All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Honey
      #24909 - 10/30/03 08:51 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Is honey okay? I'm puzzled cos of the fructose.

I've bought some Chamomile and honey tea, which is scrumptious, so I hope I don't have to give it up!

Linz

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Honey new
      #24917 - 10/30/03 09:02 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I love honey. I don't have a problem with it.

#24921 - 10/30/03 09:28 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Nope - honey is okay!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#24928 - 10/30/03 09:39 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

I have it on anything that it goes with it's my stable solution to sugar adn it's natural. Enjoy!
Sherri

#24957 - 10/30/03 11:19 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

I just read in the copy of February 17 newsletter that 40% of honey is sugar/ fructose. So I guess we should eat it moderately, thus it could be trigger in most IBS persons.
I do love it and I have it almost every morning on french toast or waffle. A little won't hurt, but if it does stop because it's not worth the pain.
Sherri

Yep - it's really quanitity that matters here... new
      #24958 - 10/30/03 11:22 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Honey in tea or on toast is usually just fine. If you're fructose-intolerant (different than IBS, but lots of people have both) be careful and see how you do. Otherwise, unless you're eating it straight from the jar, it should be perfectly tolerable.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks guys! - nt new
      #25006 - 10/31/03 01:06 AM
Linz

Re: Yep - Fructose in Honey Too???!!! IS Sucrose safe? or is it just plain sugar??? new
      #25117 - 11/01/03 05:09 AM
marnie

Reged: 09/17/03

Getting confused here! Corn syrup is bad, isn't it. What other sweeteners besides artificial ones?

Tks.

Marnie

Edited by marnie (11/01/03 05:12 AM)

Re: Yep - Fructose in Honey Too???!!! IS Sucrose safe? or is it just plain sugar??? new
      #25155 - 11/01/03 02:44 PM
Linz

Fructose is the sugar you get from fruit and this what honey is made of (from flowers). Fructose is an GI stimulant. High-fructose corn syrup is the "baddie" for IBS. As you've read, honey is okay in SMALL amounts.

Sucrose is what people think of as "normal" sugar. This comes from sugar cane and beet. This is usually fine for IBS.

Glucose is one of the most basic forms of sugar. In chemical terms, its the smallest sugar molecule. This should be fine for IBS. Your body breaks all carbohydrates down into glucose to absorb the energy, which is why high energy drinks (like Lucozade) are made from glucose.

Info about Honey. new
      #25162 - 11/01/03 07:17 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I recently checked out a book at the Library called, Kick the Junk Food Habit With Snackers. It was published in 1978, but has a lot of great info. and recipes.

According to the author honey is the best sweetener you can use, has fewer calories than sugar and contains protein (9 of the ten essential amino acids), phosphorus, potassium, B vitamins and vitamin C.

The catch is you need to buy honey that has not been boiled, filtered or adulterated in any way.

Durning the Pioneer days sugar was a luxury item that only wealthy people could purchase. The Farmers had to produce their own honey.

When substituting honey for sugar use 3/4 Cup in place of 1 Cup of sugar. Then decrease liquid ingred. by 1/4 Cup or increase dry ingred. by 1/4 Cup. The author also states as your family becomes use to the different taste you can decrease honey to 1/2 Cup to 1 Cup of sugar and do the same with the wet and dry ingred.

Your oven temperture should be lowered by 25 degrees, since honey browns faster. Also draws more moisture from the air, so store your baked items in an airtight container.

Hope this info. is helpful.

Re: Info about Honey. Thanks girls great info!! -nt- new
      #25174 - 11/02/03 09:04 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

sprite pop curly fries new
      #25177 - 11/02/03 09:24 AM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

is sprite pop not a good thing for us ibs people? what is the trigger on that to us all? i had loose stool yesterday after my wife and i went to resteraunt and ate curly fries with sprite pop. i also had grilled chicken sandwich to.
jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

egg beaters new
      #25178 - 11/02/03 09:33 AM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

is egg beater good for ibs?
IS POP CORN GOOD FOR IBS? ONION POWDER GOOD FOR IBS? JASPER

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

Re: sprite pop curly fries new
      #25179 - 11/02/03 10:28 AM
Jennifer Rose

Hi Jasper,

Sprite is bad because of the carbonation inside the drink - it creates excess gas. Also the curly fries and if they had any sauce or excess fat on the grilled sandwich would have done it too.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: egg beaters new
      #25180 - 11/02/03 10:29 AM
Jennifer Rose

Egg beaters and onion powder is good.

Popcorn is bad unless you can find the hull-less kind.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Yep - LINZ..........REFructose in Honey Too???!!! IS Sucrose safe? or is it just plain sugar??? new
      #25185 - 11/02/03 12:09 PM
marnie

Hey Linz,

Thanks a ton for setting me straight. Guess I have so much to learn!!!!!!!! I had thought honey was FINE! I notice there's fructose even in Rice Krispies.

Nice to know abt. Lucozade......might be a nice drink change!

Marnie

#25202 - 11/02/03 02:30 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Actually, the curly fries were probably fried, so they were not good with or without sauce.

#25205 - 11/02/03 02:46 PM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

I use 1 tsp of honey per day in one of my cups of tea-i buy local honey available at our town's health food store. An added benefit is it has really helped to control my allergies, sice it has minute quantities of pollens, etc! Mary

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

Note about fructose... new
      #25230 - 11/02/03 05:35 PM
HeatherAdministrator

small amounts, especially with soluble fiber, are fine for most folks with IBS. The rice krispies, for example, are not a high fructose food. Unless you're fructose intolerant a small amount of fructose is probably going to be fine. A large amount probably will not.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#25232 - 11/02/03 05:37 PM
HeatherAdministrator

And the Sprite is probably sweetened with high fructose corn syrup - lots of it - and that's a trigger. Sprite plus deep fried french fries would have been the kiss of death for just about anyone with IBS.

Next time, try an herbal or decaf iced tea with some pretzels, dinner rolls, baked potato with salsa, or baked potato chips instead.

- H

--------------------

FRUCTOSE INTOLERANCE?? new
      #25246 - 11/02/03 07:07 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

How do you know if you have fructose intolerance? Does it show up on a biopsy like lactose intolerance does, or is it just something you have to discover on your own? thanks!

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

Re: FRUCTOSE INTOLERANCE?? new
      #25248 - 11/02/03 07:13 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - here's an article about the test web page

Remember that even if you're not fructose intolerant, large quantities of fructose could still trigger IBS symptoms. The test will just determine if you're completely intolerant.

- Heather

--------------------

For Maryh Re: Honey, etc. new
      #25258 - 11/02/03 08:43 PM
marnie

Mary,

Tks for the tip abt honey for allergies. Am sure gonna try it. Also tks for answering my At Wits End post........!

I saw yr. post re the colonoscopy and I felt like u know what for a few das......almost or even 1 wk. Course, the fact that the a.... had me on Levbid which made my heart skip and almost sent me into palpitations.....sure as heck didn t help either. I SURE HAD WRITTEN THAT ANYTHING THAT WAS A STIMULANT COULD DO THAT......rather WOULD do that!!! I don't think they pay 1 bit of attention to ANYTHING U SAY. After all.....how could they, when u only have 1 min. w/them????????????? Least that's how I feel!!!!!!!!!!

Went off that promethazine and did get my hands on some Librax and WOW......am feeling better and sure hope to sleep. I'd been on it 4x da. and this internist cut it to 2. IDIOT.........! NOW i have to see the GI re a pres. for Lib late this week.........! 1 Lib. won't do anything. Am taking an old.......! bottle showing that I took 4/day. It's REALLY great........ stuff!!!

It's bull........ fr. the Drs. I mean!

Sure hope you feel better soon!!!!!!!

Marnie

Re: Info about Honey. Thanks girls great info!! -nt- DITTO !!! -nt- new
      #25259 - 11/02/03 08:49 PM
marnie

Thanks for the Webpg HEATHER: Great Info - Sure bet I am! Re: FRUCTOSE INTOLERANCE? -nt-? new
      #25260 - 11/02/03 08:53 PM
marnie

Lucozade new
      #25277 - 11/03/03 05:48 AM
Linz

I should add that lucozade is carbonated so watch this. What I do when I want some is pour out a glass and then leave that and the open bottle until it's started to go flat...the weird things we have to do, eh!

Jasper new
      #25278 - 11/03/03 05:49 AM
Linz

Try posting a new post for each new subject - that way you might get more responses and it'll be less confusing on the boards.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6172

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review