All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Emotional Eating and IBS
      #24843 - 10/29/03 06:23 PM
nursejane

Reged: 09/09/03

I have had a stressful year which has flared my IBS up and it's been raging since March when I was diagnosed! Right now I'm in constipation mode but it could quickly turn to D-mode! Is there anyone here that is an emotional eater? I realize that when I get to the point I'm at that my pain is worse. I don't watch what I eat. I know I have this problem but don't know how to handle it and deal with the IBS too! I've had a rough day because I drank too much coffee this morning and had a Coke at lunch. Now I'm miserable! Taking the Bentyl helps along with a heating pad on my tummy. I just never know what's going to make it flair up and it's frustrating! Sometimes I could drink a pot of coffee and it would never bother me. Other days I drink one cup and I hurt all day long!

Anyone with suggestions to get on track? Where do I start?
Thanks,
Janie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Emotional Eating and IBS new
      #24853 - 10/29/03 07:10 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Janie - sorry you're feeling so bad. I'm not an emotional eater, but I was thinking you may benefit from Breaking the Cycle. Try to get yourself on a fiber supplement, if you're not already on one. If you can drink peppermint tea, that may help with the pain.

You should really stay away from the coffee & the Coke. They're bad news for IBS.

Hope you're feeling better soon. Take care.

#24891 - 10/30/03 06:47 AM
Dede1957

Reged: 10/21/03
Loc: Houston, TX, USA

Janie, I am an emotional eater, too. I started my cycle yesterday and had to have chocolate - lots of chocolate. But this morning I was hurting again. So I'm ready to get back to feeling good. I've only been on the program for 2 weeks, but I feel better than I have in 2 years. I guess us emotional eaters have to get to the point where we've had enough. My IBS-D was bad enough that I was nauseated and throwing up every couple weeks. And the pain - I was actually crying in church recently because it hurt so bad. So, as an emotional eater, I guess I had to "hit rock bottom" as they say in AA. In a lot of ways, emotional eating is an addiction, just like alcohol or drugs, but our drug of choice is usually sugar & fat. You get to a point where you say, "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired." Then you are ready to change what you eat.

I don't know if any of this will help, but maybe just knowing someone else is dealing with the same type of thing will make it a little easier to bear.

Good luck!
Diane

#24895 - 10/30/03 07:30 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm an emotional eater, I get depressed or upset and eat. I get terrible sweet cravings. I'm also trying to lose 10lbs and deal with IBS C. I agree with Mags, stay away from the coffee and pop. Anything carbonated and you really need to keep your water intake up with IBS. It is very hard to control my eating habits but some tips I have found to help. Try not to deprive yourself of the things you crave(other than coffee and pop!) if you need chocolate, try soy delicious ice cream, its really good! I can tolerate a cup of fat free hot coco once in a while also. If its salt try soy crisps, they are like potato chips but ok for us IBSers. Soy nuts are also good. If its pizza, try making your own with flat bread or muffins, use rice mozzerella cheese and chicken-yummy! Instead of depriving yourself, where you are more likely to binge, try to find substitues for the things you crave. Once you get stable, you can "sneak" a little treat once in a while. It is hard but it does get easier. Exercise really helps with the constipation, I know its the LAST thing you feel like doing when your in pain but it does help. Hope you feel better soon!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#24910 - 10/30/03 08:53 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Everyone is going to get sick of my obsession with them, but I have to mention Anti-depressant brownies again!

These are quick, easy and yummy. They satisfy chocolate cravings and feel like a 'bad' food whilst being safe as houses. Even my fussy housemates adore them. What more can I say...?

Have a go, girls.

Linz

#24913 - 10/30/03 08:55 AM
Dede1957

Linz, these brownies sound wonderful. Where can I find the recipe?
Thanks. Diane

#24916 - 10/30/03 09:01 AM
Dede1957

Never mind, Linz. I just found the recipe on the recipe link. Thanks. I can't wait for the weekend, so I can make these!!

#24973 - 10/30/03 01:39 PM
NancyS

Reged: 10/15/03

I second what Michele said! There is a ton of information on this site about "trigger" foods, what you CAN eat and what to stay away from. I fill up my drawers at work with things that I CAN eat so when I want to binge, it's very handy and won't cause me pain! However, another trigger with IBS is eating too much at one time. I've found that I can eat all of the right things but if I eat too much of them, it triggers and "attack" as well.

I've gotten to the point though that I'm sick of feeling sick...and it often stops me from continuing on an eating binge.

Good luck! Hope this helps!

#25000 - 10/30/03 10:23 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

jane i would recomend you not to drink so much coffee. because that causes some problems like that. i usse to drink coke all the time and got gas pains. your job you do must need alot of caffeene for you. i wonder if you ever tried ginseng in a herb pill. it gives engery alot of it. but you might want to ask your dr if you can with bentyl. hope your feeling beter jasper.

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

apple crisp new
      #25001 - 10/30/03 10:27 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

hi everyone. i got terrible gas pains last night after i ate apple crisp. is this a bad thing to eat? jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

Re: Emotional Eating and IBS-for NurseJane new
      #25085 - 10/31/03 06:08 PM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

Hi there- I am definitely an emotional eater too! The thing I have found helpful was finding recipes in Heather's books that gave me the same feeling as the high sugar and fat stuff I used to eat.
For example, the chocolate applesauce bread really helps me control chocolate cravings. I think the trick is that the substitute food has to really taste as good as the bad stuff
you're craving. Keep looking at recipes in the bread and dessert section-I bet you'll find something good
that will be easy on the stomach. Good luck! Linda

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Re: apple crisp new
      #25086 - 10/31/03 06:32 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Well, what was in it? The topping on fruit crisps can be very high in butter or shortening, and if the crisp was commercial and not homemade they might have used high fructose corn syrup to sweeten it.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3775 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2078

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review