the posts - it's really comforting to read that im not the only person who feels like this and also that there are many people of a similar age. Tell your daughter that if she ever wants to chat to anyone who's going through the same thing, then she's more than welcome to email me. Thanx for your advice, I'll keep you updated and let you know how things are going - Kat x

Re: Starving!...wholemeal bread? new
      #25900 - 11/07/03 02:52 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

If you ever make your own breads from Heather's recipes, I find it makes them more filling if I use flax seed meal in them, it has "good" fat and is used in replacement of oil (but can only replace about half the oil as it doesn't make it quite as moist). Good luck!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#25916 - 11/07/03 07:28 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I have been doing some research on line in regards to carbs and sugar. I have been stuggling to lose weight even though I work out 6 days a week. This is MY interpation of my reading....

The more refined the carbs in a food are the more insulin your body produces to digest it. Its after this spike in insulin wears off that you feel hungry again. Thats why wheat bread seems more filling than white bread. It also has something to do with the insoluble fiber in the whole grains and wheat, it helps stablize that insulin spike. I know that kinda goes against what Heather says is good for IBS. I am prone to constipation and may body seems to tolerate a lot more insoluble fiber than a lot of others with IBS. I just started to try and reduce my "white carbs" the last couple of days so I will keep report in a few weeks how I am feeling. I am in no way supporting the atkins diet(I did that a few years ago and felt HORRIBLE!) I am simply trying to reduce the refined carbs and eat more protein.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Louise: Carbohydrates & Sugar new
      #25925 - 11/07/03 08:42 AM
YogaTeacher

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: New Hampshire

Hey Everyone,

Maybe this will help clear up your confusion:

1) Carbohydrates when consumed are broken down into glucose, a simple blood sugar that's transported throughout the body.

(So, although there is no sugar listed as an ingredient in the bread, complex carbs, which bread is made of, are broken down into a sugar so that the body can use it for fuel)

2) THE 3 FACES of CARBOHYDRATES:

Dietary carbohydrates come in three sizes: simple, compound, and
complex. Simple carbohydrates include table sugar. Compound carbohydrates are the fruit sugars. Complex carbohydrates are starches of vegetables and grains.

It is important to recognize that for your body to burn a potato for energy, the complex carbohydrates must be totally broken down to the simple sugars of which it is basically made. In a sense, therefore, a potato or piece of bread ultimately becomes sugar before it is used. But before this bread or potato is burned, it takes a while for the body to break down the complex structure of its molecules; conversely, simple sugars can enter your cells in a rush and flood the cells' machinery with a sugar push. (Sugar pushes are not so great for the body as you then ultimately crash!)

3) COMPLEX CARBS: Formed when multiple simple sugars combine, these carbs should constitute the greatest percentage of your daily carb intake. The complex bonds make them ideal for prolonged energy demands, such as during a workout, due to their slow digestive process and the muscle's requirement for carbohydrates as its primary fuel source. They include starches (how plants store their energy, such as in breads, pasta, rice, legumes and tubers), fiber (complex carbs that aren't digested but are important for health) and glycogen (when you eat red meat, for example, you're getting stored sugar in the form of glycogen).

4) SIMPLE CARBS: Simple sugars, which don't need to be broken down, are best consumed post-exercise to quickly replace spent energy sources. They include glucose (simple sugar, the end product of all carb breakdown), sucrose (common table sugar), fructose (fruit), galactose
(milk) and maltose (malt sugar).

--------------------
"You have to be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Whole grains new
      #25933 - 11/07/03 09:14 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

The insoluble fibre in whole grain foods makes them harder to digest (as we know!) which means they take LONGER to digest. This is why you don't get the high/low scenario you get with sugar.

Btw, calling sugars "refined" is a misnomer. Fructose is a sugar and this occurs naturally in fruit. Sucrose occurs naturally in sugar cane/beet. Glucose is the form of energy our bodies digest and is what is usually in energy drinks.

The refinement occurs with white flour and rice, when the husks of the grain/rice is removed, making it "white". This isn't neccessarily bad, it's just removing the insoluble fibre.

With carbohydrates, it's their length that counts. Glucose is a 1-bit carb. Fructose and Sucrose are 2-bit carbs. The carbs in pasta, rice, etc are long-chain carbs. All carbohydrates are broken down into their (1-bit) components in order for the body to digest them.

Hope this helps! I don't like people thinking that "sugars" are just plain bad!

Linz

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2925 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13002

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review