All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Honey
      #24909 - 10/30/03 08:51 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Is honey okay? I'm puzzled cos of the fructose.

I've bought some Chamomile and honey tea, which is scrumptious, so I hope I don't have to give it up!

Linz

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Honey new
      #24917 - 10/30/03 09:02 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I love honey. I don't have a problem with it.

#24921 - 10/30/03 09:28 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Nope - honey is okay!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#24928 - 10/30/03 09:39 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

I have it on anything that it goes with it's my stable solution to sugar adn it's natural. Enjoy!
Sherri

#24957 - 10/30/03 11:19 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

I just read in the copy of February 17 newsletter that 40% of honey is sugar/ fructose. So I guess we should eat it moderately, thus it could be trigger in most IBS persons.
I do love it and I have it almost every morning on french toast or waffle. A little won't hurt, but if it does stop because it's not worth the pain.
Sherri

Yep - it's really quanitity that matters here... new
      #24958 - 10/30/03 11:22 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Honey in tea or on toast is usually just fine. If you're fructose-intolerant (different than IBS, but lots of people have both) be careful and see how you do. Otherwise, unless you're eating it straight from the jar, it should be perfectly tolerable.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks guys! - nt new
      #25006 - 10/31/03 01:06 AM
Linz

Re: Yep - Fructose in Honey Too???!!! IS Sucrose safe? or is it just plain sugar??? new
      #25117 - 11/01/03 05:09 AM
marnie

Reged: 09/17/03

Getting confused here! Corn syrup is bad, isn't it. What other sweeteners besides artificial ones?

Tks.

Marnie

Edited by marnie (11/01/03 05:12 AM)

Re: Yep - Fructose in Honey Too???!!! IS Sucrose safe? or is it just plain sugar??? new
      #25155 - 11/01/03 02:44 PM
Linz

Fructose is the sugar you get from fruit and this what honey is made of (from flowers). Fructose is an GI stimulant. High-fructose corn syrup is the "baddie" for IBS. As you've read, honey is okay in SMALL amounts.

Sucrose is what people think of as "normal" sugar. This comes from sugar cane and beet. This is usually fine for IBS.

Glucose is one of the most basic forms of sugar. In chemical terms, its the smallest sugar molecule. This should be fine for IBS. Your body breaks all carbohydrates down into glucose to absorb the energy, which is why high energy drinks (like Lucozade) are made from glucose.

Info about Honey. new
      #25162 - 11/01/03 07:17 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I recently checked out a book at the Library called, Kick the Junk Food Habit With Snackers. It was published in 1978, but has a lot of great info. and recipes.

According to the author honey is the best sweetener you can use, has fewer calories than sugar and contains protein (9 of the ten essential amino acids), phosphorus, potassium, B vitamins and vitamin C.

The catch is you need to buy honey that has not been boiled, filtered or adulterated in any way.

Durning the Pioneer days sugar was a luxury item that only wealthy people could purchase. The Farmers had to produce their own honey.

When substituting honey for sugar use 3/4 Cup in place of 1 Cup of sugar. Then decrease liquid ingred. by 1/4 Cup or increase dry ingred. by 1/4 Cup. The author also states as your family becomes use to the different taste you can decrease honey to 1/2 Cup to 1 Cup of sugar and do the same with the wet and dry ingred.

Your oven temperture should be lowered by 25 degrees, since honey browns faster. Also draws more moisture from the air, so store your baked items in an airtight container.

Hope this info. is helpful.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3461 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6163

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review