All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
what are processed carbs?
      #24632 - 10/28/03 08:42 AM
bev82

Reged: 08/15/03

my doctor told me to stay away from processed carb to see if that helps with the IBS, besides white bread and pasta what else are processed carbs?

thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: what are processed carbs? new
      #24636 - 10/28/03 09:04 AM
Saralou

Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: Maryland

Unfortunately, anything that you have not made completely from scratch is considered processed. Even food that you may buy at a health food store or food that is organic is still somewhat processed (less so, but nonethless). As a rule of thumb, if it's in any sort of packaging, you can bet it's processed. Back in the day when people used to bake their own bread, churn their own butter, etc...we have come a long way from that for convenience and time purposes. That being said, I don't necessarily suggest that you start spending days in the kitchen, but try to keep all "processed" foods to a minimum. Preservatives, food coloring, etc. are all ingredients that can be omitted if you cook/bake yourself. It will take longer, but it will be much healthier and you will undoubtedly be better off for it.

#24638 - 10/28/03 09:16 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

My doctor has told me the same thing...but as you will see from surfing the "Breaking the Cycle" page of Heather's - this doesn't seem to be the problem.

You can still have pototoes and pasta.

Although some people have had trouble with the gluten - which can affect IBS, but only if the you have tried Breaking the Cycle and nothing seems to be working. *I think? I don't know for sure, because I don't have this trouble*

Take care and good luck,

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#24640 - 10/28/03 09:20 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

This is some pretty good general information on carbs

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/html/fw/fwNut03Carbs.html

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#24656 - 10/28/03 12:30 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - ask your doctor why he made this recommendation. It sounds like he wants you to eat a high insoluble fiber diet, but that can actually cause problems. White breads and pasta have soluble fiber, which will help you, but not insoluble. Interestingly, the more "processed" insoluble fiber (in terms of mechanical processes, like being finely ground or milled) the more tolerable it will be for IBS.

Check here for soluble vs. insoluble fiber for IBS web page Also check the research library under "diet" for research studies on fiber in IBS. And ask your doc to validate his dietary suggestions - just telling you to avoid processed carbs isn't giving you any reason why this would help you. I don't think it will help you, but I'd love to know why he thinks it might.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 395 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 716

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review