All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Swelling/bloated
      #25346 - 11/03/03 02:34 PM
Stressed Mom

Reged: 10/21/03

My daughter's stomach gets very distended, but usually doesn't have pain, thank God. Does anyone have this? She tried insoluble fiber had PAIN. At least with insoluble fiber she doesn't have the pain. How can we stop this extreme swelling though?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Swelling/bloated new
      #25348 - 11/03/03 02:40 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - best thing I've found for bloating is fennel. Helps relieve it and prevent it too. Info is here fennel

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#26818 - 11/12/03 03:28 PM
Stressed Mom

Reged: 10/21/03

Thanks fo writing. My daughter tried the fennel tea, but it didn't seem to help. The soluble fiber helps for no pain, but her stomach still distends a LOT after eating even a small amount. She drinks a lot of herbal peppermint& green tea...Do other people with IBS have this bloating that doesn't have pain or gas?

#26820 - 11/12/03 03:35 PM
katgirl

Reged: 10/31/03

I have the same problem...everytime i eat anything, even if its just a small amount, i suffer really bad bloating but not usually pain. at the moment it just feels like ive constantly got an elephant inside of me! Ive just received heathers fennel tea so hopefully that might help.

#26849 - 11/12/03 08:36 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Are you sure it's just anything? Perhaps she's eating something on a daily basis that's a trigger? I know back when I didn't know what my trigger foods were I always looked 6 months pregnant!!

--------------------
IBS-C

#26867 - 11/13/03 08:33 AM
katgirl

Reged: 10/31/03

I can't speak for ''stressed mom's'' daughter but when i say anything i mean anything...even if its just soluble fibre ie a piece of bread, a piece of fruit, anything i eat makes me instantly bloated.

#27948 - 11/19/03 06:20 PM
emmie's mom

Reged: 05/03/03

Hi, my 15 year old daughter is having similar problems: severe constipation (rock hard cement plugs) and scary bloating. I thought we had it figured out for about 3 weeks--we eliminated milk and all dairy completely from her diet and put in a mega-mix of insoluble and soluble fiber. She also took one "Culturelle" bacteria supplement (available over the counter in a drugstore) in the morning, along with one flax oil capsule and one Posture-D Calcium supplement. The flax and Calcium supplement were repeated in the evening, along with a multivitamin. I also found a very heavy, German-made linseed bread in a health food store, and gave her that as a supplement for lunch. (It's pretty hard to eat without some marmalade or jam on it, and the weight alone probably moves things along by sheer gravity...) Her breakfast, lunch and dinner always included some form of beans, lentils or peas. It seemed to help to spread the fiber out over the day, which is sometimes hard with teens. They are never hungry in the morning! I tried to choose foods that did NOT have any high fructose corn syrup added--it's in a lot of stuff that is in the grocery store. Well, she did just great on this diet! We had taken her off Zelnorm, because it wasn't working anymore, and found that on this diet, she was going on her own several times a day, normal in every way, and wasn't bloated at all. We made sure that she exercised in some way every single day. Things were really looking up until this past weekend, when she gave into temptation and had way too much fruit (melon!) one evening. We seem to be back to the same awful cycle of intense bloating, constipation, and finally having to resort to Dulcolax and Fleet phosphosoda, etc. The laxatives almost never work as prescribed, and she needs far more than recommended to get her going. We keep pushing the fennel tea (which she hates) and the peppermint tea (which she will tolerate, but is getting sick of). I have pulled back on the Benefiber, and have held off on starting the Acacia fiber for fear that it might be contributing to the problem. I read somewhere (probably the Citrucel advertisement!) that Benefiber can ferment in the gut and cause gas in some people. I think Benefiber is the same stuff as the Acacia, but am not sure. She is taking one or two peppermint/fennel capsules inbetween meals. We're hoping that we can get her back to where we were a week ago. It's hard for kids to deal with the bloating. We have a supply of loose clothing with elastic waistbands, and do the best we can to reassure her. We find that we have to get her to school late sometimes, after the laxatives have had a chance to work. She will drop 15 pounds almost immediately after they take effect, and after having a chance to recover, can then go to school. Has anyone else found a solution to this problem? What seems to work? Is there an explanation for this bloating?

Been there ... new
      #27949 - 11/19/03 07:07 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

Yes, I did. The biggest help for me was taking beano with any fiber, taking acidolphilus-bifidus at morning and at night, and taking citracel each morning. Also, eating a couple of soy yogurts a day is helpful.

Hope this helps

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Active Cultures are SO IMPORTANT new
      #27950 - 11/19/03 07:13 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

maybe she can take acidolphilus-bifidus, three capsules, right before bed. i take the NOW brand and refridgerate it after opening. I take it in the morning, too. For me, this gets me moving. Thus, I am less constipated, thus there is less "bad" bacteria in my gut, thus there is less bloating. You see, my bloating was caused by the gasses produced by the bacteria in the excess fecies, as well as the sheer amount of waste waiting to be expelled. ACTIVE CULTURES, found in acid-bif pills and soy yogurt, restore healthy intestinal flora. This = pooping and no bloating! I have been there -- And I know your daughter will get through this.

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Note on the intestinal flora and bloating... new
      #27983 - 11/19/03 10:58 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

One reason the bifidus and other live cultures are helpful is that they are "good" gut flora, and they help reduce bloating and gas. They're considered probiotics. Acacia actually encourages the growth of probiotics (the good gut flora), which means that it is a prebiotic, so it also helps reduce bloating and gas. Benefiber is not the same thing as acacia - it is guar gum, a completely different soluble fiber.

Probiotics and prebiotics in general do not have an immediate, drastic effect. They're products that you need to take consistently for a while, to build up your good gut flora, before you'll see an effect. And then you need to keep taking them regularly to continue their effects. Soy yogurts can definitely help here as well.

Probiotics/prebiotics are all definitely worth the wait as they do have clinically established effects on IBS. The soluble fiber aspect of the Acacia is something that will help right away though, especially if your gut is used to soluble fiber. This is a different benefit to the supplement than the prebiotic aspect.

Hope your daughter is back on track soon.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1344 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5633

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review