All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Pregnancy
      #24992 - 10/30/03 06:44 PM
narelle

Reged: 04/27/03

Hi

I just found out this morning that I am pregnant. Am very excited!

I have some concerns though. I'm about 3-4 weeks in and I have been drinking aloe vera juice a few times a week. What harm could I have done?

Can I still take vitamin c powder (calcium ascorbate) throughout my pregnancy? My doctor said it should be fine but I want to be 100 % certain.

Thanks
Narelle

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pregnancy new
      #25014 - 10/31/03 03:43 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi! Congratulations!!

I don't have any advice for you - never been pregnant! But, hopefully HanSolo will be around to help you out. Or anyone else that is/has been pregnant may have some advice for you. I just wanted to say congratulations.

#25017 - 10/31/03 05:14 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Congratulations! Wonderful news. I don't really have any answers for you, but I would recommend a book: What to Expect When You're Expecting. It's wonderful. As for the vitamin C - you've done right by consulting your Doc. You can also check online for additional advice re: dosage.
As for the aloe vera juice - what's done is done. I have no idea whether it's harmful, but if you're only 3 or 4 weeks pregnant, remember that it takes several days after conception for the baby to attatch itself to the uterine wall. That means it was not in contact with your system. Know what I'm saying? I think it attaches about 10 days after conception, so if you're 3 or 4 weeks, the baby likely didn't have much exposure to it.
Did your Doc recommend a prenatal vitamin? If not, I would ask him/her about it - especially since you have IBS. It gave me a peace of mind. If you have ANY questions, let us know! There have been previous posts on pregnancy. You might want to hit the search button. Congrats again!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Congratulations! new
      #25019 - 10/31/03 06:01 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hello! I am pregnant as well, with my first. You must very excited! I am due April 28, 2004 and am still learning everything.

I understand your worries. I was so worried when I found out because I was smoking full time. My doctor has told me - it's so new - don't worry - just make your changes now.

So you will be ok! I agree with Hans - get the book What to Expect when you are Expecting.

There is also called What to Eat when you are Expecting, and What to Expect When you Wife is Expecting. These are all very helpful.

Are you on any pre natal vitamins? You should be on them to help prevent Spinabifata. (sp?)

So when are you due?

I am so excited for you...we can learn things togethers LOL

Oh and welcome to the boards!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#25072 - 10/31/03 02:04 PM
narelle

Thank you! There are some lovely people here

Re: Congratulations! new
      #25075 - 10/31/03 02:10 PM
narelle

Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm so nervous, there is so much to learn. My sister has had two boys in the past three years so she is helping me put some pieces together. She has a similar book to What to Expect which I will borrow, but I will check that out also.

I have started making changes straight away! No caffiene or alcohol, I quit smoking a year or so ago.

I haven't found an Ob/Gyn that I will see yet, the first doctor I went to has recommended a hospital/medical centre to me. I'll have my first major check up in about four weeks. I'm due 30th June so a long time yet!

Congratulations also It will be so good to know a fellow IBS-er who is also pregnant!

#25076 - 10/31/03 02:13 PM
narelle

Thank you for your help, you have eased my mind a little about the aloe vera. I think some herbs and things can cause miscarriages so as long as I stop now, fingers crossed things will be OK.

The board seems extraordinarily helpful so I'll search around older postings.

My doc has recommended I take folic acid, there is also another called Elivit I think, which has more stuff. I will look into that too.

Thank you,
Narelle

Congratulations to you! ----nt--- new
      #25098 - 10/31/03 07:35 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

#25103 - 10/31/03 09:05 PM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

Congrats to you!
I don't have up-to-date advise my baby is now 30 yrs old!
Just enjoy every moment.
Paintlady

#29888 - 12/03/03 10:33 AM
loudmama

Reged: 05/07/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Hey,

I just have to add that the What to Expect When Your Expecting books are not my favorite. I know they popular, but I really liked The Pregnancy Book & The Birth Book better! The are by William & Martha Sears. Just another alternative to think about....

I too, would like to be pregnant again soon. I'm hoping I get my ibs in control w/o meds. The anti-spasmodic drug I was on was a class "c" while pregnant & the new one I just had them prescribe me is a class "b". It's safer, I'm just hoping I can manage w/o.

Congrats to the pregnant mama's!

L

Definitely get yourself on a soluble fiber supplement asap... new
      #29924 - 12/03/03 03:58 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

because this is a great way to control your IBS that is also safe for use in pregnancy. If you can work your way up to a good 12-15 grams of a supplement daily, that should work wonders to keep your bowel function normal once you're pregnant.

The Acacia is the best option I know of for this situation, because it's organic, there's nothing else in it but soluble fiber, and it's actually a traditional remedy for pregnancy and post-partum related GI problems. It's been an ingredient in Ayurvedic medicines for women for centuries, and it's used as an inert ingredient in drugs prescribed to pregnant women. There is really interesting info about this published in a range of sources - you can even just do a Google search for "gum arabic" or Acacia (they're the exact same thing) and pregnancy.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 515 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2269

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review